Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #56119
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon SB-910 Speedlight" Previous topic | Next topic
jackhx Gold Member Charter MemberWed 30-Nov-11 05:11 AM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"

Richardson, US

Haven't seen this posted yet: new flagship speed light announced by Nikon - the SB-910:
http://www.nikon.com/news/2011/1130_speedlight_01.htm

Availability mid-December; US$550.

Jack

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight
jackhx Gold Member
30th Nov 2011
MEMcD Moderator
30th Nov 2011
avm247 Moderator
30th Nov 2011
nrothschild Silver Member
30th Nov 2011
ScottChapin Moderator
30th Nov 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
30th Nov 2011
M_Jackson Silver Member
30th Nov 2011
ScottChapin Moderator
30th Nov 2011
blw Moderator
30th Nov 2011
mklass Platinum Member
30th Nov 2011
blw Moderator
30th Nov 2011
M_Jackson Silver Member
30th Nov 2011
blw Moderator
01st Dec 2011
trailmaster
05th Dec 2011
hujiie Silver Member
01st Dec 2011
JonK Moderator
01st Dec 2011
keith5523
01st Dec 2011
mklass Platinum Member
01st Dec 2011
ScottChapin Moderator
01st Dec 2011
wkilburg
01st Dec 2011
ScottChapin Moderator
03rd Dec 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
01st Dec 2011
JonK Moderator
02nd Dec 2011
ScottChapin Moderator
02nd Dec 2011
keith5523
02nd Dec 2011
ScottChapin Moderator
02nd Dec 2011
Artaxerxes Gold Member
02nd Dec 2011
guyparker
02nd Dec 2011
ScottChapin Moderator
02nd Dec 2011
adcam Gold Member
02nd Dec 2011
mklass Platinum Member
02nd Dec 2011
adcam Gold Member
02nd Dec 2011
ScottChapin Moderator
02nd Dec 2011
doug_stroud
05th Dec 2011
ScottChapin Moderator
05th Dec 2011
Arkayem Moderator
27th Dec 2011
PSAGuy Silver Member
05th Dec 2011
blw Moderator
06th Dec 2011
nikonus Gold Member
06th Dec 2011
ScottChapin Moderator
06th Dec 2011
BCCornwell
16th Dec 2011
piniongear
18th Dec 2011
keith5523
18th Dec 2011
RockyIII Gold Member
18th Dec 2011
piniongear
18th Dec 2011
piniongear
18th Dec 2011
jvette Gold Member
20th Dec 2011
piniongear
20th Dec 2011
piniongear
20th Dec 2011
jvette Gold Member
20th Dec 2011
piniongear
20th Dec 2011
M_Jackson Silver Member
22nd Dec 2011
piniongear
22nd Dec 2011
Ed911 Silver Member
23rd Dec 2011
jvette Gold Member
24th Dec 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
24th Dec 2011
guyparker
10th Jan 2012
piniongear
10th Jan 2012

jackhx Gold Member Charter MemberWed 30-Nov-11 05:13 AM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Richardson, US

Here's the link to Nikon USA announcement:
http://cdn.press.nikonusa.com/static/post-2011-11-29-the-new-nikon-sb-910-speedlight-harnesses-powerful-flexibility-and-control-for-the-revolutionary-creative-lighting-system.html

Jack

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 30-Nov-11 05:53 AM
26416 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jack,

$549.95! Ouch!
Thermal slow down, instead of thermal shut down.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberWed 30-Nov-11 06:20 AM
18536 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 2

Rancho Cordova, US

Thanks! Gotta let Santa know.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 30-Nov-11 08:26 AM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

US

So it appears they fixed a very poor thermal cutoff design and raised the price another $50 beyond what was already way too much for a flash.

I'm glad I long ago bought a lifetime supply (3) of SB-800's.

