Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59012
View in linear mode

Subject: "Pocket Wizards..." Previous topic | Next topic
FizzBang Registered since 08th Jul 2012Sun 29-Jul-12 07:55 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Pocket Wizards..."

UK

Hello to all Nikonians...

I have been looking into getting Pocket Wizards for off camera flash work.
The new pro III's get such a good review but I have two issues...

1/ I can see no means of fixing one to a tripod/hotshoe so do they end up dangling on the sync cable connected to the flash... Surely that can't be right?
2/ They do not support FP sync?

For the 'so-called' best on the market they dont offer these basic functions which the much cheaper ones do...?

Have I got this right?

Can anyone suggest a model that does a good job including the two points above?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Pocket Wizards...
gkaiseril Gold Member
29th Jul 2012
FizzBang
30th Jul 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
30th Jul 2012
wkilburg
31st Jul 2012
FizzBang
05th Aug 2012
wkilburg
06th Aug 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
26th Aug 2012
Reply message Pocket Wizards Triggering Manual Flash
Mreid64
25th Aug 2012
     Reply message RE: Pocket Wizards Triggering Manual Flash
gkaiseril Gold Member
25th Aug 2012
scopeland Silver Member
25th Aug 2012
Mreid64
25th Aug 2012
shaynec Silver Member
12th Aug 2012
DinoCardelli
26th Aug 2012

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 29-Jul-12 10:46 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Pocket Wizards..."
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

1/ you can purchase a tripod hot/cold shoe mount of you can use some bungee cord loop with lock balls to lash the PW III to a tripod or light support.
2/ FP sync is part of the CLS system and would require the MiniTTL1 or the FlexTT5 device.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

FizzBang Registered since 08th Jul 2012Mon 30-Jul-12 06:26 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Pocket Wizards..."
In response to Reply # 1

UK

Thank you George...

I will look into that.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 30-Jul-12 10:52 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Pocket Wizards..."
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

You could also hang the PW III by the lanyard, but that is not my first choice.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

wkilburg Registered since 03rd Apr 2011Tue 31-Jul-12 06:13 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Pocket Wizards..."
In response to Reply # 3

Yorkville, US

Flash zebra sells a cradle that is bungee corded to the stand and hold the pw3. I have used the provided lanyard with no problem and also rigged a mount using the 1/4-20 screw mount on the back side of the pw3. Lots of options. Truly how it hangs or mounts was never even one of those things that crossed my mind. There are so many ways of solving that issue.

-----------------
Wally

FizzBang Registered since 08th Jul 2012Sun 05-Aug-12 06:06 PM
#5. "RE: Pocket Wizards..."
In response to Reply # 4

UK

Thank you for all your input...

Yes, the mounting is not the most important issue with the Pocket Wizard Pro III...
As you say wkilburg, there are many solutions.

FP sync is more of a dissapointment...
The Pro III's are such a well designed, compact unit which would suit me well but FP sync is something I do use frequently...
I apprecaite other units from Pocket Wizard cover this feature but it becomes an added expense and item of kit when I wanted something small and simple.

The Phottix Oddyn system, which has the mount method and FP sync, looks pretty awesome...? Still waiting for the Nikon version to appear in UK yet though.
Have any of you tried this product in US?

wkilburg Registered since 03rd Apr 2011Mon 06-Aug-12 01:41 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Pocket Wizards..."
In response to Reply # 5

Yorkville, US

I have not personally tried the Odin set up from Phottix. I do like the company though and I gave it serious consideration. To me, the price of an Odin system that mirrors my PW Flex system (3 TT5's and a TT1) was not that much cheaper, especially when you factor in the recent rebate they offered. The ability to use the PW III's and use it with some packs with built in PW support sealed it. The Flex system works pretty well for me. I have used the Nikon FP Sync with it up to 1/2000 but have not tried PW's Hypersync yet. I recent picked up a Fuji X100 and with its leaf shutter I can sync manually at any speed with the right aperture. I will use it for most real high speed stuff. It's just easier.

I would not hesitate to go with the Odin if you can't use or will never need PW compatibility. Odin has been around for Canon for a while and it got super reviews, so far what I have read for the Nikon version has been good too. About the only drawback I could possibly see was the size of the on camera commander type unit but then the PW III isn't exactly tiny either. Good luck! Let us know how it works if you get it.

-----------------
Wally

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 26-Aug-12 06:18 PM
#13. "RE: Pocket Wizards..."
In response to Reply # 5

Chicago, US

PW is a company that makes manual flash and camera triggers and units for Nikon's iTTL and Canon's eTTL systems. The MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 fit in the camera's hot shoe.

