Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #55430
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB -900 will not zoom" Previous topic | Next topic
Patrick28 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2010Wed 28-Sep-11 08:10 PM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB -900 will not zoom"

Port Jervis, US

SB-900 has been working fine in all functions,on or off the camera.

Today the Zoom will not follow the change in zoom on the 24-120mm G lens or the 70-200mm f2.8 G lens on the D700. The M is displayed above ZOOM in the flash LCD and the flash zoom is stuck at 14mm. (The wide angle tab on the flash is recessed.)

I had changed no settings on the camera or on the flash.

I took the flash off the camera.
The M was still displayed above the ZOOM and indicated 14mm in the LCD.

Custom Settings still showed the M-ZOOM in the OFF position but the M is displayed above ZOOM though the arrow is pointing to OFF.

I changed the M-ZOOM setting to ON and pressed OK, EXIT. I still could not change the zoom either by tapping the ZOOM button or by pressing the ZOOM Button and turning the Selection Wheel.

Installed new batteries. No change.

Any ideas sort of sending it off for repair?

Thanks! . . .; patrick

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 28-Sep-11 08:52 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB -900 will not zoom"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Check to see that the bounce card or the wide angle adapter are fully inserted into their storage slot.

Check to see that the micro switched by the Diffusion Dome is not stuck in the depressed position.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Patw28 Registered since 10th Sep 2011Fri 30-Sep-11 01:31 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB -900 will not zoom"
In response to Reply # 1

Port Jervis, US

Bless you to the s,eventh generation! The wide angle diffusion lens was not recessed.

Sheesh -- That was scary.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 30-Sep-11 03:07 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB -900 will not zoom"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

Great!

These add items also have a little switch that shuts off the zoom control and it is very easy to have the Wide Angle adapter start to slip out and lock the manual zoom mode.

There are couple of other buttons and switches that are too easily engaged and make camera appear to be malfunctioning. It happens to all of us. I find the AF/MF camera body switch keeps being bumped into the MF mode and I do not always catch it.

Just too many controls and too little space to hold them all on the camera body and flash.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

dspvisuals Registered since 24th Apr 2013Tue 18-Jun-13 10:57 AM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB -900 will not zoom"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>Check to see that the bounce card or the wide angle adapter
>are fully inserted into their storage slot.
>
>Check to see that the micro switched by the Diffusion Dome is
>not stuck in the depressed position.
>
>

One more huge thanks to George. Twice this has happened and George's solution to the rescue. I checked everything in the menu settings and forgot about this. Thank heavens for Nikonians and George.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #55430 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.