Sorry... I'm just a cynic

my Nikonians gallery.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberWed 30-Nov-11 11:55 AM
8195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 4

Powder Springs, US

I don't know that they fixed it. It sounds like the method that Canon speedlight owners #### about...LOL. First it starts to slow down recycling, then it quits. I'd just as soon swap flashes periodically.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Wed 30-Nov-11 01:58 PM
790 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 5

Port Charlotte, US

Since we're getting close to Christmas, this reminds me of the Gift of the Magi.... where you have to sell the camera body in order to buy the SB 910. (lol)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 30-Nov-11 03:22 PM
683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 30-Nov-11 03:25 PM by M_Jackson

Jackson, US

Here's a question to ponder for this group.

Last Sunday night, I placed an order for a SB900 strobe from B&H for $494.95 (no shipping cost through NAPP). Ironically, it will be here today—the day of the announcement for the SB910.

With B&H, I have the option to send it back for full credit or keep it. I'd have to pay shipping and insurance back to them. That would cost me $12-$15. The new strobe is $55 more than the old one.

Do you see enough good features to justify another $70 on already expensive strobe? Would you keep the brand new SB900 or pay extra to get the new one?

The news release says the new version should be available in December. I don't NEED this strobe this week, so I could wait for one without any problem.

USP won't bring the box until late in the day, so I have at least that long to make a decision.

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberWed 30-Nov-11 06:36 PM
8195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed 30-Nov-11 06:38 PM by ScottChapin

Powder Springs, US

That's a personal decision. I would keep the SB-900, but then I use PW-CTL and would want to wait until the flash was confirmed as compatible with that system. Also, thermal cutoff has not been an issue for me, and I would very truly rather swap flash units out as opposed to watching them bog down.

Canon users say their recycle times lenghten and bog down fairly rapidly, so I am not sure of its benefit. I wouldn't want to beta test on this one. The SB-910 "probably" bogs down fairly quickly, as most that have the cutoff issue with the SB-900 say that happens in just a few minutes too, so slowing the recycle time should happen sooner?

I have 3 SB-900s now and it's nice to have units with all of the same controls. The controls have been "improved" on the SB-910, but I am not sure what that means in reality. The controls on the SB-900 are very simple compared to the SB-800 and I don't have a real need for something better in that department.

Summary:

I would maybe want the SB-910, if it were my first unit purchased, but at that, I am leery of the new system for thermal overload control. I expect a lot of flack from that solution. Time will tell.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 30-Nov-11 06:55 PM
26783 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 7

Richmond, US

I'd just take the 900. Personally I find the whole thermal shutdown thing way overblown. Maybe it's just the way I use flash, but I just don't have thermal problems on my 900. For example, Sunday morning I shot 260 frames, all with flash, and my thermal indicator (remember that? It actually is right on the display) never even moved. I used a lot of bounce flash, at base ISO or even lower. Yes I turned down the ISO to Lo.1 some of the time. I used both the primary flash as well as the IR commander.

I had thermal trouble long ago right after I got the unit, but I switched to low-discharge NiMH batteries and I have never had any issue since then.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 30-Nov-11 07:15 PM
6057 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 9

Tacoma, US

>I had thermal trouble long ago right after I got the unit, but
>I switched to low-discharge NiMH batteries and I have never
>had any issue since then.

Meaning Eneloops, Brian?

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 30-Nov-11 09:16 PM
26783 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 10

Richmond, US

Mine are Maha's Immedions, but the same idea. I think the ones in the 900 are the 2400 mAh ones, but maybe the 2000's are in there.

_____

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 30-Nov-11 09:35 PM
683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 11

Jackson, US

When I came back from the Post Office and bank the B&H box was on my doorsteps. I had pretty much decided to keep this one, but was waiting to see what other people suggested. I had planned on updating my equipment to own four SB900 units by mid-summer. This one is number two. By the time I might be ready for another one, it will likely be Spring and the field reviews should be in on the new SB0910 strobes. I can save the $70 for now and start using it today. At least I had the option of returning this one unopened to B&H.

I am guessing the new strobes will have the new Unilaterial Pricing, so there probably won't be any deals. $550 or nothing.

