Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #5409
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-80DX and D100 no flash sometimes" Previous topic | Next topic
accordr Registered since 28th Aug 2002Thu 07-Aug-03 07:06 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-80DX and D100 no flash sometimes"

Hi,

I have my D100 set to JPEG FINE LARGE and with the SB80DX I take 6 pix in the buffer with a 28mm lens. It's in a dark room. When I press the shutter release 6 time within 4-5 seconds. Some pictures have no flash and I don't see the flash fire during the 4th, 5th, and sometimes the 6th shot.

The batteries are new too! Does it mean my SB80 has problems?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

grmedhat1 Registered since 24th Mar 2002Thu 07-Aug-03 11:43 AM
1569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-80DX and D100 no flash sometimes"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I don't think there is anything wrong with the flash for it sounds to me like the flash can't recharge fast enough. Asking the flash to fire 6 times in a dark room within 4-5 seconds is expecting too much - even with fresh batteries.

In a dark room at wide angle settings the flash probably has to fire at a fairly high output and simply can't recharge fast enough. The amount of ambient light, ISO setting, aperture used, lens, and flash-to-subject distance all have an influence on flash output. Changing any one variable effects flash output.

To check how fast it can recycle in the same conditions, take a single shot and wait for the ready light to come back on. That will give you a good indication how fast a frame rate you can shoot with flash. You will find the flash can recycle faster in brighter conditions, wider apertures, higher ISO, narrower lenses, and shorter shooting distances.

Happy Shooting
Garry

Happy Shooting
Garry

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 07-Aug-03 07:47 PM
10565 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-80DX and D100 no flash sometimes"
In response to Reply # 0

US

It sounds like you're exceeding the capacity of the flash's recharge cycle. It can't keep up with your shutter release rate. If you're looking for that kind of performance from your flash, you should consider getting an external battery pack from manufacturers such as Sunpak or Quantum.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #5409 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.