Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59359
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon SB-980 Radio trigger flash heads... anyone else h..." Previous topic | Next topic
hithere Registered since 07th Sep 2006Tue 18-Sep-12 01:00 AM
147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon SB-980 Radio trigger flash heads... anyone else heard this rumour?"

Melbourne, AU

Hi,

I have recently been investigating Radio Popper PX and Pocket Wizard TT1, AC3 & TT5 to use instead of Nikon's Creative Lighting System (CLS) outdoors. When I was told by another photographer (who may or may not be testing equipment for Nikon) said that early next year, Nikon 'may' release SB-980 with RADIO trigger built in. IF this is true, that and a revised SU-800 (or similar) will make Radio Popper and Pocket Wiz obsolete for Speedlite users. It does make sense that Nikon does this as Canon shooters are loving their 600EX-RT.

As you can imagine, I asked several follow up questions to that photographer but no further answers were given.

So... since there are so many of us here with great interest in Nikon products, I am wondering if anyone else have heard anything like this OR have I been told a 'story'?

Paul McLeod | BestPhotos.com.au
Melbourne Photographer

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon SB-980 Radio trigger flash heads... anyone el...
MEMcD Moderator
18th Sep 2012
hithere
18th Sep 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
18th Sep 2012
hithere
18th Sep 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
27th Sep 2012
hithere
27th Sep 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
27th Sep 2012
hithere
27th Sep 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
28th Sep 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
27th Sep 2012
hithere
28th Sep 2012
MEMcD Moderator
29th Sep 2012
hithere
30th Sep 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 18-Sep-12 03:51 AM
25048 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon SB-980 Radio trigger flash heads... anyone else heard this rumour?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Paul,

Anyone that does know about future Nikon products would have signed a non-disclosure agreement and can not say.
Given that Nikon has been the leader in off camera flash control, I suspect that it is only a matter of time before RF capability is built into Nikon Speedlights.

Why would you invest in both Radio Poppers and Pocket Wizard systems?
While a new RF capable Speedlight system will be a good thing, unless Nikon develops an affordable RF Transceiver that is backwards compatible with current and discontinued Nikon Speedlights, the price of entry will be very steep. Especially for those of us with multiple CLS Speedlights already.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

hithere Registered since 07th Sep 2006Tue 18-Sep-12 04:03 AM
147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon SB-980 Radio trigger flash heads... anyone else heard this rumour?"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 18-Sep-12 04:05 AM by hithere

Melbourne, AU

>Why would you invest in both Radio Poppers and Pocket Wizard
>systems?

Sorry about the confusion. I was investigating, as in researching, to see which might be best for my needs and I have concluded, for my needs, either were reliable enough so I have discounted them both.

Of course, people 'in the know' will not be able to disclose but there might be other's, like me, who may have hear something in our travels. I subscribe to the notion that, where there is smoke... there usually is fire. So, if it turns out that no one here have heard about radio triggered SB in development, maybe I was told a wonderful 'story'. If on the other hand, there are several people here who have heard the same 'whisper', maybe it is more credible. I'm not after any specific details about SB-980... just wondering if there is any merits to the story. That is all. If nothing else, it might make a topic for a good yarn!

BTW, if SB-980 (or whatever) is on the horizon, I am reasonably sure Nikon will not make it backwardly compatible so that shooters who wants that feature will have to buy new SB units... and yes, I know, it will hurt. I have 5 x SB units at the moment.

Paul McLeod | BestPhotos.com.au
Melbourne Photographer

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 18-Sep-12 07:24 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon SB-980 Radio trigger flash heads... anyone else heard this rumour?"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 18-Sep-12 07:30 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Canon has released the Speedlite 600EX-RT,an RF flash.

From the Canon site:
"New wireless multiple flash system using radio wave communication for enhanced control of up to five groups of flashes In addition to traditional optical wireless transmission, the Speedlite 600EX-RT facilitates radio controlled, two-way wireless transmission up to 98.4 feet, among up to 5 groups with a total of 15 individual Speedlites"

So it is possible Nikon might do the same or not. I expect they will be researching this, but considering how long it took PW to get up and running, it could be some time. Since the Canon unit is compatible with their older units, I think Nikon would also have to provide for that. That does not mean the the older units well get an RF retro fit but that the new flash unit will trigger the older flashes in the remote mode and the new unit could be optically triggered by the older units in the same manner as the optical only units.

There is the question of adding more groups as Canon has done. But I suspect that the new Canon groups are only available to the new flash units and are not compatible with the older units, so the older units will need to be in one of the original 3 groups.

RadioPopper and PocketWizard RF units both provide almost the exact same features, but RP needs a master/control flash on the camera, while PW can have the master/remote off the camera but needs a PW transmitter on the camera and the transceiver on the remote master/commander. PW can also mix PW compatible Canon eTTL units with compatible PW Nikon iTTL units. It is even possible to use the RP and PW systems with studio units.

Since there has not been a lot of noise about this new product, it is hard to tell what will happen. It could be the bad economic times or a reluctance to buy into a specific sophisticated flash system.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

hithere Registered since 07th Sep 2006Tue 18-Sep-12 10:31 PM
#4. "RE: Nikon SB-980 Radio trigger flash heads... anyone else heard this rumour?"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 18-Sep-12 10:34 PM by hithere

Melbourne, AU

>Since there has not been a lot of noise about this new
>product, it is hard to tell what will happen. It could be the
>bad economic times or a reluctance to buy into a specific
>sophisticated flash system.

Yes, indeed, who knows. I know about 80 professional photographers in my network and some of them have already dusted off their Canon gear and switched back! Minority of other Nikon faithfuls are considering just adding Canon body or two, primes and a handful of Speedlites to their gear. I have no intention of ever using two systems at the same time (I get confused easily!) but I will certainly not be investing in anymore Nikon SB-910s for at least 6months to see if what I heard was real.

