Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59380
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash Commander Mode D7000 / SB-700" Previous topic | Next topic
BillS52 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2011Thu 20-Sep-12 06:43 PM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash Commander Mode D7000 / SB-700"

US

Thanks in advance, but I need to make sure I'm reading this right.

After reading the D7000 manual, the D7000 commands with pre-flashes only, not wireless. Correct?

However, my SB-700 if attached to the D7000 could broadcast wireless?

My next assignment is golf tourney, outdoors group shots.
I may mount two flash units on tripods. I'm afraid the sun may confuse the pre-flash, so I may need wireless.
SB-700 and SB-910, remote.

If using pre-flash-command in the sun is a concern, should I look at Cowboy or SU-800 or other?

Or just put one SB-XXX on camera and use its wireless to the remote SB-XXX? (not quite the light-spread I'd want)

The Groups will not be larger than 10, standing shoulder to shoulder..
Going shoot as close as practical with my Nikon 18-55 or Sigma 17-70.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flash Commander Mode D7000 / SB-700
MEMcD Moderator
20th Sep 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
23rd Sep 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
23rd Sep 2012
BillS52 Silver Member
23rd Sep 2012
MEMcD Moderator
24th Sep 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
24th Sep 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 20-Sep-12 07:47 PM
26428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash Commander Mode D7000 / SB-700"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Bill,

You are confusing IR (InfraRed) Wireless with RF (Radio Frequency) Wireless communication.
Currently Nikon Speedlights communicate using IR Wireless signals
You are correct that when shooting in bright ambient light IR wireless is often not reliable.

There are RF alternatives such as the Radio Poppers system and the Pocket Wizard MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 system that provide i-TTL flash control.
The Radio Poppers system reads the light pulses of the Commander and converts the data to RF signal that is decoded by the receiver.
The Pocket Wizard system reads the electrical signals through the cameras hotshoe and converts it to RF signal that is sent to the receiving unit so the attached Speedlight thinks it is attached to the camera.
If you don't mind using Manual flash control there are numerous options ranging from about $50.00 for a pair of triggers on e-bay to $300.00 or more per transceiver.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 23-Sep-12 12:46 AM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash Commander Mode D7000 / SB-700"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

I use a D7000 all the time to control two off-camera SB flashes. The Pop Up does it all, without wires. Distances are usually under 15 feet.

Just yesterday, the NY camera store — Adorama — sent me a video. It featured well known photographer and author Joe McNally demonstrating the power and range of an SB 800 strobe on a golf course in bright sunlight. At distances starting from 25 feet to a little more than 100 feet.

As a trigger he tried 3 methods a) pop up flash, dedicated SU 800 IR trigger, and a second SB-800 in the camera hot shoe.

He started walking from the camera position with a tape measure and an SB-800 in his hand while an assistant fired the shutter. The SB 800 in the hot shoe commanded the remout out to about 130 feet. But the pop up was pretty reliable out to 75 feet.

Bear in mind the the red plastic sensor an the right side of the SB 700 must face the camera for the IR to be effective.

If you send me an email, I'll forward the Adorama newsletter with the video. If I still have it.
gary.curtis.s60@gmail.com

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 23-Sep-12 12:53 AM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flash Commander Mode D7000 / SB-700"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 23-Sep-12 12:55 AM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

Here is a link to the video of Joe McNally testing IR Commander range in bright sun on a golf course.

http://www.adorama.com/alc/0013888/article/TTL-Transmission-Test-in-Bright-Sun-Ep-104-Photo-on-the-Go-with-Joe-McNally-Adorama-Photography-TV?kbid=64628

You might learn a lot from Joe's book on flashes – The Hotshoe Diaries. I did. And save your money by not buying Wireless Triggers. The Nikon CLS system works pretty good for modest ranges and if nothing blocks the signal from camera to flash. In that case, radio triggers are mandatory.

BillS52 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2011Sun 23-Sep-12 02:20 PM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Flash Commander Mode D7000 / SB-700"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thank you everybody, this is most helpful.

I discovered the IR window location issue on the SB-700 while researching Radio Popper.
Good tip: Point the IR Window at my D7K.

My remote flashes won't be more than 4 feet away. The head on the SB-700 can be point backwards, so I can keep the IR Windows pointed at the camera left and right.

Question - Remote Flash and the Red Focus Assist Window? If the flash is a remote and in TTL mode, does the red focus assist window need to be pointed at the subject?

My setup is going to be: D7000 in Commander Mode and using the Onboard Flash to provide Center Fill, two SB-700, one left, one right, for side fill. Both remotes pointing at silver umbrellas.
Subject - Groups of 8 standing shoulder to shoulder.

(maybe I don't need umbrella's?)

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 24-Sep-12 12:55 AM
26428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Flash Commander Mode D7000 / SB-700"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Bill,

>Question - Remote Flash and the Red Focus Assist Window? If
>the flash is a remote and in TTL mode, does the red focus
>assist window need to be pointed at the subject?

No!
The Focus Assist light doesn't even work when a Speedlight is in Remote mode.
The Focus Assisy light will only work when the Speedlight is Attched to the cameras hotshoe.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 24-Sep-12 02:05 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Flash Commander Mode D7000 / SB-700"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 24-Sep-12 02:22 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Or the SC-29 with the AF selector on the SC-29 turned on.
There are a pair of External AF-assist illuminator contacts just above the hot foot on the SB-600/700/800/900/910. The SC-29 has a switch on the back of the remote head that engages the 2 contacts with contacts on the Speedlight and enables the AF assist illuminator.

Since the PW Flex-TT5 can make an off camera master/commander look like it is wired to the camera, there is no feature to engage the AF Assist contacts like on the SC-29.

I found fast Track to Speed Lights is helpful because is show cameras and Speedlignts settings screens. It has the SB-700 but not the D7000. The images of the other cameras will give you an idea of how the D7000 setup screens should look like.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59380 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.