Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59111
View in linear mode

Subject: "Advice on flash unit to use with speedlights" Previous topic | Next topic
aces1202 Registered since 12th Mar 2008Mon 13-Aug-12 04:13 PM
314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Advice on flash unit to use with speedlights"

Wilmington, US

Question #1: I currently have a SB800 and a SB600, and want to get one nice flash to use as my main light, and then use the speedlights for accent lighting if needed. I'm looking at the Elinchrom 500BXRi, which seems to be a nice flash, but very costly. Does anyone have any recommendations that are not so expensive (or other advice)? I would like to use it mainly for indoor portraits.

Question #2: If I use the main flash (such as the 500BXRi with a pocket wizard, can I still use the speedlights with the TTL ability. My camera is a D90, so it has commander capability. Just wondering since I would put the PW on the camera shoe, would that render my wireless TTL useless?

Thank you.

------------------------------------
"”The quickest way to double your money is to fold it over and put it back in your pocket.” - Will Rogers

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Advice on flash unit to use with speedlights
MEMcD Moderator
13th Aug 2012
RABaker
13th Aug 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
13th Aug 2012
aces1202
13th Aug 2012
MEMcD Moderator
15th Aug 2012
aces1202
15th Aug 2012
MEMcD Moderator
16th Aug 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 13-Aug-12 04:39 PM
25680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Advice on flash unit to use with speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Hank,

>Question #1: I currently have a SB800 and a SB600, and want
>to get one nice flash to use as my main light, and then use
>the speedlights for accent lighting if needed. I'm looking at
>the Elinchrom 500BXRi, which seems to be a nice flash, but
>very costly. Does anyone have any recommendations that are
>not so expensive (or other advice)? I would like to use it
>mainly for indoor portraits.

Have you considered one of Paul Buff's (Alien Bee's, White Lightning, or Einstein) strobes?

>Question #2: If I use the main flash (such as the 500BXRi
>with a pocket wizard, can I still use the speedlights with the
>TTL ability. My camera is a D90, so it has commander
>capability. Just wondering since I would put the PW on the
>camera shoe, would that render my wireless TTL useless?

Since the Monolights will be your main light, forget about using TTL flash control since there will be no way for the cameras metering system to include the light from the strobe in the exposure calculations. When using strobes or mixing strobes and Speedlights always use Manual flash control and Manual exposure control.

Your SB-800 has SU-4 (optical slave mode) built in, your SB-600 does not so you will need a Nikon SU-4 optical slave to trigger it in sync with the strobe regardless of brand.
The other alternative is to get an RF trigger like Pocket Wizard for each Strobe and Speedlight and a transmitter for the camera as well. The Paul Buff CyberSync system works well and is significantly less expensive than even the Pocket Wizard Plus III's.
Unless the RF trigger has a hotshoe, you will need a PC to hotshoe adaptor to trigger your SB-600 since it doesn't have a PC port.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Mon 13-Aug-12 06:25 PM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Advice on flash unit to use with speedlights"
In response to Reply # 1

Sunnyvale, US

"Your SB-800 has SU-4 (optical slave mode) built in, your SB-600 does not..."

I just checked the SB-600 manual to be sure and wanted to correct a point so that it wouldn't confuse folks. The SB-600 does include the necessary flash sensor so that it can be used as a remote flash in a wireless setup (including CLS compatibility). However, it cannot be used as a master flash.

Good luck,
Richard

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 13-Aug-12 06:45 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Advice on flash unit to use with speedlights"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 13-Aug-12 06:57 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

The sensor for the SB-600 is just for CLS and does not include the SU-4 mode, but one can purchase an SU-4 Wireless TTL Flash Controller and mount the SB-600 on the SU-4. See SB-600 Accessories. There is not option for setting the SB-600 to the SU-4 on pages 60-61 of the SB-600 manual. The SB-700/800/900/910 manuals all show an SU-4 option when in the Remote mode.

You might find an optical slave with a hot shoe trigger that might work with the SB-600. You can use this to remotely trigger the SB-600 in the Mnaual flash mode.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

aces1202 Registered since 12th Mar 2008Mon 13-Aug-12 08:21 PM
314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Advice on flash unit to use with speedlights"
In response to Reply # 1

Wilmington, US

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to read about these strobes. Most of these are still somewhat costly except the Alien Bees. Do you thing the AB400 would give me enough power to shoot thru an umbrella or softbox? Or is the AB800 the minimum power strobe to get for all around use?

I wonder if these systems by Paul Buff would work with the Yonguo transmitters and receivers (in manual mode). That would make it easy and affordable.

"”The quickest way to double your money is to fold it over and put it back in your pocket.” - Will Rogers

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 15-Aug-12 03:23 AM
25680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Advice on flash unit to use with speedlights"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Hank,

You can get an Alien Bee AB800 and AB400 or an Einstein E640 and still be less than the cost of one Elinchrom 500Ri BXRi.
An AB-400 has enough power for a shoot thru or reflective umbrellas.
If you plan on shooting groups of more than two or three, an AB800 would be a better choice for a single light.

I see no reason why the Yonguo RF triggers would not work with any Paul Buff Flash unit as long as you have the appropriate sync cord.

Best Regards,
Marty

aces1202 Registered since 12th Mar 2008Wed 15-Aug-12 03:59 PM
#6. "RE: Advice on flash unit to use with speedlights"
In response to Reply # 5

Wilmington, US

Thanks Marty for the followup.
I guess it's better to go with a reputable company like Alien Bees instead of finding some cheapo flash unit out there that could give me problems.
Good to know in simple terms how much power the 400 provides. I do a few groups so the 800 would be the best choice for me.

thanks!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 16-Aug-12 10:38 PM
#7. "RE: Advice on flash unit to use with speedlights"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Hank,

Paul C. Buff, Inc. Customer Service is Outstanding and they stand behind the equipment that they sell.
The AB400 has a maximum output of 160Ws, the AB800 has a maximum output of 320Ws.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59111 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.