Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59136
View in linear mode

Subject: "Pocket Wizards and Nikon Speedlights" Previous topic | Next topic
aces1202 Registered since 12th Mar 2008Fri 17-Aug-12 02:49 AM
314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Pocket Wizards and Nikon Speedlights"

Wilmington, US

I have a D90 (built in commander), a SB800, and a SB600.
I just purchased some pocketwizards 2nd hand and have been trying to research the web for info on what I need to set these up. I'm pretty sure I need some kind of PC cable for the SB800, and a universal flash adapter for the SB600 since it doesn't have a PC cable plug.
Here are my questions:

1. Do my flashes have to work in manual mode?
2. What adapters, cords, etc do I need to make both flashes remote?
3. Can I use a setup where my SB800 is on-camera and hooked up to the pocketwizard so the CLS will still work, or do I always have to set each flash unit on the unit itself?

I plan on getting a studio light someday, but for now I just want to master the different ways to setup the speedlights with the PW's. Any help is greatly appreciated. My head is spinning from trying to research on the internet.

------------------------------------
"”The quickest way to double your money is to fold it over and put it back in your pocket.” - Will Rogers

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Pocket Wizards and Nikon Speedlights
MEMcD Moderator
17th Aug 2012
aces1202
17th Aug 2012
MEMcD Moderator
17th Aug 2012
aces1202
17th Aug 2012
MEMcD Moderator
17th Aug 2012
aces1202
17th Aug 2012
MEMcD Moderator
18th Aug 2012
aces1202
19th Aug 2012
MEMcD Moderator
19th Aug 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
17th Aug 2012
aces1202
17th Aug 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
17th Aug 2012
aces1202
17th Aug 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 17-Aug-12 03:06 AM
26118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Pocket Wizards and Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Hank,

What model of Pocket Wizards did you buy?

The answers to your questions depend on the model of Pocket Wizard you have.
If you have a PW Plus, PlusII, Plus III, or MultiMax you will be limited to Manual Flash mode.

If you have the MiniTT1 and or FlexTT5 you can take advantage of RF wireless TTL flash control or Manual flash control.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

aces1202 Registered since 12th Mar 2008Fri 17-Aug-12 12:26 PM
314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Pocket Wizards and Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 1

Wilmington, US

I will have 4 pocketwizards:

1 Plus II transceiver
1 Plus transmitter
2 Plus receivers

Hopefully someday I'll be able to afford the Mini/Flex system.

"”The quickest way to double your money is to fold it over and put it back in your pocket.” - Will Rogers

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 17-Aug-12 02:48 PM
26118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Pocket Wizards and Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Hank,

With the Plus and Plus II series as I stated above you are limited to manual flash control.
If your PW's came with the standard cords, you should be ready to go with your SB-800. If not you need: 1/8" (3.5mm) Mini Phone jack to male PC cord to connect it to the SB-800. You will need the same cord and a PC to Hotshoe adaptor to connect the PW to your SB-600.
Good luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

aces1202 Registered since 12th Mar 2008Fri 17-Aug-12 02:51 PM
#4. "RE: Pocket Wizards and Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 3

Wilmington, US

Thanks Marty, that answers my question perfectly.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 17-Aug-12 02:57 PM
#5. "RE: Pocket Wizards and Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Hank,

Your welcome!
Keep in mind that PW makes cords that will allow you to shoot your camera remotely as well. Check www.pocketwizard.com
Enjoy your new Pocket Wizards.

Best Regards,
Marty

aces1202 Registered since 12th Mar 2008Fri 17-Aug-12 05:01 PM
#8. "RE: Pocket Wizards and Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 5

Wilmington, US

I just read the PW PlusII manual and it appears that it can only transmit one channel at a time. I guess that if I'm using three remote flashes, they all have to be on the same channel?

No a huge problem, since I can unplug the PW's when testing individual flashes.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 18-Aug-12 04:49 PM
#11. "RE: Pocket Wizards and Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Hi Hank,

>I just read the PW PlusII manual and it appears that it can
>only transmit one channel at a time. I guess that if I'm
>using three remote flashes, they all have to be on the same
>channel?

Yes! You can have any number of Flash Units each attached to a PW set to the same channel and they will all fire in sync.
If you have a several sets (up to 4) of strobes or speedlights you can set up multiple groups each on a different channel and just change the channel on the transmitter to change you lighting set up.

You can also fire your camera remotely using one channel (eg. 2) and have the strobes or speedlights set on the next higher channel (eg. 3 in this case) and the strobe and or speedlights will fire in sync with the remote camera.
PW provides a great deal of versatility.

