nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #53046
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB800 & RPT Mode" Previous topic | Next topic
aj_witt Registered since 13th Feb 2008Mon 28-Feb-11 12:52 PM
147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB800 & RPT Mode"

Jacksonville, US

I'm trying to do a shot similar to this. I looked in the SB800 manual and read the two pages about the RPT mode twice and it still doesn't make much sense, but I thought I'd give it a try anyways.

I started by putting the flash on RPT mode. Once there, I hit the red "flash" button on the flash to test it. It worked fine. I saw 5 bursts of light.

Then when trying to test it using my Cybersyncs, it would not fire the 5 flashes, but instead, just one flash. Is this RPT mode only applicable when the camera is mounted to the camera's hot shoe?

Since I couldn't get it to work with the Cybersyncs, I decided to mount the flash to the camera. Once I did that I also only got one flash. This initial attempt was at 1/80th of a second, which is the same shutter speed used in the attached pic (which I downloaded because I wanted to try this method, it is not my pic). At 1/80 I still didn't get my 5 flashes again. So I increased the shutter speed to 1.5 seconds just to see what would happen, and then I finally got my 5 different flashes. But they were all very fast and not spread out through out the 1.5 second exposure.

I played with adjusting the shutter speed some more and never got the results I wanted. Does anyone have any idea specifically how a shot like the one attached would be taken? Would it matter if I had it on front or rear curtain?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. I'm determined to get this type of shot figured out.

Thanks!

AJ Witt
www.AJWittPhotography.com

AJ Witt
www.ajwittphotography.com
www.flickr.com/photos/aj_witt

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 28-Feb-11 03:27 PM
26897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: SB800 & RPT Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

You need to increase the frequency of the flashes. They need to occur within your shutter speed, which isn't all that easy for 1/100th as the subject may not be moving fast enough to accommodate that.

Personally I have to futz with it every time to get what I want.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #53046 Previous topic | Next topic