Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #58432
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-700 as Master and SB-26 as Slave on D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
BokehBo Registered since 29th Mar 2012Sat 19-May-12 08:19 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-700 as Master and SB-26 as Slave on D7000?"

Decatur, US

I am brand new to flash. I have a SB-700 and would like to set it up as an on-camera master and use a SB-26 as a slave. Is it possible? Or do both flashes have to be SB-700s?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-700 as Master and SB-26 as Slave on D7000?
blw Moderator
19th May 2012
NenBikonian
22nd May 2012
cooper101
15th Jan 2013
blw Moderator
15th Jan 2013
NenBikonian
16th Jan 2013
MattF Silver Member
18th Jan 2013
MEMcD Moderator
18th Jan 2013

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 19-May-12 11:08 PM
26714 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: SB-700 as Master and SB-26 as Slave on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

The SB-26 is a non-digital flash, so the only way to use it as a slave is as an optical slave. The SB-26 includes an SU-4 optical trigger built-in, so if you use that in M or A mode, and the SB-700 is in a mode that does not use a metering pre-flash, you can use the SB-700 to trigger the SB-26. That makes it sound better than it is, though. Any TTL or TTL flash mode, and for some reason AutoAperture as well, uses a metering pre-flash, which will trigger the SU-4. It will look like it works as intended but what's happening is that the pre-flash causes the SU-4 to fire and then a few milliseconds later the main flash fires for real - and the SU-4 slave is still recycling. So you pretty much have to use A or M mode on the SB-700. Basically this means no TTL flash on either unit. If you can live with that, it works as well as any optical slave does.

> Or do both flashes have to be SB-700s?

Definitely not. To have full compatibility, all of the flashes have to be iTTL compatible. The SB-700 is one of those, but so are the SB-600, SB-800, SB-900 and SB-910, along with the SB-200 macro lights. All of those units (in addition to the SB-700, of course) can function as iTTL remotes. The SB-700, 800, 900, 910 and SU-800 can all act as iTTL masters, and obviously a single unit can't act as both master and remote at the same time.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Tue 22-May-12 02:47 AM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-700 as Master and SB-26 as Slave on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Roswell, US

Bobette,

To add to Brian's response, since what you want to accomplish will require that your SB700 is operated essentially as a manual flash like the SB26, you might as well put them BOTH in SU-4 mode (since they're both capable of it), put them both off-camera and fire them both using the built-in pop-up flash set to manual mode.

I mean, if you have to use them both in manual mode, might as well take advantage of the fact that they can both, now, be operated as remotes.

I used to do this with my D70, SB800 and SB26.

Cheers,
Ben

cooper101 Registered since 10th Jan 2013Tue 15-Jan-13 12:37 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-700 as Master and SB-26 as Slave on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I'm using a D70s and I just got an SB700 . Seems like the only way to use my old SB26 is to use both in manual mode with the popup also in manual . I ordered the SG3-IR but it hasen't arrived yet . Any tips ? Thanks

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 15-Jan-13 10:46 AM
26714 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: SB-700 as Master and SB-26 as Slave on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

You can also use the SB-26 in "auto" mode - meaning a non-TTL auto exposure mode, triggered via SU-4. The SU-4 requires that the D70s and SB-700 be in some mode that does not use iTTL, which manual is certainly one. I don't remember if the SB-700 has an Auto mode or not, but that is also a non-iTTL mode. The problem is the metering preflash used for iTTL, as I wrote in post #2 above last year.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Wed 16-Jan-13 05:58 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB-700 as Master and SB-26 as Slave on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

Roswell, US

Sounds like you know what you're doing. As Brian said, you could use the SB26 in A mode. That's certainly an option. I used to use a setup nearly identical to yours: D70, SB800, SB26 and SG-3IR. I'd place the SB800 and SB26 in Manual, SU-4 Mode and place my D70's popup flash in manual mode. If I wanted the popup to contribute to the exposure, I'd leave the SG-3IR off and set a manual output appropriate for the exposure I wanted. If I wanted the popup not to contribute, i'd set it's manual output to the lowest possible setting and deploy the SG-3IR.

Then, it's just a matter of finding the correct manual output setting for each of the remotes, which for the SB800 and SB26 can be estimated using the expected flash to subject distance and the GN calculator built into each of those flashes. Here's a good blog post from Strobist on how: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/12/guide-number-your-free-flash-meter.html

Good Luck,
Ben

MattF Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2012Fri 18-Jan-13 07:12 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB-700 as Master and SB-26 as Slave on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 5

San Diego, US

Can't you set the pop up in Commander mode to the lowest output, or does this still add camera light to the subject?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 18-Jan-13 09:55 PM
26085 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: SB-700 as Master and SB-26 as Slave on D7000?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Matt,

When the built in Speedlight is in Commander mode it will fire a pre-flash sequence before the shutter opens that will fire the remote Speedlights in SU-4 mode therefore the remote Speedlights will be recycling when the shutter opens and the triggering flash fires. In other words unless the remote Speedlights in SU-4 mode are set to very low power they will not contribute to the exposure since they will be recycling when the shutter is open.

The work around is to set the built-in Speedlight to Manual flash mode with the power very low and or use an SG-3IR to convert the white light to Infrared that trigger the remote Speedlights in SU-4 mode in sync with the shutter opening while the IR light from the built in Speedlight will not contribute to the exposure.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #58432 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.