There are also links to the instructions and videos.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Mreid64 Registered since 29th Mar 2012Sat 25-Aug-12 02:24 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "Pocket Wizards Triggering Manual Flash"
In response to Reply # 1

Lake Jackson, US

I have a D800 and want to set up six manual strobes (Lumopro 160)to trigger wirelessly when I press the trigger on the camera (Hummingbird) photography. I think I put the transmitter in the shoe on the camera but I'm still not clear on is if I have to purchase a receiver for each of the six strobes.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 25-Aug-12 06:19 PM
#9. "RE: Pocket Wizards Triggering Manual Flash"
In response to Reply # 8
Sat 25-Aug-12 08:26 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

The Plus III uses transmits a coded RF signal, so unless your flash would need to have a builtin receiver module that can receive the the signal and decode it.

The Lumopro 160 does not appear to have such a module, so you will need a receiver for each unit.

Are you sure you can not use the buiitin flash on the D800 to trigger the LumoPro units?

Edited to add:
It is possible in an outdoor setting that the photoelectric sensors on the remote units could be blinded by sunlight so your built-in or camera mounted flash's trigger flash would not be detected.

You might also consider some cheap RF triggers systems. The PW system is expensive and offers more options than you need.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

scopeland Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2009Sat 25-Aug-12 08:09 PM
279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Pocket Wizards Triggering Manual Flash"
In response to Reply # 8

Rochester, US

>I have a D800 and want to set up six manual strobes (Lumopro
>160)to trigger wirelessly when I press the trigger on the
>camera (Hummingbird) photography. I think I put the
>transmitter in the shoe on the camera but I'm still not clear
>on is if I have to purchase a receiver for each of the six
>strobes.

The LP160's have an optical slave trigger built in, so as long as you are able to fire one of the flashes, the others will react to the light and fire as well. I've got two LP160's that I use along side an SB900 (and sometimes SB600). I have PW TT5's on the camera and the SB900. The power of the LP160's have to be set manually, but I've had great luck having them fire when needed.

The two ways that I use them are as background or kicker lights in a small studio setup (where I have a pretty good feel for the power I need, and therefore don't have to fiddle with them too much) and then in a tri-flash bracket where again I will set them at a consistent power and then adjust the SB900 remotely to bring the overall light level up/down as needed.

Visit my Main site or my Sports site

Mreid64 Registered since 29th Mar 2012Sat 25-Aug-12 09:34 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Pocket Wizards Triggering Manual Flash"
In response to Reply # 10

Lake Jackson, US

Thank you for your help.

shaynec Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jun 2009Sun 12-Aug-12 05:31 PM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Pocket Wizards..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

AS a neophyte I am hesitant to jump in here,but, I have the pw system on my d700 and pw recommends using the 1/250 auto FP setting. I use the ac3 controller and love it. I don't have to know anything about cls I just adjust the speedlights until they look right with the controller at your finger tips. Shayne

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010Sun 26-Aug-12 02:27 AM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Pocket Wizards..."
In response to Reply # 7
Sun 26-Aug-12 02:42 AM by DinoCardelli

Plantation, US

I recently made the move to PW...hook line and sinker..

I got this thing for demo videos I guess

I bought the TT1, and 4 TT5's...along with the AC3 controller...combined together, it' works like "budder"..

I own two 910's, one 900 and one 600 along with two SD-9 battery packs...

You literally have fulll control of everything...no worry about light flashes from the CLS system..it jus works as demo'd...

now is it expensive......as Jack Nicholson said in a "Few Good Men"..

Da&^m Right it is....

But, for me, and what i want to do...e.g. plug it in and it works...the system does a great job..

Go to PW website and watch a few videos...it's just like they said...

Now, I'm going to Alien Bees' and with the AC9 controller and my TT5's, I can use the AB's under full control...

Another benefit....this will allow me to combine a strobe system with a full studio light operation....

Personally, I think you get what you pay for....

BTW, as a final note, called PW about some items on how to set this up( AB's) and their customer service was great..the tech spent 20 minutes going over all the details...

Yeah, he was from the US and spoka-da-good english

Here's a shot with PW and Nikon Strobes..

Storbist:

SB 900 on Hair light on boom top left of model
SB 910 in a 30x30 lastolite soft box
SB 901 in a Firefly octabox as a catch light
used the AC3 controll with the TT1 and TT5's on the strobes..

Was able to adjust power on the fly...

Shot in Guatemala City...Kimberly and Odette

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59012 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.