Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Your opinion on expansion path - IR CLS or go RF manual?

Estoril, PT
350 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010
Wed 05-Sep-12 10:16 AM | edited Wed 05-Sep-12 10:18 AM by jadiniz

Need to consult with the experienced people around here. Here's my dilemma:

I'm already using an SB700 with great sucess both on and off-camera, using Nikon's fantastic CLS/IR wireless (built-in as commander). And now I'd very much like to add a second flash, but finances are short, and I have two paths available, both for the same kind of money:

1. Buy an old SB800 with a hotshoe malfunction, that still works perfectly as a CLS wireless slave. This option would give me two speedlights to be controlled inteligently by the built-in, but has the normal limitations of IR control: distance, obstacles and difficult triggering in high ambient light levels (outdoor).

2. Buy a Yongnuo 460-II or similar, and a set of RF-602 radio triggers with two receivers, and work both speedlights in full manual mode, radio control. More hard work, but more options in light placement and reliable triggering.

I predict that indoors and/or low light levels will be the typical scenario, although not your typical studio portrait setup (yeah, I'd like to get creative strobist style), and the SB800 should be a great, powerfull speedlight, even with the hot-shoe problem. For on-camera bounce work my SB700 is great, too. So, would my doors open if I jumped the RF manual control bandwagon?
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.