Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59257
View in linear mode

Subject: "Backlighting and flash" Previous topic | Next topic
John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sat 01-Sep-12 12:29 PM
633 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Backlighting and flash"
Sat 01-Sep-12 12:32 PM by John Bertotti

Garretson, US

Very close to getting an SB910, normal kids operations slowed down my acquisition. My question is now about back lighting. Do any of you use constant light for back lighting? A fluorescent, or incandescent, maybe halogen light for back lighting? I ask because these are things readily available to me but I don't know how well they will play with the flash once I get it? Is this where the different flash filters come into play?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 02-Sep-12 05:23 PM
25926 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Backlighting and flash"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi John,

When I use flash, I never mix and match. I use flash for the key light, fill light, background light, and hair light. Mixing light sources can cause whitbalancece issues that can be overcome using filters. The other problem you will encounter is the light output of the flash is usually significantly greater than the output of hot lights so you may have to crank down the power of the flash. In addition, your subject(s) will more than likely find the hot lights quite uncomfortable unless you are using the CF type since they generate much less heat than incandescent or halogen bulbs.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sun 02-Sep-12 07:01 PM
633 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Backlighting and flash"
In response to Reply # 1

Garretson, US

Good info but I suppose I will have to try and see just what happens, forewarned is fare armed. Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59257 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.