And yes, 5 channels would delicious!!

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 27-Sep-12 06:06 PM
7853 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon SB-980 Radio trigger flash heads... anyone else heard this rumour?"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

Another fly in the ointment is whether the rumored units can be triggered by the Sekonic meters. We have waited along time for this technology to become available. It would be a shame at this point to have RF Speedlights that cannot be metered by group and collections of groups. Maybe I need to buy 3 SB-910s to get to the 7 Speedlights I would desire.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

hithere Registered since 07th Sep 2006Thu 27-Sep-12 10:46 PM
#6. "RE: Nikon SB-980 Radio trigger flash heads... anyone else heard this rumour?"
In response to Reply # 5

Melbourne, AU

>Another fly in the ointment is whether the rumored units can
>be triggered by the Sekonic meters. We have waited along time
>for this technology to become available. It would be a shame
>at this point to have RF Speedlights that cannot be metered by
>group and collections of groups. Maybe I need to buy 3 SB-910s
>to get to the 7 Speedlights I would desire.

Hi Scott, I believe Sekonic have been in bed with Pocket Wiz but not with Nikon or Canon so I cannot imagine that will be a priority suddenly.

I have not had any issues using my meter with SB flash units (rear sync method) but I just wish that SU-800 controller (specifically SEL button) did not cycle from Group A, then B, then C, then channel, etc., I want to be able to go and adjust Group B, then A, then B again, for example. I guess nothing works the way we all want them to work. I guess if we could switch the group ON and OFF a little bit more easily, may be maybe you can meter by group a little easier.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 27-Sep-12 10:56 PM
7853 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RE: Nikon SB-980 Radio trigger flash heads... anyone else heard this rumour?"

Powder Springs, US

Hitoshi,

You can with the L-478DR. You turn groups off and on as desired. When you trigger. the active groups fire sequentially. You get a read out for each group and the summed reading.

The new Speedlights would probably be incompatible with the CTL system. That would be a problem for me.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

hithere Registered since 07th Sep 2006Thu 27-Sep-12 11:10 PM
#8. "RE: Nikon SB-980 Radio trigger flash heads... anyone else heard this rumour?"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne, AU

>You can with the L-478DR. You turn groups off and on as
>desired. When you trigger. the active groups fire
>sequentially. You get a read out for each group and the summed
>reading.
>
>The new Speedlights would probably be incompatible with the
>CTL system. That would be a problem for me.

Hey Scott,

I stand corrected. Whatever happened to those dial type light meter photographers use to have for couple of decades? Now, we have to upgrade our light meters with new camera systems? Crazy stuff!

Paul

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 28-Sep-12 03:01 AM
#9. "RE: Nikon SB-980 Radio trigger flash heads... anyone else heard this rumour?"
In response to Reply # 8

Powder Springs, US

Paul,

Let me first apologize for calling you Hioshi. Your user name is similar at a glance and Hitoshi is really into CTL and Sekonic, like I am, and posts a lot on the subject.

I still use my Gossen Luna Pro and have the C.R.I.S. adapters, since the P645 mercury batteries are now taboo.

It is crazy stuff. They should standardize the radio protocols or they might put each other out of business. I think of all the investment in time and money that PocketWizard and Sekonic put into making this all work, only to be instantly obsoleted.

Of course, a Nikon built in RF solution would be rather lacking, if it doesn't confront ways to permit metering AND make receivers compatible with the older flash units. I guess they'll probably keep two flashes in their line up for professional work, one for those who don't want the expense of built in RF and use PWs and one for those that one built in RF ?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 27-Sep-12 10:56 PM
#7. "RE: Nikon SB-980 Radio trigger flash heads... anyone else heard this rumour?"
In response to Reply # 6

Powder Springs, US

Hitoshi,

You can with the L-478DR. You turn groups off and on as desired. When you trigger. the active groups fire sequentially. You get a read out for each group and the summed reading.

The new Speedlights would probably be incompatible with the CTL system. That would be a problem for me.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

hithere Registered since 07th Sep 2006Fri 28-Sep-12 04:42 AM
#10. "RE: Nikon SB-980 Radio trigger flash heads... anyone else heard this rumour?"
In response to Reply # 7

Melbourne, AU

Hi Scott,

Re: name - no harm done! : )

IF Nikon will build Canon competing radio equipped SB flash units, I would also think that they would copy Canon and make sure they are indeed backwardly compatible. For example, if a future SB-980 (let's just call it that for yet unannounced new radio equipped SB) was to be used as a master controller... it should send out trigger signal using both the optical RF and radio frequency so that if say Group A was other SB-980 and Group B was SB-800, one group will be triggered by radio and another by radio... I would hope this is how it would be implemented. I think it would alienate too many photographers, if new system could not work with the legacy system. Anyway.... time will tell if I am just dreaming OR it will become a reality.

Paul

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 29-Sep-12 11:53 PM
25048 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon SB-980 Radio trigger flash heads... anyone else heard this rumour?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Hi Paul,

Given Nikon's history of maintainin backward compatibility, I am very confident that if and when an RF capable Speedlight is introduced, it will be fully compatible with the current IR wireless flash control system.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

hithere Registered since 07th Sep 2006Sun 30-Sep-12 12:39 AM
#12. "RE: Nikon SB-980 Radio trigger flash heads... anyone else heard this rumour?"
In response to Reply # 11

Melbourne, AU

Hey Marty,

You are right. Nikon is very good with backward compatibility. Now it is just a matter of when? : )

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59359 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.