Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #55365
View in linear mode

Subject: "Another SB-800 Problem" Previous topic | Next topic
reedman Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2006Thu 22-Sep-11 03:52 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Another SB-800 Problem"

Boston, US

I had shelved my SB-800 (sans batteries) a year or so ago thinking I was going in a different direction. But today, when I needed it for some pictures of my kids, it would not work at all. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Multiple sets of fresh batteries. On camera. Off camera. I even (GASP!) got out the manual to see if I had pressed some secret button combination that had disabled it. Still nothing.

So my question is: Has anyone had this happen? Has anyone solved this problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reedman

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Another SB-800 Problem
Hotswimmer Silver Member
22nd Sep 2011
MEMcD Moderator
22nd Sep 2011
reedman Silver Member
22nd Sep 2011
Ned_L Moderator
23rd Sep 2011
MEMcD Moderator
24th Sep 2011

Hotswimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2008Thu 22-Sep-11 06:18 AM
384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Another SB-800 Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Annapolis, US

Long shot, but oxidation or corrosion on one or more of the battery terminals?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 22-Sep-11 01:55 PM
25048 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Another SB-800 Problem"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Reed,

Sorry to hear of your problem.
What happens when you turn it On: Nothing, or does the Speedlight power up?
If nothing happens, try cleaning the electrical contacts on both the Speedlight and the batteries. It would also be a good idea to check each AA cell.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

reedman Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2006Thu 22-Sep-11 02:47 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Another SB-800 Problem"
In response to Reply # 2

Boston, US

Well don't I feel like a doofus!

Corrosion it was. When I finally found the 5th battery accessory/cover and tried it, the problem was corrected. Then I looked more closely at the standard battery cover and saw the black crud that was causing the problem.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Reedman

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberFri 23-Sep-11 11:00 AM
6398 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Another SB-800 Problem"
In response to Reply # 3

Philadelphia, US

Reed, I know this is stating the obvious, but never store flashes or other other electronics, long term, which use removable batteries, with batteries in them. Moreover, always store them in a cool, dry place, preferably with a desiccant such as silica gel, to reduce the moisture in the air in which they are stored.

I store my batteries separately from my SB-800 and SB-900 speedlights and have silica gel packets in the case in which they are stored at all times.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 24-Sep-11 01:10 AM
25048 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Another SB-800 Problem"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Reed,

Glad you found the problem.
Ned's excellent advise will prevent the problem from happening again.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #55365 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.