nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #55184
View in linear mode

Subject: "D300" Previous topic | Next topic
photopaint2 Gold Member  US  Nikonian since 29th Apr 2008 Thu 08-Sep-11 06:24 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D300"

I am getting 3 out of 5 pictures out of focus with the d300 when using flash. Took it to one shop and they said it was camera shake. Nope...put camera on tripod using su800 and still got out of focus pictures. Does not matter what lens I use. Most of the out of focus frames are with the flash.

It does not matter whether inside or out. F-stops have ranged from f4-f8

Also why does camera go into "pattern" moded when using flash but back to "matrix" without flash.

HelP!!

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D300 Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
08th Sep 2011
Reply message RE: D300 luckyphoto Gold Member
08th Sep 2011
Reply message RE: D300 photopaint2 Gold Member
08th Sep 2011
08th Sep 2011
     Reply message RE: D300 Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
08th Sep 2011
08th Sep 2011
08th Sep 2011
09th Sep 2011
09th Sep 2011
09th Sep 2011
09th Sep 2011
09th Sep 2011
09th Sep 2011
                                        Reply message RE: D300 gkaiseril Gold Member
10th Sep 2011
10th Sep 2011
10th Sep 2011
10th Sep 2011
10th Sep 2011
10th Sep 2011
04th Oct 2011
08th Sep 2011
Reply message RE: D300 plankowner110 Silver Member
03rd Oct 2011
03rd Oct 2011
Reply message RE: D300 lostinwy Silver Member
03rd Oct 2011
03rd Oct 2011
Reply message RE: D300 JBS101 Silver Member
04th Oct 2011
04th Oct 2011
04th Oct 2011

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Thu 08-Sep-11 12:53 PM
6042 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D300"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 08-Sep-11 12:53 PM by Arkayem

>I am getting 3 out of 5 pictures out of focus with the d300
>when using flash. Took it to one shop and they said it was
>camera shake. Nope...put camera on tripod using su800 and
>still got out of focus pictures. Does not matter what lens I
>use. Most of the out of focus frames are with the flash.
>
>It does not matter whether inside or out. F-stops have ranged
>from f4-f8
>
> Also why does camera go into "pattern" moded when
>using flash but back to "matrix" without flash.
>
>HelP!!

It may be that you are getting blur and mistaking it for a focus problem. That is generally due to the shutter at too low a setting.

Try this: Start with indoor pics in low ambient conditions (like at night with artificial light. Those are the easiest, because the flash is primary which is much easier to control than when it is fill. Setup: Camera in Manual, ISO400, aperture f/4 (or wide open), shutter 1/80, spot metering, flash in regular TTL.

The TTL flash system will control the exposure. As long as you keep your shutter high enough, the flash will freeze the subject, and your camera settings will only adjust the background exposure.

Outdoors in daylight is much more difficult, and you will have to learn fill flash. Tackle that after you learn low ambient flash primary.

Also I invite you to read my CLS blogs beginning here:
http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/01/nikon-flash-two-separate-metering.html

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

luckyphoto Gold Member  Port Charlotte, US  Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010 Thu 08-Sep-11 01:53 PM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D300"
In response to Reply # 1

Can you post an example photo with EXIF data to look at?

I'm not totally familiar with the D300, but it might be a situation where there is insufficient light for a good focus lock or it could also be a problem with how your focus options are configured.

Since a typical low ambient light flash situation freezes the subject at 1/1000 or higher, a blurry photo might indicate a focus issue.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

photopaint2 Gold Member  US  Nikonian since 29th Apr 2008 Thu 08-Sep-11 09:54 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D300"
In response to Reply # 2

will try. don't know how to post inspector

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

photopaint2 Gold Member  US  Nikonian since 29th Apr 2008 Thu 08-Sep-11 09:38 PM
#4. "RE: D300"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for feedback. Spoke with a Nikon rep. Suggested settings and took samples to send to nikon. Even with his suggestions still getting soft shots and under exposure with sb900.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Thu 08-Sep-11 09:44 PM
6042 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D300"
In response to Reply # 4

>Thanks for feedback. Spoke with a Nikon rep. Suggested
>settings and took samples to send to nikon. Even with his
>suggestions still getting soft shots and under exposure with
>sb900.

Can you post a couple of examples?

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Thu 08-Sep-11 09:45 PM
#6. "RE: D300"
In response to Reply # 4

>Thanks for feedback. Spoke with a Nikon rep. Suggested
>settings and took samples to send to nikon. Even with his
>suggestions still getting soft shots and under exposure with
>sb900.

Did you try the settings I suggested?

