Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59383
View in linear mode

Subject: "My new monster-SB-16." Previous topic | Next topic
LightMeter Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2011Fri 21-Sep-12 01:53 AM
869 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My new monster-SB-16."

Houston, Texas, US

KEH had this big guy for a good price. My D300 is no longer accurate with TTL flash, so that gives me a good excuse to play around with the pre-iTTL speedlights, and I've always wanted the SB-16. Just didn't realize how big it was!! It tips the scale at 520 grams with batteries, dwarfs the SB-80DX and SB-800. The trigger voltage is a safe 4.7v. The only thing I don't like is the non TTL auto aperture settings. At the D300's lowest ISO, 100, the choices are f/4 and f/8(my Pentax AF280 is the same). Many flashes let you shoot at 2.8 at ISO 100. The SB-80DX allows f/2 the largest f stop at 100 ISO. My favorite feature is the second wink light that helps provide fill when bouncing. And puts catchlights in their eyes without the bounce card. And it supports TTL with most compatible film cameras.

Bill

D7100 D300, F4e, N90s, N6006, N2000, N6000, N5005, black F2 eye level, chrome F2AS, black Nikomat FTN

So many cameras, so little time....

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: My new monster-SB-16.
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
21st Sep 2012
LightMeter Silver Member
22nd Sep 2012
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
22nd Sep 2012
Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum.
27th Sep 2012
LightMeter Silver Member
27th Sep 2012
Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum.
27th Sep 2012
MikeyBiker Silver Member
27th Sep 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 21-Sep-12 05:39 AM
26820 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My new monster-SB-16."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Bill,

Congratulations on your new Speedlight.
Have you seen an SB-11 or SB-14?
Enjoy!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

LightMeter Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2011Sat 22-Sep-12 01:08 AM
869 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My new monster-SB-16."
In response to Reply # 1

Houston, Texas, US

>Hi Bill,
>
>Congratulations on your new Speedlight.
>Have you seen an SB-11 or SB-14?

No I haven't seen them. I know the SB-11 is huge. I assume the 14 is too?

Bill

D7100 D300, F4e, N90s, N6006, N2000, N6000, N5005, black F2 eye level, chrome F2AS, black Nikomat FTN

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 22-Sep-12 04:12 AM
26820 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: My new monster-SB-16."
In response to Reply # 2

US

Yes.

They are both large "Potato Masher" (Handle) type Speedlights.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Thu 27-Sep-12 12:27 AM
1350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: My new monster-SB-16."
In response to Reply # 3

Kimberley, CA

I remember that flash -- I used one happily for several years, til it threw itself down a flight of concrete stairs (my fault -- not the flash) and was replaced by an SB-24. I don't remember much about the -16, but I guess it was pretty good, judging from my shots of that era...

Enjoy

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

LightMeter Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2011Thu 27-Sep-12 03:43 AM
#5. "RE: My new monster-SB-16."
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 27-Sep-12 03:46 AM by LightMeter

Houston, Texas, US

>I remember that flash -- I used one happily for several
>years, til it threw itself down a flight of concrete stairs
>(my fault -- not the flash) and was replaced by an SB-24. I
>don't remember much about the -16, but I guess it was pretty
>good, judging from my shots of that era...
>

Did you shove it down the stairs for an excuse to upgrade to the SB24

Bill

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Thu 27-Sep-12 06:04 AM
1350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: My new monster-SB-16."
In response to Reply # 5

Kimberley, CA

Well, I'm not sure I remember all the details, LOL. But I surely did love that -24! It was a revelation. Of course, a couple of years later I left it in the Press bus at an event and so lost it, and had to go out and get an SB-28.

I've never thought about it before, but there does seem to be a pattern here...

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

MikeyBiker Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2010Thu 27-Sep-12 06:32 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: My new monster-SB-16."
In response to Reply # 1

Valparaiso, US

Marty, just slightly off topic, but you mention the SB-11...
Do you know of any way to get it working TTL with my D7k?
I would experiment with indoor soccer and such pastimes.
Have fun,
mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59383 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.