Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59302
View in linear mode

Subject: "SU-4" Previous topic | Next topic
briafast Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2010Fri 07-Sep-12 11:51 AM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SU-4"

New York, US

I bought an SU-4 to do some off camera work with my SB700.

Does anybody know a good internet source to learn how to use it.

I have never before and need to. I understand the concept I just need to know the techs to slave it to the flash and camera.

I with be using a D90 or a D7000

Brian Fass
Cinematographer
www.brianfass.com
Photographer
www.brianfassphotography.com
brianfass@me.com
NYC

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Fri 07-Sep-12 01:22 PM
1468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SU-4"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 07-Sep-12 01:22 PM by Luke_Miller

Rural Virginia, US

I use the SU-4 fairly regularly in an all manual flash setup in my small basement studio. I put one of my old (pre-iTTL) flashes on it for use as a background or hair light.

Recently I started using it on location to light the background when using my SB-800 on camera. The SU-4 flash is set to manual, while the on-camera flash is in TTL mode. The TTL pre-flash will trigger the SU-4 flash creating the possibility that the SU-4 unit won't recycle quick enough to trigger from the main flash.

To prevent this I use the FV Lock function. FV Lock generates the pre-flash and calculates the flash exposure, but does not fire the main flash. The SU-4 fires on this pre-flash, but FV Lock then eliminates pre-flashes in the subsequent exposures. So I have effectively created a manual flash configuration using TTL. After FV Lock is set, the SU-4 flash fires only from the SB-800's main flash.

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

briafast Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2010Fri 07-Sep-12 02:15 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SU-4"
In response to Reply # 1

New York, US

I am a little new to all that lingo could you gear me to some info on the web to clear all that up so I can use the SU-4

My main purpose for using it is to have an off camera flash that does not come from the front possibly from the side or 3/4

Thanks

Brian Fass
Cinematographer
www.brianfass.com
Photographer
www.brianfassphotography.com
brianfass@me.com
NYC

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 07-Sep-12 03:01 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SU-4"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

If you check your SB-700 manual, you will see the SB-700 has a built-in SU-4 mode, pages D-3 and D-18. The SB-800/900/910 also have a built-in SU-4 mode.

The SU-4 is a hang over accessory from the TTL film cameras and Speedlights. The SU-4 base has an optical sensor, as does your SB-700, that will trigger a flash unit attached to the SU-4's hot shoe. The attached light will either flash (M - Manual mode) or stay on as long ss the master flash is firing (A-Auto mode). Since the SU-4 uses an optical sensor, the sensor must be along the unobstructed line of sight to the master flash. This also applies to the built-in sensor on the Speedlight.

When using the SU-4 or the SU-4 mode the remote flash unit is in the manual flash mode and you will need to set the level of light emitted from the remote on the remote unit. This is the power level.

You should have received the SU-4 Instruction Manual when you purchased the SU-4. There are pictures there that can help.

You can also use the Advance Wireless features of your cameras and the SB-700 to automatically compute the exposure for all the Nikon CLS flash units you are using.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59302 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.