You can also get a Sekonic Light Meter with a PW Trasceiver built in to measure the light output so you can set the appropriate exposure or power level for a correct exposure.

Best Regards,
Marty

aces1202 Registered since 12th Mar 2008Sun 19-Aug-12 04:02 AM
#12. "RE: Pocket Wizards and Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 11

Wilmington, US

Marty,
So if I have my SB800 on channel 1, and the SB600 on channel 2, can I still have them both go off together when I want them too, while still enjoying the benefit of being able to fire them individually during setup?

I checked into the PC cords for remote shutter release with PW, and it's about $95.00. Nice idea, but maybe will have to wait on that one.

>Yes! You can have any number of Flash Units each attached to
>a PW set to the same channel and they will all fire in sync.
>If you have a several sets (up to 4) of strobes or speedlights
>you can set up multiple groups each on a different channel and
>just change the channel on the transmitter to change you
>lighting set up.
>
>You can also fire your camera remotely using one channel (eg.
>2) and have the strobes or speedlights set on the next higher
>channel (eg. 3 in this case) and the strobe and or speedlights
>will fire in sync with the remote camera.
>PW provides a great deal of versatility.
>
>You can also get a Sekonic Light Meter with a PW Trasceiver
>built in to measure the light output so you can set the
>appropriate exposure or power level for a correct exposure.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!
>

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 19-Aug-12 06:50 AM
#13. "RE: Pocket Wizards and Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Hi Hank,

>So if I have my SB800 on channel 1, and the SB600 on channel
>2, can I still have them both go off together when I want them
>too, while still enjoying the benefit of being able to fire
>them individually during setup?

No! It is not possible.
If you want the flashes to fire together, they must be set to the same channel.

You can take advantage of Quad Zone Triggering available on the: Plus III, and MultiMax units. When using channels 16-32 there are four (Quad) zones avalable (A, B, C, & D) on each channel that can be switched on or off at the transmitting unit as desired. That would allow you to set up your SB-800 on Channel 17 zone A, your SB-600 on Channel 17 zone B, and an SB-900 on Channel 17 zone C, an AB800 on Channel 17 zone D. You could then trigger each flash unit alone or in any combination by turning each zone on or off at the on camera transmitting unit.

The Speedcycler function available on the MultiMax Transceivers will allow you to fire each zone sequencially. This will allow you quickly capture up to 4 images without worrying about the recycle time of the flash or speedlight.

>I checked into the PC cords for remote shutter release with
>PW, and it's about $95.00. Nice idea, but maybe will have to
>wait on that one.

The PW cords are not inexpensive but they work very well.
Flashzebra has some camera cords priced significantly cheaper but I have never tried them.

Best Regards,
Marty

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 17-Aug-12 03:19 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Pocket Wizards and Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

Look at PocketWizard Cables and Accessories

For the the SB-800 and SB-600 with a hot shoe with a PC socketPC5N.

PC Sync Cables

For the D90 N-MCDC2 for shutter trigger only and N-MCDC2-P for pre-trigger and shutter release.

Plus II Transceiver Plus II Transceiver Owner\'s Manual

The Plus units are not listed on the PW site.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

aces1202 Registered since 12th Mar 2008Fri 17-Aug-12 04:50 PM
#7. "RE: Pocket Wizards and Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 6

Wilmington, US

Thanks for your help George.

As a followup, I have some additional information for all you SB600 owners who have PW Plus models. Since the SB600 does not have a PC hole for a plug you need a hotshoe adapter (as explained by Marty). I called BH and they said that they sell the adapter and the cord, but for some unknown reason they do not work with the SB600.
They recommended that I contact flashzebra.com.
Flashzebra has a special combo for the SB600 flash and the direct link is http://flashzebra.com/products/0151/index.shtml

Thanks fellow Nikonians for you help. You probably saved me hours of time and perhaps some dinero.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 17-Aug-12 08:31 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Pocket Wizards and Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 7

Chicago, US

It maybe an issue with the all the contacts on the SB-600 hotfoot getting shorted by the metal foot of the hot shoe adapter.
Paramount Miniphone (Pocket Wizard) to Female Hot Shoe Sync Cord - 1\' Straight

George
My Nikonian Galleries

aces1202 Registered since 12th Mar 2008Fri 17-Aug-12 08:43 PM
#10. "RE: Pocket Wizards and Nikon Speedlights"
In response to Reply # 9

Wilmington, US

Sounds reasonable. I'm glad I called and didn't try to order online without any help.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59136 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.