Oh yes, I have Eneloop low discharge batteries already and a couple of 8 bay Maha chargers. I watched a recent video on Kelby Training with Dave Black who recommends them in his SB900 units. Interestingly, there is a video by Joe McNally in which he was delayed on a shoot and needing to turn off the heat limiter on a SB900 unit to continue. Joe recommends a different brand of battery, but I didn't pay attention to the name.

Other than drowning the one SB800 and having Better Beamer scorch marks on the front on two others, the SB800 units have always worked fine.

Thanks for the responses!

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 01-Dec-11 12:41 PM
#19. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 12

Richmond, US

I dunno about your flash usage, but I have 4 units and I find that their usage is not even. I have a 900 and three 600s. The 900 is used the most when size doesn't matter - around the house or when I'm driving to a shoot. SB-600 'a' is the most used if I have to travel (eg fly). When I use multiples I habitually (and now that I'm writing this I don't know why) use them in the order A, B, C. They're marked (and so are their battery sets). C gets less than a third as much work as A, judging by the amount of time required to recharge the battery sets. In your case, you could still have two 910s, and two 900s would be your last two out of the bag. It's hard to believe you're going to trip the thermals on your last two remotes very often, although obviously it could be done.

_____

trailmaster Basic MemberMon 05-Dec-11 02:43 PM
718 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 7

Newport, US

REFUSE THE PACKAGE IT WOULD BE RETURNED WITHOUT SHIPPING CHARGES APPLIED TO YOU, ORDER THE NEW ONE.

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Thu 01-Dec-11 12:17 AM
556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I am careless about thermal shut down and this can be managed.

Since I am lazy to check the specs of both, does anyone tell me the difference in flash power?

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 01-Dec-11 12:45 AM
4859 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I don't see this model as much of an improvement. The overheating issue is no better — with a pose of actors, I can't just shoot slower; the hard plastic filters don't do much for me; and the button/menu change may be nice but not so special (especially for me, since I now shoot with Pocket Wizards).

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

keith5523 Registered since 30th Aug 2007Thu 01-Dec-11 01:28 AM
261 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 03-Dec-11 03:28 AM by jrp

US

Here is a link to an early review by Joe McNally...

http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/2011/11/30/a-new-flash/

Keith
North Carolina
www.greatbigshots.com

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 01-Dec-11 03:04 AM
6057 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 15

Tacoma, US

Doesn't really say much from a technical or testing standpoint. "Pushed the flash hard" means ... what???

He did get a plug in for his book, though.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 01-Dec-11 12:19 PM
#18. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 16

Powder Springs, US

Yeah, I think it's funny that the "reviews" are nothing more than a Nikon released spec sheet at best. Joe had one in his hands and that's the best he can come up with? Maybe he didn't want to say what he really wanted to say.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

wkilburg Registered since 03rd Apr 2011Thu 01-Dec-11 03:15 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 16
Sat 03-Dec-11 03:35 AM by jrp

Yorkville, US

>Doesn't really say much from a technical or testing
>standpoint. "Pushed the flash hard" means ...
>what???
>
>He did get a plug in for his book, though.
>
>Mickwww.mickklassphoto.com
>or
>Visit my nikonians gallery

Well he did say that he had a very limited lead time before getting the flash units. Remember this is his blog so I'd expect him to plug his book and if you read his blog semi-regularly you would have an idea of what "pushed hard" is. He has talked about how hard he pushes flash units in past posts and even in this post he talked about burning up a few SB-900's.

-----------------
Wally

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSat 03-Dec-11 10:14 AM
#32. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 20

Powder Springs, US

Do you mean he had less than 20 minutes to an hour to test the thermal overload? That's really what most people will want details on, nothing else major has changed. I think he didn't say what he really wanted to say, or needs more time to think about how to say it.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Thu 01-Dec-11 07:23 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

The change from SB900 to SB910 implies a minor upgrade - which for many is what it is.
It is usual for Nikon to ask a premium on a new launch product and then to lower the price after supply catches up with initial demand.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 02-Dec-11 01:59 AM
4859 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Joe is a great guy and a great photographer. But in his videos and workshops, he does not drive hard. Full output, maybe. Rapid, repeated firing? Nope.

