nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Rugby Team Photos at Night - too much for SB 910s?

galway59

Perth, AU
49 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
galway59 Registered since 31st Aug 2008
Mon 23-Jul-12 11:29 AM

I will be shooting team portraits for my son's rugby club this week. I have done this before using rented Einchrom 500 BRXi kit with no issues (most challenges were organisational getting players there, with kit, posed and out without damaging the gear). These monos were really dialled down from memory (seemed to have way more power than I needed).

I now have two SB 910s and thought these might do to shoot 3 rows of 9 or so people but on a test with my son and daughter (outside 3m in front of a plain wall and 2m from the flashes) or inside a large room with plain walls and low white ceiling) I found I had way too little flash power. Only went to 500 ISO on my D300 (I am conservative here) and only using my 18-70mm kit lens - but at f3.8/f4.5 and supposedly full power I got underexposed shots with umbrellas and then naked speedlights. In post I could salvage raw shots (exposure plus 1.6 in Aperture and some shadow boost), but I was disappointed that my SB 910s didn't give me more.

I use Eneloop batteries and thought these might be a limiting factor (but surely not ... just take longer to build a full charge?)

I have booked the trusty Einchrom kit again so no risk to the shoot, but wondered, am I unrealistic in my expectations of the speedlights or am I missing something? It looked like I would need at least another two SB910s and even more if I wanted to avoid hard light issues. Yet the Einchroms handled this without even getting up to half power?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Rugby Team Photos at Night - too much for SB 910s?

G