nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
aj_witt

Jacksonville, US
147 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
aj_witt Registered since 13th Feb 2008
Mon 28-Feb-11 11:52 AM

I'm trying to do a shot similar to this. I looked in the SB800 manual and read the two pages about the RPT mode twice and it still doesn't make much sense, but I thought I'd give it a try anyways.

I started by putting the flash on RPT mode. Once there, I hit the red "flash" button on the flash to test it. It worked fine. I saw 5 bursts of light.

Then when trying to test it using my Cybersyncs, it would not fire the 5 flashes, but instead, just one flash. Is this RPT mode only applicable when the camera is mounted to the camera's hot shoe?

Since I couldn't get it to work with the Cybersyncs, I decided to mount the flash to the camera. Once I did that I also only got one flash. This initial attempt was at 1/80th of a second, which is the same shutter speed used in the attached pic (which I downloaded because I wanted to try this method, it is not my pic). At 1/80 I still didn't get my 5 flashes again. So I increased the shutter speed to 1.5 seconds just to see what would happen, and then I finally got my 5 different flashes. But they were all very fast and not spread out through out the 1.5 second exposure.

I played with adjusting the shutter speed some more and never got the results I wanted. Does anyone have any idea specifically how a shot like the one attached would be taken? Would it matter if I had it on front or rear curtain?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. I'm determined to get this type of shot figured out.

Click on image to view larger version

Thanks!

AJ Witt
www.AJWittPhotography.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

AJ Witt
www.ajwittphotography.com
www.flickr.com/photos/aj_witt

G