nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

flash heating up question

pasknucklehead

US
1457 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008
Sun 16-Sep-12 09:44 AM

I have a question about my sb600 flash and my d90 built in flash. I'm back to doing some more waterdrop pictures, and if you all remembered I was totally frustrated by the fact that after I finally got some drops streaming down into my glass dish, my camera would stop taking the pictures and we all came to the conclusion that it was due to the safety of the flash not overheating. My question is this: was that my sb600 or my d90's flash that was preventing me from clicking the shutter? I can't remember. And if it was the camera, would the 300 allow me to take my shots longer? I know I have a heck of a way of explaining things, but long story short, here is the process. I have my bag of water suspended from my tripod above a glass baking dish full of water. I have my camera on a tripod aimed at where my drops will be hitting the water in the dish. I have my flash off camera mounted on a stand sitting beside my dish of water aimed at my background, (that's how I get my colors of my drops.) I then poke a small hole in my bag of water that's suspended and the drops start to drip in the dish. I then use my remote chord and start clicking. It will let me get quite a few shots in one right after another, but it never fails, as soon as I start to see some cool looking drops, my camera stops firing and I have to wait, it seems like forever, (which irritates me, then I can fire off maybe 2 or 3 more clicks and then I wait again. Of course, by that time, I'm so irritated because my water from my bag is draining. See what I'm saying. So, back to my long story short, is it my camera's flash that is doing the overheat safety thing or is it my sb600? Just couldn't remember? And what could be my solution to this problem or isn't there really any just more patience on my side,,(that won't happen hehehe)
Hey, one more thing, has anyone ever used the "stop shot" system? It's something that hooks directly to your flash that syncs, or so they say, to the drops.

Darlene

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: flash heating up question

G