Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59325
View in linear mode

Subject: "Shooting indoors with Built in Flash on D200" Previous topic | Next topic
westacott Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2005Fri 14-Sep-12 02:13 PM
175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Shooting indoors with Built in Flash on D200"
Fri 14-Sep-12 02:17 PM by westacott

Coleraine., GB

Sorry for the short notice but I have been asked to a house party tonight where a few friends and relatives are gathering and they know I do a bit of photography so I was asked if I would bring my camera along.. Now this is something I never do as I mostly always shoot ambient light outdoors and as such I do not possess a speedlight. I am looking for a bit of advice re camera settings for a D200 using the built in camera flash for shooting indoors. As you have guessed by now I`m sure flash is definitely not my forte. Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Ian

What you see depends on what you`re looking for. - Unknown

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Fri 14-Sep-12 03:46 PM
996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Shooting indoors with Built in Flash on D200"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Hi Ian,

If it is a normal medium sized house you will be fine with the built in flash. Just a couple of points:

If the ambient lighting is fairly low and you use the TTL setting then you must use "Spot" metering to ensure the flash properly illuminates the subject(s). Just use "P" mode unless you have a chance to try "M" mode set at 1/80 at F4 and see what you get. ISO should be set to 400 but may be OK at 200.

If you have focussing problems then the focus assist light should be switched on.

This is a VERY short response to your urgent request :>)

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

westacott Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2005Fri 14-Sep-12 04:14 PM
175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Shooting indoors with Built in Flash on D200"
In response to Reply # 1

Coleraine., GB

Hi,
Thank you very much indeed for that info - much appreciated. It was good of you to answer at such short notice. I will give those settings you suggested a try and see how I get on. They should work o.k. I`m sure as the room is just in a normal size house and the built in speedlight output should be well able to cope I would have thought. Most if not all shots will be at a reasonably close range anyway.
Just one point - you mention if I use the TTL setting - what exactly do you mean by that. I thought all I had to do was pop up the flash and it would be on TTL. Is there something I am not understanding here.
Once again thanks for your help.
Ian

What you see depends on what you`re looking for. - Unknown

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Sat 15-Sep-12 11:16 AM
996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Shooting indoors with Built in Flash on D200"
In response to Reply # 2

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Sorry, a belated reply...

With the built in flash you can select TTL, manual, repeating and commander mode but you are right I think it defaults to TTL.

BTW How did the session go? I hope well!

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59325 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.