nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
briafast

New York, US
73 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
briafast Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2010
Wed 15-Aug-12 02:43 PM

I am shooting with D700, Sigma, 18-200, and SB-700 for some shots of musicians performing in a park. I usually start shooting about the time the sun has set in order to get the desired effect. I want to achieve a ghost of the musicians with their instruments. For the most part I am able to get the shots I want but when I loose the sky light and darkness comes I can't seem to get this effect in spite of the 2-3 second exposures I use. The flash is set for front sync and I would think that after that during the exposure motion would be recorded but it does not happen even when I move the camera around during exposure to get far off street lights to create patterns. I change my position to include some of the background streetlights in the park and this helps get the effect I am after. If a street light is not in the frame I am faced with flat flash photos which is not my objective at all. All my logic seems to not apply to long exposures in this scenario. I really doubt it is something on the camera but I just thought I would throw this out there for some feedback. If just seems like every time I shoot with a long exposure with moving subjects I should get some kind of movement in the frame. I am also using a color gel on the flash to add some spice to these shots.

Brian Fass
Cinematographer
www.brianfass.com
Photographer
www.brianfassphotography.com
brianfass@me.com
NYC

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: right conditions