Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #5477
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash Bracket for F100" Previous topic | Next topic
A D MINT Registered since 16th Aug 2002Mon 18-Aug-03 02:05 PM
184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash Bracket for F100"

Hampton, US

Need help,

Looking for recommendations for a flash bracket for an F100; I have an SB-28 flash unit. Want to be able to use with or without my MB-15 battery pack. Stroboframe, or something like that???

Thanks,

Andrew

Enjoy life to the fullest, you only get one

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flash Bracket for F100
Carney2 Silver Member
18th Aug 2003
A D MINT
18th Aug 2003
Carney2 Silver Member
19th Aug 2003
Ric Clarke Silver Member
19th Aug 2003
photons Gold Member
19th Aug 2003
A D MINT
19th Aug 2003
miguel
04th Sep 2003
BILL2 Gold Member
05th Sep 2003
A D MINT
06th Sep 2003
bythehour
08th Sep 2003

Carney2 Silver Member Charter MemberMon 18-Aug-03 08:01 PM
320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash Bracket for F100"
In response to Reply # 0

Allentown, US

I use the basic (cheapest) Stroboframe QuickFlip with that exact combination (F100 with an SB-28) that you mention. Try as I might, I can't justify selling the Stroboframe and getting something "better." Throw a Lumiquest Softbox over that SB-28 and you will be well pleased.

A D MINT Registered since 16th Aug 2002Mon 18-Aug-03 09:58 PM
184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash Bracket for F100"
In response to Reply # 1

Hampton, US

Could you elaborate more on this combination? Where can I find it? Cost? Can I use my MB-15?

Thanks,

Andrew

Carney2 Silver Member Charter MemberTue 19-Aug-03 05:38 PM
320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Flash Bracket for F100"
In response to Reply # 2

Allentown, US

Most well equipped photo stores carry the Stroboframe line. Failing that, B&H sells the QuickFlip for less than $50.

As for the MB-15, I'm not the guy to ask. I am acquainted with it only from Nikon advertising literature. You will note however, that the MB-15 has a screw that attaches the battery pack to the F100. I am betting that this precludes you from using the battery pack on the Stroboframe since that same thread on the bottom of the camera body is used to attach the camera to the flash bracket. I don't know about other flash bracket manufacturers, but I'm betting that anything from Stroboframe will require you to have that thread hole free.

Sorry about that.

Ric Clarke Silver Member Charter MemberTue 19-Aug-03 08:51 PM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Flash Bracket for F100"
In response to Reply # 4

Warwick, BM

>" . . . .You will note however, that the MB-15 has a screw that attaches the battery pack to the F100. I am betting that this >precludes you from using the battery pack on the Stroboframe since that same thread on the bottom of the camera body is used >to attach the camera to the flash bracket."

The MB-15 uses the thread on the bottom of the camera body but has the same thread on its body, so the only difference is that the camera will be "higher" with the MB-15. Some brackets are specifically made to work with one configuration or the other, but not both.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

photons Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2002Tue 19-Aug-03 04:47 PM
503 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flash Bracket for F100"
In response to Reply # 0

Avon, US

I use the Stroboframe Press-T. I like the Stroboframe system, especially the camera and flash quick releases. This bracket is about $89.

Russ in CT

A D MINT Registered since 16th Aug 2002Tue 19-Aug-03 09:43 PM
#6. "RE: Flash Bracket for F100"
In response to Reply # 3

Hampton, US

The MB-15 does have the srew-in mount on the bottom.

I've decided to go with either the Pro RL or the Camera flip. However I'm having a hard time finding either of these brackets. Then I got this reply from bythehour:

>I really wanted the Stroboframe
>Pro-T, but every (major) store in NY was sold out. (The
>Saunders Group, the parent company of Stroboframe, went
>filed for Chapter 11. Thus, the supply of product has been
>spotty)

I can confirm that B&H and Adorama are out of stock.

Can anyone tell me about the Lindahl BracketPlus?

Thanks,

Andrew

miguel Registered since 04th Jun 2003Thu 04-Sep-03 06:09 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Flash Bracket for F100"
In response to Reply # 6

Phoenix, US

Andrew,

I recently purchased the Newton Di100FR and use it with my Nikon F100 with the MB15 attached. I love this flash bracket. It not only does its job well but does not hinder the operation of the camera at all.

I have used it both with and without the MB15 and it works great with the larger lenses like the 17-35 f/2.8 or the 80-200 f/2.8 with the MB15 attached. Hope this helps. The website for the newton brackets is:

http://www.newtoncamerabrackets.com/newton.html

I purchased mine from B&H

Regards,

Miguel

BILL2 Gold Member Charter MemberFri 05-Sep-03 03:41 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Flash Bracket for F100"
In response to Reply # 7

Chicago, US

If you can get the Stroboframe Quick flip, it will work fine. I use it with my F100, MB15 and SB28 combination. No matter what frame you purchase, don't forget the SC-17 sync cord to connect your camera & flash. Bill

A D MINT Registered since 16th Aug 2002Sat 06-Sep-03 11:25 AM
#9. "RE: Flash Bracket for F100"
In response to Reply # 8

Hampton, US

I'm having a hard time finding any of the stroboframe brackets I want. I may have to look at the Newton products.

Thanks,

Andrew

bythehour Registered since 21st Jul 2003Mon 08-Sep-03 02:35 AM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Flash Bracket for F100"
In response to Reply # 9

Toronto, CA

Hi Andrew,

Newton brackets are certainly higher end products. I've not had the pleasure but I know several pros who swear by them.

I went with the Lindahl Bracket Plus because it was closest in design and price to the Strobo Pro-T that I originally wanted. The Lindahl is a flash-rotation design. The two main sections (top and bottom) can be broken down for packing and transport.

The main drawback with the Lindahl is that it has the flash arm on the left side of the bracket, whereas Strobo has it on the right. This design issue may be significant for F100 shooters because the left-flash placement effectively renders your MB-15 vertical grip shutter button unusable. (You have to rotate your camera clockwise to keep the flash on top of the lens.)

The Lindahl is also missing the built-in kickstand of the Strobo, which swings out to support the rig if you wish to set it down. I have an F80, MB-16, 28-105 and SB-28 set up. I have not yet had any problems standing the rig upright. However,I would suspect that using larger lenses may create a balance problem...

btw, I found that a couple of rubber washers/gaskets were required to secure the SC-17 to the flash arm with the supplied screw. Alternatively, you could add some cork.

In favour of the Lindahl is its eminently comfortable injection molded pistol grip. However, the grip is redundant for AF bodied shooters.

It seems that many photographers (myself included) are lamenting the loss of the Pro-T. Are there any Nikonians willing to syndicate an offer to buy Saunder's interest in Stroboframe??? We could buy the patents and dies and starting churning out product to meet all this pent up demand!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #5477 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.