Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Capt Slog

1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Capt Slog Registered since 21st Feb 2011
Mon 21-Feb-11 03:11 PM

I've been looking up some information about flash isolators, as I have access to some studio flash equipment and know I can't connect it directly to my camera.

I've found the Wein units and also various DIY solutions that use opto-isolators. It seems that most of these use the camera to switch around 6v, which in turn is used to switch the flash which could be in the region of 100's of volts.

OK so far, I think I understand.

Here's what's puzzling me. I connected a digital storage osciloscope to the flash hot shoe of my D40, using the outer connection and the main centre pin. On shutter release, I see a peak of around 560 mV (sorry, didn't make a note of the duration). Now that's around 0.5V coming from* of the camera, anyone know why or what it's for?

It has me worried because anything I buy or make will put voltage onto this circuit which is evidently logic based rather than a passive switch.

(* I say it's coming from the camera, but in true electrical sense it isn't, it's a potential of 0.5volts with no current flowing.)