Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #53893
View in linear mode

Subject: "looking for a low budget Flash for a d5000" Previous topic | Next topic
whitenhiemer Registered since 04th May 2011Wed 04-May-11 07:41 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"looking for a low budget Flash for a d5000"

San Antonio, US

Hey Forum,

I'm new to photography and building my equipment list slowly. I've been wanting a flash for when I take portraits of my son. The problem being that I'm about $1000 invested to a young hobby for me. I've seen the SB-700 by Nikon, and I'm completely impressed, but I was wondering if there were any off-brand similarly specked flashes out there. Willing to take any advice, and if it ends up being to just get the 700 then I'll just save up a bit.

~Brandon

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: looking for a low budget Flash for a d5000
MEMcD Moderator
05th May 2011
jimmills Silver Member
05th May 2011
whitenhiemer
05th May 2011
blw Moderator
06th May 2011
kcjohnson
07th May 2011
blw Moderator
07th May 2011
whitenhiemer
16th May 2011
pel326 Silver Member
07th May 2011

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 05-May-11 04:18 AM
25663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: looking for a low budget Flash for a d5000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Brandon,

A used or refurbished SB-600 is a slightly less expensive option.
As a general rule, Nikon Speedlights are the best fit as there are no compatibility issues.
Metz also builds excellent Speedlights though they are priced about the same as Nikon.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

jimmills Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Dec 2010Thu 05-May-11 01:07 PM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: looking for a low budget Flash for a d5000"
In response to Reply # 1

Fort Walton Beach, FL, US

I found an SB-600 at Best Buy for $219.

Jim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

whitenhiemer Registered since 04th May 2011Thu 05-May-11 04:21 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: looking for a low budget Flash for a d5000"
In response to Reply # 2

San Antonio, US

Thanks guys, going to keep my eyes out in ebay and craigslist for one of those.

~Brandon

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 06-May-11 12:34 AM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: looking for a low budget Flash for a d5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

You might also consider the Sigma EF-610 ST DG - about $160. The main difference between it and the SB-600 is that the Nikon can act as a remote, which the Sigma cannot. (Note: Sigma also have the EF-610 DG Super, which adds the ability to be either a commander or remote.) Just be sure to get the model that works with Nikon bodies.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

kcjohnson Registered since 28th Apr 2008Sat 07-May-11 01:09 AM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: looking for a low budget Flash for a d5000"
In response to Reply # 4

Surprise, US

Hey Brian,
I've tried the low budget flash route in the past and have always been disappointed for one reason or another. Try looking online for a used SB600 or just knuckle under and get a new SB700 (or better, depending on the toughness of your knuckles). I think in the long run you will be more pleased with the full compatibility your Nikon system will enjoy and if you ever have problems you will avoid "it's not Nikon so we can't help you" or "it's not CheapFlash so we can't help you". I'm a pro photographer who worked my way up through the amateur ranks. Hope you find this helpful. Good success in all you do.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 07-May-11 04:17 AM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: looking for a low budget Flash for a d5000"
In response to Reply # 6

Richmond, US

Have you tried a recent Sigma flash? Like their lenses, at one time they were not really up to scratch. Recent models have been quite good. As an example, I've recently been working with a Sigma EM-140 ring flash with Nikon iTTL and it's operationally equivalent to a Nikon unit, although in fact Nikon do not offer one of these. (Which is how I've come to have an interest in this particular unit. On the other hand, if they can get iTTL right on this one, I see no reason to think that they can't get it right on a regular shoe-mount flash.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

whitenhiemer Registered since 04th May 2011Mon 16-May-11 11:04 PM
#8. "RE: looking for a low budget Flash for a d5000"
In response to Reply # 6

San Antonio, US

Hi KC,

Thanks for the advice, I'll be on lookout for a SB-600 here in town, unless I can convince my wife that a few bruises on the knuckles can justify the SB-700. I really like the fact that either of these can work as a master. I don't own any remote gear, but it would be nice to be able to grow into it. I'm also hoping that if I do go the Nikon route I will have a bit more ease of use pairing Nikon with Nikon.

Brandon

pel326 Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2010Sat 07-May-11 12:15 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: looking for a low budget Flash for a d5000"
In response to Reply # 0

Chandler, US

Refurbished SB-600 look to be back in stock at the Nikon store.

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/en_US/pd/productID.213479000

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #53893 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.