Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59345
View in linear mode

Subject: "flash heating up question" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Sun 16-Sep-12 09:44 AM
1403 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"flash heating up question"

US

I have a question about my sb600 flash and my d90 built in flash. I'm back to doing some more waterdrop pictures, and if you all remembered I was totally frustrated by the fact that after I finally got some drops streaming down into my glass dish, my camera would stop taking the pictures and we all came to the conclusion that it was due to the safety of the flash not overheating. My question is this: was that my sb600 or my d90's flash that was preventing me from clicking the shutter? I can't remember. And if it was the camera, would the 300 allow me to take my shots longer? I know I have a heck of a way of explaining things, but long story short, here is the process. I have my bag of water suspended from my tripod above a glass baking dish full of water. I have my camera on a tripod aimed at where my drops will be hitting the water in the dish. I have my flash off camera mounted on a stand sitting beside my dish of water aimed at my background, (that's how I get my colors of my drops.) I then poke a small hole in my bag of water that's suspended and the drops start to drip in the dish. I then use my remote chord and start clicking. It will let me get quite a few shots in one right after another, but it never fails, as soon as I start to see some cool looking drops, my camera stops firing and I have to wait, it seems like forever, (which irritates me, then I can fire off maybe 2 or 3 more clicks and then I wait again. Of course, by that time, I'm so irritated because my water from my bag is draining. See what I'm saying. So, back to my long story short, is it my camera's flash that is doing the overheat safety thing or is it my sb600? Just couldn't remember? And what could be my solution to this problem or isn't there really any just more patience on my side,,(that won't happen hehehe)
Hey, one more thing, has anyone ever used the "stop shot" system? It's something that hooks directly to your flash that syncs, or so they say, to the drops.

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: flash heating up question
elec164 Silver Member
16th Sep 2012
pasknucklehead Silver Member
17th Sep 2012
elec164 Silver Member
17th Sep 2012
17th Sep 2012
aolander Silver Member
17th Sep 2012
17th Sep 2012
17th Sep 2012
18th Sep 2012

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 16-Sep-12 02:15 PM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: flash heating up question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I have a question about my sb600 flash and my d90 , is it my camera's flash that is >doing the overheat safety thing or is it my sb600?

Do either even have a thermal cutout? A quick search of the flash manuals seems to indicate the thermal cutout wasn't added till the SB700 & 900.

When I was doing testing while replying to your original thread about water drops I usd my SB800 and D7000 with the WCLS and also with the SC-29 and never ran into a shutdown issue. On the other hand I would suggest that if you are firing many shots in a row that the camera's buffer might be at issue, not the flash overheating.

It is easy to tell in that when you run into the pause, look at the back of the camera for the memory access lamp. If it's flickering green, it's a memory buffer issue.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 17-Sep-12 02:11 AM
1403 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: flash heating up question"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hey Pete, how's it going? No, that's the first thing I looked at and it isn't the buffer. I remember talking about this before on here, and I think we finally figured out that it was some kind of safety thing but I can't find the thread and I don't know which one was the problem. At first when I was using my 600 ON the camera I had that problem, then when I moved my flash off camera it gave me a little more clicks, but still slowed way down after the first round fired off. I mean, I let the camera sit for a couple of minutes and start shooting again, but that is such a pain when my water is dripping away. See what I mean?

Darlene

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 17-Sep-12 03:15 AM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: flash heating up question"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>Hey Pete, how's it going?

Things could be better!

>l I remember talking about
>this before on here, and I think we finally figured out that
>it was some kind of safety thing but I can't find the thread

Perhaps this is the thread you were referring to?

Pete

Pete

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 17-Sep-12 03:00 PM
#4. "RE: flash heating up question"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Ahhh Pete sorry to hear that things could be better. Remember, everything happens for a reason......I checked that link to the thread and yep, that was it...So I am thinking that it is the d90 flash that's the culprit and I guess there is no way around that. Anyone know if the d300 would pose the same problem for me? Just wondering....

Darlene

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 17-Sep-12 03:10 PM
3191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: flash heating up question"
In response to Reply # 4

Nevis, US

I doubt the D300 would perform any differently. Why don't you use an off camera cord (SB-17, etc.) to the SB-600 and not use the camera's flash as a trigger. Would be worth a try.

Alan

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 17-Sep-12 06:40 PM
#6. "RE: flash heating up question"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Oh man, why didn't I think of that...I will give that a try and let you all know...thanks my friend...

Darlene

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 17-Sep-12 11:53 PM
#7. "RE: flash heating up question"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Okay, dug out my sc17 chord, attached it to the camera and the flash, and it doesn't fire. Is there something else I need to do to make it work? I have the camera in commander mode still, the onboard flash at -- . I can still use my remote correct? Don't know why it isn't working.

Darlene

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Tue 18-Sep-12 12:21 AM
#8. "RE: flash heating up question"
In response to Reply # 7

US

OK, OK, SO I PANICKED!!! It wouldn't work, because duh, I had it in commander mode, and SINCE I'm not using my camera as a commander per say, it doesn't need or will WORK in that mode. So, I reset everything back to ttl and there you go...See, I'm getting it,,,the hard way, but I'm getting it.....yippee...

Darlene

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59345 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.