nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario

Abedirov

Moscow, RU
22 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Abedirov Registered since 28th Jun 2011
Tue 01-Nov-11 10:52 AM

Dear All,

This is my first post at Nikonians, although I have been reading these forums for several months.
I am a beginner with D7000, 35 1.8DX and SB700. I learn by taking photos of may wife and my new born son (3 weeks old) mostly indoors and have couple of questions about the off camera flash use:

1. What flash mode to use? I have read several books and my understanding
g that I should use normal sync in a dark room e.g., at night and slow plus rear sync mode if I take pictures during daytime and want to take into account ambient light. Correct?
2. What is the optimal position for the flash unit? I use one off camera flash, so I put the SG-3IR infrared filter to block light from the built in flash and put SB700 to the left or right side of the subject. But where exactly shall I put it? Which angle to the subject? Which height? My understanding is that the flash should be positioned higher than the camera. Is this correct?
3. Use of diffuser. I normally put the supplied diffuser on the flash and point the head at 90 degrees. This is the advice of Mike Hagen and I follow it blindly (yes, I do own a copy of "The Nikon Creative Lightning System" which is an excellent book, but does not answer all the questions).

I have tons of other questions, but would like to get some answers to the above ones first.

Thanks in advance,
Aziz

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario Abedirov
02nd Nov 2011
Reply message RE: Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario rbsandor Gold Member
03rd Nov 2011
04th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
04th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario rbsandor Gold Member
05th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
05th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario Diane Vancouver
05th Nov 2011
     Reply message RE: Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
06th Nov 2011
          Reply message RE: Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario luckyphoto Gold Member
07th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario Don Boys
07th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
07th Nov 2011
07th Nov 2011
     Reply message RE: Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario Don Boys
07th Nov 2011
     Reply message RE: Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
07th Nov 2011
08th Nov 2011
               Reply message RE: Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario ChrisPlatt
08th Nov 2011
08th Nov 2011
08th Nov 2011
11th Nov 2011
11th Nov 2011
08th Nov 2011
07th Nov 2011
08th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario NenBikonian
07th Nov 2011
08th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario RMSJr Silver Member
24th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: Advice for off camera flash use - Basic Scenario Harj
04th Feb 2012

G