So the jury is still out, and I'll wait until someone uses a 910 at a PR event or party or a studio setting where the shooting is closer to rapid fire.

And for people who have to shoot that way, an enforced slowdown just won't work.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 02-Dec-11 02:11 AM
#22. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 21

Powder Springs, US

Here comes the bride. There goes the bride. Still waiting for my flash to recycle.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

keith5523 Registered since 30th Aug 2007Fri 02-Dec-11 02:35 AM
261 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 22

US

Does adding the SD-9 or SD-8A battery pack do anything to keep the heat from the batteries to a minimum?

Does it "spread the risk" so to speak?

And just how much quicker does the flash recycle using the SD-9?

Keith
North Carolina
www.greatbigshots.com

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 02-Dec-11 09:46 AM
#24. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 23

Powder Springs, US

It should keep the flash from heating up as quickly. Some say not well enough, but I think it helps. I don't shoot more than 1 shot per minute though.

I don't know that it cycles fastener to the point of being noticeable from a practical standpoint. It does cycle faster for a longer period of time. IOW, the recycle time does not diminish as rapidly as time goes by. That's a good thing. I very much like
my SD-9.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Artaxerxes Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Fri 02-Dec-11 01:39 PM
115 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Quincy, US

Nikon does have the tech specs on their site if you search for it. I find that it runs about $1.30 per gram for 910 and $1.19+ for 900.

So, if Nikon were a grocery store, I would buy the 900 based on cost per gram!

Nikon's site for 910:
http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Flashes/4809/SB-910-AF-Speedlight.html

The guide numbers, flash rates, etc., are the same as the 900 as far as I can tell. I do not see the motivating factor for buying it. The button improvement is not significant enough for me. Menu might be good if it links to a well-driven menu system.

hi res photos are available at the link given by Jack, near the top of this thread.

Regarding batteries, I am using eneloop. I watched a day with Joe McNally and he is using Powerex with a stable of Maha chargers.

Interesting discussion on this new item. but I just don't see the driving force for purchasing the new flash. The extra distance of the sb-900 is nice compared to the sb-800. The 910 is the same as the 900.

The sb-800 is a great flash and holds its own 105mm and down. Of course discontinuing it gave the 900 and 700 the marketing share. Nice business thinking on Nikon's part, but the consumer lost out in choices.

...and miles to go before I sleep.

guyparker Registered since 21st Dec 2005Fri 02-Dec-11 04:50 PM
953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#26. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 25

Rugby, GB

Here's my concise view - Still overpriced, Still MASSIVE and still slow recycling times!

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 02-Dec-11 05:05 PM
#27. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 26

Powder Springs, US

Not sure what you mean by still slow recycling times. My SB-900 recycles extremely fast, as fast as any shoe mounted AA powered flash.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Fri 02-Dec-11 05:13 PM
591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Portland, US

Check out bythom for his comments as well. I don't see a huge improvement for me to buy.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 02-Dec-11 05:20 PM
#29. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 28

Tacoma, US

This is clearly just a tweak. They should have called it the SB-900s. Guess we need to wait for the SB-1000 for something truly new.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Fri 02-Dec-11 09:11 PM
591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 29

Portland, US

Better yet, they have should given us a firmware update and kept it as the SB900.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 02-Dec-11 10:39 PM
#31. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 30

Powder Springs, US

No thanks, I don't want anything to do with increased recycle times.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

doug_stroud Registered since 05th Oct 2011Mon 05-Dec-11 09:20 AM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

US

For those who want faster recycle times, and reduce fatigue and risk from thermal overheating I suggest Al Jacobs' Black Box. I am a wedding photographer and my shooting partner uses the Quantum Flash. His unit has an external battery pack which gives him much faster recycle times and longer battery life.
I started looking into this last year before the beginning of the wedding season and found "The Blackbox". This thing is better than Quantum's external battery for several reasons; it is less expensive, the battery door stays open allowing cool air circulation, (which is the main reason for the thermal heat shutdown), and longer battery life. I am not sure about Quantums but The Black Box has two connectors allowing for dual flashes which I use during my weddings.
I cannot say enough good things about this unit- blows away using double A batteries.
http://www.aljacobs.com/my_products/the_black_box_story.html

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberMon 05-Dec-11 11:36 AM
#35. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 33
Mon 05-Dec-11 11:39 AM by ScottChapin

Powder Springs, US

I would think the SD-9 does the same thing potentially, except that it plugs into the high voltage port allowing faster recycling. I am more concerned about a flash tube in a small plastic confinement. Perhaps they should make the flagship speedlight out of aluminum with a glass lens.

