Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #521
View in linear mode

Subject: "Technical - how does wireless TTL work?" Previous topic | Next topic
Paul_Fisher Gold Member Awarded for his multiple article contributions Charter MemberSat 03-Nov-01 01:06 PM
12788 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Technical - how does wireless TTL work?"

Perth, AU

I've been reading the various posts about the SB-28/SU4 and SB-50 etc being used as wireless slaves with TTL metering. Question: How does the camera send the quench command to the remote flash? I can see that a sensor on the flash itself will trigger the flash to fire, but the quench part of the equation has me puzzled.

I'm currently using an F-80 with a third-party (cheapo) hot-show flash, but would like to move up to a proper speedlight setup.

Paul Fisher
My home page
Engineering, music, instrument making, photography and family history

Paul Fisher
Nikonian in Perth, Western Australia
My home page

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Technical - how does wireless TTL work?
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
03rd Nov 2001
Paul_Fisher Gold Member Awarded for his multiple article contributions
03rd Nov 2001
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
03rd Nov 2001
jjussi
03rd Nov 2001
Paul_Fisher Gold Member Awarded for his multiple article contributions
03rd Nov 2001

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 03-Nov-01 04:11 PM
35059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Technical - how does wireless TTL work?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Well, the fun part about the SB-50 is that in fact it has an integrated built-in SU-4. So it improves upon the effective GN for cameras like the N80.
Another option is to use a SC-17 cord with any Nikon speedlight, which will render an even larger effective GN.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story
About us

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Paul_Fisher Gold Member Awarded for his multiple article contributions Charter MemberSat 03-Nov-01 09:42 PM
12788 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Technical - how does wireless TTL work?"
In response to Reply # 1

Perth, AU

Thanks, JRP, but that doesn't answer the question

What I was trying to ask was: How does the SB50 or SU4 know when enough light has been emitted? With the cord connection, or the flash in the hotshoe, the camera sends a signal to the flash saying "Start firing now". When the camera's meter determines that there is sufficient light on the subject, it sends a second message saying "OK you can stop now". This is easy enough when there is a cable connection, but how does it work in wireless mode?

I understand that the SB50 or SU4/SB28 can be used as the remoe, and triggered by the pop-up flash of the F80. But how do they receive the "turn off" signal?

Thanks again
Paul Fisher
My home page

Paul Fisher
My home page

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 03-Nov-01 09:47 PM
35059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Technical - how does wireless TTL work?"
In response to Reply # 2

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Of course that did not answer the question.
I am running some tests with my SU-4's to be absolutely certain. TTL is possible, that I know, however, the ISO speed is not "sent" from the camera, for example. I'll let you know as soon as I do for sure.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

jjussi Basic MemberSat 03-Nov-01 10:27 PM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Technical - how does wireless TTL work?"
In response to Reply # 3

KLAUKKALA, FI

I am not sure but... Simples answer is, because it trickered by another flash, it stop when that "tricker" flash is stopped.

1. Tricker flash fires
2. SU-4 notice that and fires slave
3. When there is enought light on film Tricker flash goes off
4. SU-4 notice that light "flow" is reduced so it knows that tricker has gone so it must close slave flash too...

--
© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All picture what are posted to www.nikonians.org

© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All photos posted to nikonians

Paul_Fisher Gold Member Awarded for his multiple article contributions Charter MemberSat 03-Nov-01 10:39 PM
#5. "RE: Technical - how does wireless TTL work?"
In response to Reply # 4

Perth, AU

Jussi, you're right! I found the information on this page: http://www.maxwell.com.au/support/faq/11001_SU4_JW.html

which is a subset of the SU-4 FAQs at Maxwells in Oz:
http://www.maxwell.com.au/PHOTO/ACC/Nikon-acc/SU_4_FAQ.html

Thanks
Paul Fisher
My home page

Paul Fisher
My home page

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #521 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.