Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59224
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash is "stuck", " Previous topic | Next topic
LMagee Silver Member Nikonian since 20th May 2008Mon 27-Aug-12 10:43 AM
248 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash is "stuck", "

Pittsburgh, US

Hi! I am hoping someone can help me. I have an sb600 flash that seems to be stuck in M mode. According to the manual, I just need to press zoom button until it disappears. All that did was cycle through the numbers a bunch of times. I also tried clearing it to the factory default settings, but the M is still there. Is there something else I can try, or is there something wrong with my flash?
Thanks!
Lisa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flash is "stuck",
aolander Silver Member
27th Aug 2012
WD4MLA Silver Member
27th Aug 2012
LMagee Silver Member
27th Aug 2012
Covey22 Moderator
27th Aug 2012
LMagee Silver Member
28th Aug 2012
Covey22 Moderator
28th Aug 2012
WD4MLA Silver Member
27th Aug 2012
LMagee Silver Member
28th Aug 2012
blw Moderator
28th Aug 2012
LMagee Silver Member
28th Aug 2012

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 27-Aug-12 01:31 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash is "stuck", "
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Are you talking about "M" manual flash mode or the "M" you see over the "Zoom" setting? To cycle through the flash exposure modes (TTL, TTL/BL, M) you press the "Mode" button. To cycle through the manual zoom settings you press the "Zoom" button.

Alan

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 27-Aug-12 01:39 PM
897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash is "stuck", "
In response to Reply # 0

Sylva, US

Hi Lisa,

If I understand your problem correctly, you are trying to change the mode?? On page 26 of the manual, you should only have to press the mode button to change it. Have I misunderstood the problem?

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

LMagee Silver Member Nikonian since 20th May 2008Mon 27-Aug-12 02:56 PM
248 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flash is "stuck", "
In response to Reply # 2

Pittsburgh, US

Hi Jerry. That's what I thought. It does not change anything other than the number settings when I do that, though. (24mm, 50mm, etc.)
Lisa

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 27-Aug-12 03:27 PM
10575 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Flash is "stuck", "
In response to Reply # 0

US

A couple of things to try:

1. Pull the batteries on the flash. Let it sit a while. Alternatively when you re-insert them, use fresh ones if they already aren't new.

2. I've had some luck mounting the flash (powered off) on a camera, powering up the camera, then the flash. Then it recognizes it's mounted correctly, slips into iTTL mode and behaves normally. You may need to do this a few times.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

LMagee Silver Member Nikonian since 20th May 2008Tue 28-Aug-12 12:52 AM
#6. "RE: Flash is "stuck", "
In response to Reply # 4

Pittsburgh, US

Armando, I think that might have worked! I'm not sure, but when I turned it on, the M was gone. I can't thank you enough. It always amazes me how much wonderful support I get on this site. Thank you again!
Lisa

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 28-Aug-12 01:36 PM
10575 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Flash is "stuck", "
In response to Reply # 6

US

No problem. Glad it worked!

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 27-Aug-12 04:41 PM
897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Flash is "stuck", "
In response to Reply # 0

Sylva, US

Lisa,

It sounds like you are pressing the ZOOM button, as you stated in your original post. When you press the MODE button it changes the zoom settings??

If you are trying to go into auto zoom, my SB800 changes from M Zoom to Auto when I mount it on the camera. Is your flash mounted on your camera?

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

LMagee Silver Member Nikonian since 20th May 2008Tue 28-Aug-12 12:56 AM
#7. "RE: Flash is "stuck", "
In response to Reply # 5

Pittsburgh, US

Hi Jerry. Maybe that was part of the problem. I did have it on the camera at first, but then I was just working on the flash. It seems to have cleared itself when I put in new batteries and put it back on the camera. Thank you so much for your help!

Lisa

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 28-Aug-12 07:20 AM
26574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Flash is "stuck", "
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Sounds like the flip-down diffuser was, well, flipped down. That sets the zoom to manual and the focal length match to ultra-wide.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

LMagee Silver Member Nikonian since 20th May 2008Tue 28-Aug-12 03:31 PM
#10. "RE: Flash is "stuck", "
In response to Reply # 8

Pittsburgh, US

Brian,

I will check that when I get home. I have a diffuser on it, so I can't see if that part is down or not. It did sound like it was making a funny noise - so maybe that was the problem the whole time. I will definately check that out.

Thank you!

Lisa

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59224 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.