Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59292
View in linear mode

Subject: "Your opinion on expansion path - IR CLS or go RF manual..." Previous topic | Next topic
jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Wed 05-Sep-12 10:16 AM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Your opinion on expansion path - IR CLS or go RF manual?"
Wed 05-Sep-12 10:18 AM by jadiniz

Estoril, PT

Need to consult with the experienced people around here. Here's my dilemma:

I'm already using an SB700 with great sucess both on and off-camera, using Nikon's fantastic CLS/IR wireless (built-in as commander). And now I'd very much like to add a second flash, but finances are short, and I have two paths available, both for the same kind of money:

1. Buy an old SB800 with a hotshoe malfunction, that still works perfectly as a CLS wireless slave. This option would give me two speedlights to be controlled inteligently by the built-in, but has the normal limitations of IR control: distance, obstacles and difficult triggering in high ambient light levels (outdoor).

2. Buy a Yongnuo 460-II or similar, and a set of RF-602 radio triggers with two receivers, and work both speedlights in full manual mode, radio control. More hard work, but more options in light placement and reliable triggering.

I predict that indoors and/or low light levels will be the typical scenario, although not your typical studio portrait setup (yeah, I'd like to get creative strobist style), and the SB800 should be a great, powerfull speedlight, even with the hot-shoe problem. For on-camera bounce work my SB700 is great, too. So, would my doors open if I jumped the RF manual control bandwagon?

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Wed 05-Sep-12 12:30 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Your opinion on expansion path - IR CLS or go RF manual?"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

I'm not sure what you mean by having your "doors open", but personally, going to basic radio triggers forced me to become more skilled using manual flash setups. Now I can use either radio or CLS with a fair amount of confidence.

If I find that CLS isn't working I can quickly switch to radio triggers. In a studio I generally use radio triggers so I have complete control over the camera and strobes.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Wed 05-Sep-12 01:19 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Your opinion on expansion path - IR CLS or go RF manual?"
In response to Reply # 1

Estoril, PT

Good arguments, thanks for your reply. Learning the different sides of technique is indeed very good.

By opening doors, I am referring to new possibilities. Stictly amateur, no formal studio work, the situations I'd like to light up should be varied and dynamic. What I'm looking for is versatility without a price tag (or at least for the smallest amount of money).

A little over 100€ will get me either this crippled SB800, or the YN and RF triggers. Were would you spend your money, and why?

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 06-Sep-12 07:02 AM
34321 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Your opinion on expansion path - IR CLS or go RF manual?"
In response to Reply # 2

San Pedro Garza García, MX

This remind me of a foreman I had -in my cowboy days- who said "Never buy a lame horse. He would love you dearly but you will never race with it or maybe not even mount him".
So I would not buy a defective speedlight.
Wait to find another fully working one.
Going with triggers is technically sound but maybe not financially.
Good and reliable triggers that go beyond the Nikon CLS ranges are not inexpensive.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 07-Sep-12 03:24 AM
25732 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Your opinion on expansion path - IR CLS or go RF manual?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jose,

Unless the price is dirt cheap, I would get a used SB-600 before a damaged SB-800.
I started out using Manual flash with optical slaves decades ago.
Shooting digital should make the learning curve much less steep than w\shooting with film.
Go with what you feel most comfortable with.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59292 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.