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

photopaint2 Gold Member  US  Nikonian since 29th Apr 2008 Thu 08-Sep-11 10:37 PM
#8. "RE: D300"
In response to Reply # 6

Yes I did. Here are a couple. Problem I would have to set flash min 1/80. I am used to aperture priority and would forget change settings. Been there with disastrous results

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Fri 09-Sep-11 12:01 AM
#9. "RE: D300"
In response to Reply # 8

These look good to me. Do you think they have problems?

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

photopaint2 Gold Member  US  Nikonian since 29th Apr 2008 Fri 09-Sep-11 04:55 AM
#10. "RE: D300"
In response to Reply # 9

These are the ones i took with your suggestion. they're pretty good thank you. but look at the first one I sent you what happened there I wander?

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Fri 09-Sep-11 12:46 PM
#11. "RE: D300"
In response to Reply # 10

>These are the ones i took with your suggestion. they're
>pretty good thank you. but look at the first one I sent you
>what happened there I wander?

The first one looks sharp to me.

What is your concern about it?

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

photopaint2 Gold Member  US  Nikonian since 29th Apr 2008 Fri 09-Sep-11 04:53 PM
#12. "RE: D300 "
In response to Reply # 11

Please look at the picture of man and woman. There was more than sufficient ambient light for focusing. I always keep focusing on "S" mode.

Thanks for your input. still waiting on Nikon to get back to me with their take on the situation.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Fri 09-Sep-11 09:46 PM
#13. "RE: D300 "
In response to Reply # 12

>Please look at the picture of man and woman. There was more
>than sufficient ambient light for focusing. I always keep
>focusing on "S" mode.

I am really confused.

You did not post a picture of a man and a woman.

What are you talking about?

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

photopaint2 Gold Member  US  Nikonian since 29th Apr 2008 Fri 09-Sep-11 10:20 PM
#14. "RE: D300 "
In response to Reply # 13

The very first picture in the series of the male and female posing with the money?

gkaiseril Gold Member  Chicago, US  Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005 Sat 10-Sep-11 12:16 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D300 "
In response to Reply # 14

Did your 18.0 - 55.0 mm f/2.8 have a Vibration Reduction or Image Stabilization feature?

Was it on?

Did you allow time for this feature to lock on to the subject?

You stripped the MakerNote data using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.4.1.

For Nikon lenses Nikon puts the following into the MakerNote ssetion along with other valuable data.

Index 0x0083: LensType int8u
with values:
Bit 0 = MF
Bit 1 = D
Bit 2 = G
Bit 3 = VR

Index 0x00ac ImageStabilization string

index 586.1 VibrationReduction int8u
with values:
0x0 = Off
0x8 = On

Nikon Tags

George
My Nikonian Galleries

photopaint2 Gold Member  US  Nikonian since 29th Apr 2008 Sat 10-Sep-11 01:21 AM
#16. "RE: D300 "
In response to Reply # 15

No stablilizer. Yes I'm now aware that lightroom strips data. Nikon rep had me download Nx for Mac before uploading for them. Semt email back. Want me to send camera for repairs. Thanks for all your help

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Sat 10-Sep-11 03:10 AM
#18. "RE: D300 "
In response to Reply # 14

>The very first picture in the series of the male and female
>posing with the money?

I see it now. It was in a separate post before the series of four more pics.

I agree that it is looks out of focus. It possibly could be camera motion, but it really looks more like a focus problem, just like you said.

If this happens regularly, there may be something wrong with the camera. I tried to find something in the image that it locked focus on, but I couldn't find anything. I am surprised that the camera allowed the shutter to release when there wasn't anything in the image that was in focus (since you said you were in focus mode S).

You should be able to see this problem through the viewfinder when taking the shot. After you half-press, check for visial sharpness. Also look for the green focus indicator. If it comes on and the image is not crystal sharp to your eyes in the viewfindr, that is an indication of a camera focus problem.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

photopaint2 Gold Member  US  Nikonian since 29th Apr 2008 Sat 10-Sep-11 04:57 AM
#19. "RE: D300 "
In response to Reply # 18

Thanks my sentiments exactly. Thanks

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Sat 10-Sep-11 04:19 PM
#20. "RE: D300 "
In response to Reply # 19

>Thanks my sentiments exactly. Thanks

Sorry for the inquisition on this.

It is a very very rare occurance for a brand new DSLR to have a gross focus problem like this. In every previous similar case I can remember, it has always ended up as some kind of operator error.