My Q-flash units have an open, large bare bulb. That bulb has a vent hole in the end of it. I think that has as much to do with the flash running cool, if not more than the external batteries.

I'm not convinced that the open speedlight door keeps it cooler as much as there are no batteries in the bay to get it hot. I assure you that a rapidly fired bulb in a small plastic enclosure will get hot regardless of the power source, and an open battery door will not vent that heat.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberTue 27-Dec-11 10:03 AM
6009 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#56. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 33

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>For those who want faster recycle times, and reduce fatigue
>and risk from thermal overheating I suggest Al Jacobs' Black
>Box. I am a wedding photographer and my shooting partner uses
>the Quantum Flash. His unit has an external battery pack which
>gives him much faster recycle times and longer battery life.
>I started looking into this last year before the beginning of
>the wedding season and found "The Blackbox". This
>thing is better than Quantum's external battery for several
>reasons; it is less expensive, the battery door stays open
>allowing cool air circulation, (which is the main reason for
>the thermal heat shutdown), and longer battery life. I am not
>sure about Quantums but The Black Box has two connectors
>allowing for dual flashes which I use during my weddings.
>I cannot say enough good things about this unit- blows away
>using double A batteries.
>http://www.aljacobs.com/my_products/the_black_box_story.html
>

I have no complaints about the Al Jacobs Black Box, but let's make sure we are comparing apples to apples.

The Quantum units that give the lightning recycle speeds are the Turbo packs that generate HIGH VOLTAGE that is fed directly to the main capacitor in the flash. This bypasses the flashes internal voltage multiplier and switching circuits and this is what makes them recycle so fast.

The Al Jacobs Black Box is a LOW VOLTAGE unit that uses the voltage multiplier circuits inside the flash to generate the high voltage required for the main capacitor. This means that it cannot possibly be as fast as the Quantum Turbo.

The Al Jacobs Black Box works essentially the same as the Nikon SD-9A, except it uses SLA batteries which makes it much heavier. Both will speed up the recycle time slightly due to the slightly higher voltage, but the main improvement is that they both will allow you to shoot all day without (much) slowing down.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Mon 05-Dec-11 11:27 AM
1041 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Lake Elmo, US

I always try to stay focused (sorry) on what I really NEED, and not features.....in this case it's light.
The SB900's have really never let me down, but I confess that I have never really hammered them for long periods of fast interval photos. Being primarily a sports company, we really work ambient most of the time. The occasional wedding (5-6/yr) or portrait we do is our flash usage.

The question I have is this....assuming you shoot say once every 15 seconds, how long would it take to overload an SB900 ?? Assume 75% full power. I am not looking for perfect numbers.....just ballpark opinions. If the answer is "never" then it seems to me the upgrade is really a price upgrade and not a benefits upgrade .....at least for me.

Thanks fellers

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 06-Dec-11 10:06 PM
#39. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 34

Richmond, US

> assuming you shoot say once every 15 seconds, how long would it take to overload an SB900 ?

See this thread for hard data.

_____

nikonus Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Feb 2007Tue 06-Dec-11 09:45 PM
436 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

Its sad the SB800 has more power than the SB900 . The 800 has confusing button inputs
while the 900 is quickly set with one hand .I enjoy the 200 mm zoom on the 900 as fill flash with a 300 2.8 for bird photography . I doubt more features will excite anyone at that price ." Me no Rike "

Hans K.

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery. nikonus@nikonians.org

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberTue 06-Dec-11 09:50 PM
#38. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 37

Powder Springs, US

The only thing that really floats my boat are the incandescent filters, but they fit the SB-900...yay!

