Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #55299
View in linear mode

Subject: "Vivitar flash" Previous topic | Next topic
ironwoodca Registered since 03rd Nov 2010Fri 16-Sep-11 03:10 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Vivitar flash"

CA

I have a 3700 Thyristor flash that flashes but the bases aren't working.

Is it worth getting it repaired so I can use the slave base for Portraits and light box photos?

Tks

Tony

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 16-Sep-11 05:14 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Vivitar flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Have you read your owners manual about using non-Nikon flashes?

The xtandard note in the Nikon manuals about 3rd party flashes:

"Use only Nikon flash units. Negative voltages or voltages over 250 V applied to the accessory shoe could not only prevent normal operation, but damage the sync circuitry of the camera or
flash. Before using a Nikon flash unit not listed in this section, contact a Nikon-authorized service representative for more information."

Have you checked to see the flash does not have high voltage at the contact points?

Have you checked the polarity of the current on the contact points is in the correct polarity?

See the note at the very bottom of the following link:

Strobe Trigger Voltages

For the Vivitar 3700:
3700 - Your call - 9.1-9.4V, checked on four different units with a Fluke meter by Jim Sharp

Have you tried the setting the flash in the "Manual" flash mode?

Can you get the flash to trigger with an optical slave?

George
My Nikonian Galleries

ironwoodca Registered since 03rd Nov 2010Fri 16-Sep-11 06:20 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Vivitar flash"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

Hi George,
Thanks for the reply.
The flash used to work with the optical slave a few years ago and then I didn't use it for a while.
My problem is that now the connection to the optical slave isn't working. is it worth trying to get it to work?

Tony

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 16-Sep-11 08:14 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Vivitar flash"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

I would get an estimate on the repair. But with the advances in strobe technology, I would look at the SB-900/700/800/600. The Nikon CLS, Creative Lighting System, is quite sophisticated and flexible. You might be be able to pickup a refurbished SB-900/700/800/600 at a price competitive with the repair.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 17-Sep-11 01:55 AM
26069 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Vivitar flash"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Tony,

If you can repair the flash yourself or get it done cheaply, it may be worth fixing. If not, it may be cheaper to replace the flash than repair it. Remember that it will only work as a remote in Manual flash mode and you will have to buy an optical trigger or RF trigger to fire it remotely.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #55299 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.