I'm afraid you may have drawn the unlucky straw in this case! But the warranty should take care of it.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

photopaint2 Gold Member  US  Nikonian since 29th Apr 2008 Sat 10-Sep-11 10:58 PM
#21. "RE: D300 "
In response to Reply # 20

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately this is on me. I purchased used only one yr extended warrenty expired.

photopaint2 Gold Member  US  Nikonian since 29th Apr 2008 Tue 04-Oct-11 10:56 PM
#29. "RE: D300 "
In response to Reply # 12

Well I heard from Nikon. They couldn't duplicate the problem I experienced but gave me a complimentary cleaning. Said it possibly the lens I'm using. I have a sigma 18-50 that I have been using for about 3 years with no problems on D80 or D7000. It is my standard lens I use majority of the time. Maybe it works on pro-sumer cameras but but not pro cameras?

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Thu 08-Sep-11 05:12 PM
#3. "RE: D300"
In response to Reply # 0

>I am getting 3 out of 5 pictures out of focus with the d300
>when using flash. Took it to one shop and they said it was
>camera shake. Nope...put camera on tripod using su800 and
>still got out of focus pictures. Does not matter what lens I
>use. Most of the out of focus frames are with the flash.
>
>It does not matter whether inside or out. F-stops have ranged
>from f4-f8
>
> Also why does camera go into "pattern" moded when
>using flash but back to "matrix" without flash.
>
>HelP!!

Another thought:

In very dark ambient conditions, the camera needs the focus assist lamp to come on. Check the focus mode switch. It should be in the 'S' position. If it is in the 'C' position the focus assist lamp in the flash will not come on, so the camera will not be able to focus in dark ambient conditions.

However, this doesn't answer the question why you would have focus problems in bright daylight as well.

Russ

Nikonian Team Member

plankowner110 Silver Member  Ohio, US  Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004 Mon 03-Oct-11 01:08 AM
469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: D300"
In response to Reply # 3

Russ' suggestion about checking the focus selection switch is a good one. It is easy to accidentally bump the switch from 'S' to 'C' because of its location on the camera. This happened to me once, but I caught it before shooting any fouled photos.
Bill
F100, D300

photopaint2 Gold Member  US  Nikonian since 29th Apr 2008 Mon 03-Oct-11 07:02 PM
#24. "RE: D300"
In response to Reply # 22

Thanks but the problem is with focusing on camera. Cost me 269.00 to repair.

lostinwy Silver Member  Cheyenne, US  Nikonian since 26th Jan 2008 Mon 03-Oct-11 04:46 AM
572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: D300"
In response to Reply # 3

I saw this with another photographer with the same camera. She was using a cheap grade filter on the lens. If you hace a filter on it, remove it and see if it clears up.

Cliff Cox
A Wyoming Nikonian
www.coxphoto.smugmug.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostinwy/

photopaint2 Gold Member  US  Nikonian since 29th Apr 2008 Mon 03-Oct-11 07:04 PM
#25. "RE: D300"
In response to Reply # 23

Evidently problem with D300 focusing. Nikon acknowledged problem and repairing. costing me 269.00 in the process.

JBS101 Silver Member  Canberra, AU  Nikonian since 20th Apr 2009 Tue 04-Oct-11 08:28 AM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: D300"
In response to Reply # 3

>In very dark ambient conditions, the camera needs the focus
>assist lamp to come on. Check the focus mode switch. It should
>be in the 'S' position. If it is in the 'C' position the focus
>assist lamp in the flash will not come on, so the camera will
>not be able to focus in dark ambient conditions.

Russ,

Thanks. I did not realise that.

Regards,

John

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Tue 04-Oct-11 01:01 PM
#27. "RE: D300"
In response to Reply # 26

>>In very dark ambient conditions, the camera needs the
>focus
>>assist lamp to come on. Check the focus mode switch. It
>should
>>be in the 'S' position. If it is in the 'C' position the
>focus
>>assist lamp in the flash will not come on, so the camera
>will
>>not be able to focus in dark ambient conditions.
>
>Russ,
>
>Thanks. I did not realise that.
>
>Regards,
>
>John

Hi John,

You're most welcome!

Another couple of points about this:

In C focus mode, the camera is normally in shutter release priority to allow the high burst rates the camera is capable of, but if you are in dark conditions, this means the camera won't focus correctly, and it will still release the shutter - end result is lots of out of focus pictures.

Also, in the heat of the moment, when you're shooting quickly, the camera strap can sometimes wrap around the camera and hit the focus mode switch hard enough to move it 0 from S to C or even worse, M. Then, you can get dozens of out of focus images before you can figure out what is wrong! This is why some wedding pros tape over this switch to make sure it doesn't get changed by mistake.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member

photopaint2 Gold Member  US  Nikonian since 29th Apr 2008 Tue 04-Oct-11 10:50 PM
#28. "RE: D300"
In response to Reply # 27

Thanks for that switch tip Russ.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #55184 Previous topic | Next topic