nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59401
View in linear mode

Subject: "Maha and eneloop" Previous topic | Next topic
Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Wed 26-Sep-12 11:28 PM
1362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Maha and eneloop"

Kimberley, CA

Yes, another battery question...

I am finding my battery use to be high enough these days that I'm finally going to invest in a rechargable system. In searching Nikonians I find lots of discussion leading me toward a Maha charger and Maha or Eneloop battries, but most posts are from several years ago.

So is Maha still the way to go? I'm looking at the MH-C801D or maybe 9000 chargers. I would like the 8 battery capacity, but is there any operational reason to consider the 9000 instead? Any other charger options to consider? (I'm fine with the price and size of the 801D if that is the best way to go).

How about batteries ( definitely the low discharge types as my usage is heavy but intermittent and I want to be able to just pull batteries out of the closet and go when necessary)? Immedion, Eneloop, or some other option I'm not aware of??

The Maha functions and manuals seem pretty complex -- can anyone point me toward a simple but comprehensive discussion of just how to use this thing?

Sorry to revisit these questions agin -- but any help or guidance will be much appreciated...

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Maha and eneloop
liamtoh1ps
27th Sep 2012
schadowrider Platinum Member
27th Sep 2012
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
27th Sep 2012
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
28th Sep 2012
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
28th Sep 2012
Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum.
29th Sep 2012
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
30th Sep 2012
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
30th Sep 2012

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012Thu 27-Sep-12 12:19 PM
309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Maha and eneloop"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I am extremely happy with the performance of La Crosse BC-900 charger using Eneloop batteries. I purchased this charger in 2006 and it still performs flawlessly. Unfortunately it is for only 4 batteries.

schadowrider Platinum Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2012Thu 27-Sep-12 04:30 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Maha and eneloop"
In response to Reply # 0

Rochester, US

I think the Maha and low discharge Eneloop and Imedion batteries are still a great way to go. These were all highly recommended by the instructor at the Nikonians Academy Speedlight Workshop I attended just a few months ago -- I ended up picking up the Maha MH-C801D charger and a bunch of batteries with 4-battery cases (mostly Imedions but some Eneloop too). The charger is very easy to use and the batteries have held their charge nicely so far (although I tend to cycle through the sets quite regularly).

Regards,
Glenn

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

http://shadowriderimages.com

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 27-Sep-12 07:36 PM
35255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Maha and eneloop"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 30-Sep-12 03:25 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Early this year I replaced my speedlights batteries with Eneloop 1,900 mAh, still bearing the Sanyo brand (Sanyo was acquired by Sony), and still have some Sony 2,000mAh

I have a Sony charger for 4 batteries and a MAHA MH-C801D Pro Eight Cell 1-Hour Charger (Can't remember if I paid $65 or about $75 USD).
It was hard for me to find out what was the latest model at the time.

When I bought mine, there was another one, the MH-C800S that recharged one to eight batteries in two hours for a lesser price.

Now there is a model MH-C808M that can recharge AA, AAA, C and D batteries.

The big advantage of the MH-C801D 8-cell Pro charger is that it is a very fast one.
In one hour it can recharge one to eight batteries or "soft-charge" in 2 hours.
The slots are independent. This is an extra advantage in case you mix sets by mistake with different charge levels. (I don't recharge all my speedlights at the same time -have four).
Worth the price in my opinion.

Nikonians owners of the MH-C9000 4-battery independent slots charger have only praise for the unit and its charge analysis capabilities.

I bought my charger and Eneloop batteries from Amazon.com.

They also have chargers for 4 batteries.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberFri 28-Sep-12 03:01 PM
6021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Maha and eneloop"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>So is Maha still the way to go? I'm looking at the MH-C801D
>or maybe 9000 chargers. I would like the 8 battery capacity,
>but is there any operational reason to consider the 9000
>instead? Any other charger options to consider? (I'm fine with
>the price and size of the 801D if that is the best way to
>go).

I bought three Maha MH-C800S chargers about eight years ago and they still work great today. I think the new ones are the MH-C801D that you mentioned, and they should work great for you.

>How about batteries ( definitely the low discharge types as my
>usage is heavy but intermittent and I want to be able to just
>pull batteries out of the closet and go when necessary)?
>Immedion, Eneloop, or some other option I'm not aware of??

I switched entirely to Eneloop LSD batteries. I get long life and never find them discharged due to sitting for a few weeks.

>The Maha functions and manuals seem pretty complex -- can
>anyone point me toward a simple but comprehensive discussion
>of just how to use this thing?

I just use the normal charge speed for newer batteries (say less than three years old). For older batteries I use the 'reconditioning' charge once in a while. It adds some life to old batteries, but I wouldn't depend on it. When the batteries get more than three years old, they begin to lose capacity, and I replace them.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 28-Sep-12 09:41 PM
8251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Maha and eneloop"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

Neal,

Yep, I have the 8 bay recharger and C9000. The later is my swiss army knife which is handy for checking the condition of your batteries periodically and with both, I can charge 12 at a time.

I have Imedions mostly, but I think my Eneloops are better batteries. I have had my Eneloops longer and the 8 of them are still with me. I bought the Imedions afterwards and have thrown 2 or 3 out. That's not very scientific and I expect both brands get the job done.

I haven't ventured into the high capacity Eneloops, because they cost more and have 1/3 the recharging life, 500 recharges versus 1,500. The 2000mAhr batteries are plenty adequate for me.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Sat 29-Sep-12 10:41 PM
1362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Maha and eneloop"
In response to Reply # 5

Kimberley, CA

Thanks to all for the discussion! This is a new area for me and as always Nikonians come through and help me make the right choices first, rather than after spending money finding I chose the wrong way the first time... One question -- Scott, you say the 9000 is "handy for checking the condition of your batteries periodically". Doesn't the more expensive -801D do this also?

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 30-Sep-12 01:29 PM
8251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Maha and eneloop"
In response to Reply # 6

Powder Springs, US

Neal,

As I understand it, the 801D doesn't truly report the condition of the batteries. It does tell you when to condition them. To me that's like advising you that they're near death and you should try CPR on them.

The C9000 has a charge/discharge cycle that measures the current mAh rating of the battery. You can detect their faultering before they fail you in the field and replace them when they're starting to go.

In my experience, batteries that need to be conditioned are on their death bed and not worth the hassle of rejuvenation attempts. Every so often, I recharge mine in the C9000 using the mode that checks their capacity. I replace them when their capacity drops significantly.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 30-Sep-12 02:32 PM
26905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Maha and eneloop"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I'm still using a C9000 and Maha Immedion batteries. I rarely need to recharge more than four at a time, so the smaller charger suits my purposes. I remember making the decision consciously about 6+ years ago, but I don't recall all of the parameters and anyway it may not have been the C801 then either.

As for usage of the C9000: I mostly just use the defaults, which seem to work quite well. I do use the break-in feature when I get new sets, and I've done a couple of refresh cycles on some of the older sets. I agree with the above that while the refresh seems to help, it doesn't help all that much. My oldest sets - which predate the low-discharge ones, so probably 6-7 years old - won't be making it past the end of the year.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59401 Previous topic | Next topic