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

BCCornwell Registered since 12th Nov 2011Fri 16-Dec-11 12:01 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The SB-910 is in the warehouse at B&H. My preorder has been sent for filling and my card charged, so with shippling perhaps I'll see it early next week. Just in time for Xmas

BC Cornwell

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Sun 18-Dec-11 02:04 AM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 40

Houston Texas, US

My SB910 shipped on Wednesday from Amazon.com and will be delivered this Thursday.

My wife and I are leaving early Thursday morning for Big Bend Natl. Park to spend Christmas, and so I will travel without my new 910 flash.

Too bad because.......
(1) I would like to have been able to take it with us and.....
(2) I can only hope it sits safely on the front porch for the 5 days before we return home! Ha-Ha-Ha!
Better to laugh than cry!
pg

keith5523 Registered since 30th Aug 2007Sun 18-Dec-11 02:21 AM
#42. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 41

US

>My SB910 shipped on Wednesday from Amazon.com and will be
>delivered this Thursday.
>
>My wife and I are leaving early Thursday morning for Big Bend
>Natl. Park to spend Christmas, and so I will travel without my
>new 910 flash.
>
>Too bad because.......
>(1) I would like to have been able to take it with us
>and.....
>(2) I can only hope it sits safely on the front porch for the
>5 days before we return home! Ha-Ha-Ha!
>Better to laugh than cry!
>pg

Okay...I'll take one for the team. Just send me your address and I'll make sure NO ONE ELSE gets it.

Keith
North Carolina
www.greatbigshots.com

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sun 18-Dec-11 02:25 AM
3058 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#43. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 41

Raleigh, US

It takes eight days? Seriously, you might want to let UPS know to hold it for delivery until after you return home.

Rocky

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Sun 18-Dec-11 02:36 AM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 43

Houston Texas, US

I wish! Amazon offered free shipping which of course they send it USPS, not UPS.
I had ordered the SB-910 back in the early part of December and was expecting delivery in January.
But Amazon seems happy to tell me that the flash had just shipped ahead of time and was on it's way.
Had I known earlier that this would happen I would certainly paid the price of UPS shipping.

Of course I am hoping that the post office moves faster than expected and the flash arrives Wednesday.
Ha-Ha-Ha again! Fat chance of that, especially since it is the Holiday season.
It took a week to get a lens hood from California to Texas via USPS. That came yesterday.
pg

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Sun 18-Dec-11 02:40 AM
#45. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 44

Houston Texas, US

Rocky....
DUH.... I am kind of slow.
Thanks for the suggestion on holding it for pickup.
I would never have thought of putting a hold on my mail until we return.
I will do that next Monday.
pg

jvette Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2009Tue 20-Dec-11 12:02 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#46. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 45

Louisville, US

So has anyone got one in their hands yet? I ordered mine from Amazon and am still waiting for it to ship. Was supposed to ship today but nothing yet.

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Tue 20-Dec-11 12:39 AM
#47. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 46

Houston Texas, US

Mine shipped from Amazon and is in transit.
Supposed to be delivered day after tomorrow, same day I leave for Big Bend National Park.
Of course we are leaving at 5 AM and the mail arrives around noon.
At the suggestion of a forum member I put a hold on the mail until we return.
Perry

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Tue 20-Dec-11 01:51 AM
#48. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 47

Houston Texas, US

Jvette.....
An update on my SB910.
I just checked the post office tracking and see the flash arrived at my post office at 6:15 this evening.
So I hope it is delivered tomorrow!
It is looking like I will be taking it along with the instruction to the Park this weekend!

That will be 3 days earlier than Amazon estimated.
So I hope you receive yours soon too.
Perry

jvette Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2009Tue 20-Dec-11 05:08 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#49. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 48

Louisville, US

Just got mine today. I'm at work so I haven't had time to do much more than open it up and look at it. Put some NIMH batteries in it. Hope to play with it when I get home tonight.

