Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59113
View in linear mode

Subject: "Quickie portrait with my SB800......" Previous topic | Next topic
Joey_Wilson Registered since 09th Apr 2012Mon 13-Aug-12 05:00 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Quickie portrait with my SB800......"
Mon 13-Aug-12 05:21 PM by Joey_Wilson

US

This was a quick, impromptu portrait and I only had an old kit lens (18-70MM) and my SB800 in my bag. They were happy - but any tips or tricks to help me get better would be appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Mon 13-Aug-12 09:15 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Quickie portrait with my SB800......"
In response to Reply # 0

Roswell, US

Good shots. Two things I might suggest if you want to try them on a later shoot:

Add a slight warming gel. I like using a 1/4 CTO during Sunset if I'm shooting into the setting sun like this.
Get the flash off-camera, if you can. If your camera has a popup that can act as a commander, get it into "--" mode and just hold the SB800 in your left hand above your head and as far to the left as you can get it (or have someone else hold it). It'll greatly improve the quality of your light. I also use the following setup to achieve this very often:

$10-$15 Standard Extension Paint Pole from Home Depot
$20 Kacey Pole Adaptor (from http://www.mpex.com)
$20 Flash/Umbrella Bracket (from http://www.mpex.com or http://www.bhphotovideo.com)
$15 Frio Cold Shoe from Amazon or BH Photo Video

This gives you a great way that you can hold the flash and the camera and still get the flash signfiicatnly off camera. YOu can also ask someone else to hold the pole for you as a voice-activated light stand.

Cheers,
Ben

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jcwfpmd Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Aug 2012Wed 15-Aug-12 04:28 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Quickie portrait with my SB800......"
In response to Reply # 0

Setauket, US

I agree with the need to get the flash off the camera. I would also suggest varying the output of the flash to blend the subjects in the brighter photo so the do not have that stuck on look/washed look. An inexpensive bounce card may also help.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59113 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.