Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #558
View in linear mode

Subject: "Calling Ed and other flash gurus..." Previous topic | Next topic
Johnny Basic MemberWed 07-Nov-01 02:41 PM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Calling Ed and other flash gurus..."

Westampton, US

There is a thread over on the F100 forum in which several of us are getting an underexposure reading when using the F100 in A mode and flash. Any flash gurus want to take a stab at this?

F100 underexposing badly with SB28

Johnny

Johnny

---
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

photobri Basic MemberWed 07-Nov-01 05:23 PM
2334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Calling Ed and other flash gurus..."
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-01 AT 07:24 PM (GMT)

Are the photos underexposed, or just the meter reading?

If you put your F100 / N80 / F5, etc... in A mode with the flash on, it will give you a meter reading as if the flash were off.

The photos will turn out just fine... Trust me.
For example, if you have your camera in P mode with flash on, note the shutter and f-stop. Now, put your camera in A or S or M mode and set it to the same readings that were showing in P. The meter will show you what the readings would be had the flash been off.

Your camera is fine, and this is the way it is supposed to read.

Brian

Brian

Phoenix Nikonian

Fine Art Wedding Photojournalism

jnscbl Basic MemberWed 07-Nov-01 06:13 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Calling Ed and other flash gurus..."
In response to Reply # 1

US

I am biting my tongue soooooooooo hard
---scott

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=149771

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

photobri Basic MemberWed 07-Nov-01 10:20 PM
2334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Calling Ed and other flash gurus..."
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

Scott - Why??

Don't bite off more than you can chew!

Brian

Brian

Phoenix Nikonian

Fine Art Wedding Photojournalism

Johnny Basic MemberThu 08-Nov-01 06:18 PM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Calling Ed and other flash gurus..."
In response to Reply # 0

Westampton, US

LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-01 AT 08:24 PM (GMT)

Ed's answer can be found here

Turns out the underexposure is what you get for an ambient light reading. Nikon must have set the shutter speed of 1/60 as a balance between a fast shutter and long enough of a shutter to drink in the available light (without being so slow that camera shake can play a role). Unfortunately it can show up as an underexposure on the meter. All is ok when you fire the flash. The flash takes care of lighting your subject. The shutter speed takes care of the background exposure.

Thanks guys for your suggestions!

Johnny

Johnny

---
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #558 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.