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Tue 20-Dec-11 05:14 PM
#50. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 49

Houston Texas, US

Same here. Mine was delivered this morning.
I will read the instruction manual while my wife drives us to Big Bend Natl. Park.
The 910 is one big flash though. The reason I bought mine was to go with my SB600.
Looking for a good used 600 I found Nikon had released the 910 for sale soon, so I decided to go first class since I was buying a flash anyway.
Enjoy yours!
Perry

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 22-Dec-11 01:34 AM
#51. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 50

Jackson, US

I was at the local camera store today and they had one in stock. I was able to open the box and look inside. They changed the fabric case considerably. I think I like the old SB900 cases better, but it might not really matter to most. The new one stores with the strobe head turned and locked at 90°. The rigid plastic filters were definitely different.

M. Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Thu 22-Dec-11 01:49 AM
#52. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 51

Houston Texas, US

Yes the covers on the SB910 are pretty nice compared to handling the thin gels.
I got to work with my new SB910 today for a while and it is a very nice flash.
I am not familiar with the SB900 and I suppose the 910 is about the same except for the thermal protection difference and that is not a big thing for me.
But the screen and buttons are very easy to read in dim light and I think that is a step up from the 900. Also, the button features have changed a little on the 910 and the menus are easy to get to.
As said, the flash and filters fit at 90° into the zippered case which is a nice square and sizable case. But then, this flash is big itself.

So far I have found it excellent using the diffuser screen on the head and bouncing the flash off the ceiling. It just works perfect!
Perry

Ed911 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Fri 23-Dec-11 12:13 AM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#53. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 52

US

Me, not switching. I have three SB900's and am perfectly happy with them. I find the controls to be pretty easy to use...are the 910's controls easier, or just different.

And, $549.00...oh my...

I doubt that anyone will be selling their 900's on eBay to upgrade like they did with the 800's when the 900 came out. But, that was the first thing that I read...

Just my two cents...

jvette Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2009Sat 24-Dec-11 12:35 AM
#54. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 53

Louisville, US

After having my SB-910 for a few days and playing with it I'm very happy with the purchase but if I had another flash I wouldn't have purchased it to replace the other one. I attach the flash bag to my over the shoulder Lowepro bag that holds my camera, lenses and other gear. It is kind of awkward but it works.

I have tried it at my home to take some photos of the family and bouncing it off the ceiling and setting it up on a tripod and flashing it from the side I got great results. I have pushed it pretty hard and not had any problems so for the use I will give it I don't see any thermal problems coming up.

I have to agree it is a little high price wise but I think I'll get many years of use out of it and I try to add to my equipment when I can afford it so this was on my list and this was the time to buy it. I do have to admit I was able to use American Express Rewards points to pay for half of the SB-910 so that really helped. I travel and use the card a lot so when I get points built up I use them on Amazon to buy my equipment.

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sat 24-Dec-11 01:44 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#55. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

In the UK as yet the 910 is not available with a discount - and seems to be around £430 street.
The 900 just prior to the 910 launch was around £330 - about 17.5% discount off "list".
After 3-4 months if the 910 discounts 17.5% it will be around £350 street - an increase of less than 10%.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

guyparker Registered since 21st Dec 2005Tue 10-Jan-12 09:37 PM
953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#57. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 55

Rugby, GB

I am missing something here? I don't own a SB900, but if I did I'd be peeved off that they bought out another model of speedlight so soon. How come they didn't just do a firmware update to the SB900 - I thought that was the whole idea and a selling point of the SB900? i.e that rather than having to buy a new speedlight frequently they'd just upgrade via firmware?

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Tue 10-Jan-12 10:43 PM
#58. "RE: Nikon SB-910 Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 57

Houston Texas, US

I do not have an SB900 either, but I do have SB910.
The biggest difference is perhaps the 910 slows down when it is over heater where the 900 quits until it cools down.
Another difference are the 910 hard filters that attach to the head.
But, these filters will fit the 900 too, so that is not much of a big deal.
I am under the impression that the 910 menu is easier to use than the 900, but I have no actual proof of that.

But I agree with you that firmware may have worked.
Perry

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #56119 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.