Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #53842
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB800 as remote problem with standby" Previous topic | Next topic
YNPpro Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Aug 2006Sat 30-Apr-11 12:58 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB800 as remote problem with standby"

US

When I use the SB800 in remote mode using the popup flash on my D300 as the main, the SB800 goes into standby after a short time. I have to push the on/off button to wake it up. I have tried turning the standby off when the flash is set to master but this does not fix the problem. When used in the remote mode, the standby icon is not visible.

The flash does fire properly when used in remote mode.

Any ideas...thanks Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Sat 30-Apr-11 01:49 AM
1387 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB800 as remote problem with standby"
In response to Reply # 0

New York City, US

Thomas,
According to the SB-800's user manual (page 21), "Standby" does not function when the unit is set to Remote mode. Make sure all your settings are correct.

Hope this helps...JL

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 30-Apr-11 03:53 PM
25009 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB800 as remote problem with standby"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Tom,

In Remote mode, or SU-4 mode, my SB-800 never goes into standby mode.
Are you using fresh batteries?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

YNPpro Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Aug 2006Sun 01-May-11 02:01 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB800 as remote problem with standby"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks as it turns out the batteries were getting weak even though the flash was firing correctly in remote with good exposures. So the manual is not accurate, the SB800 does go into standby in remote mode when the batteries drop beyond some low charge point.

Tom

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #53842 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.