Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #5193
View in linear mode

Subject: "difference between exposure compensation & flash compen" Previous topic | Next topic
ajsphoto Registered since 23rd Jan 2003Fri 11-Jul-03 11:05 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"difference between exposure compensation & flash compen"

What is the difference of using exposure compensation & flash compensation. Is there any advantage of using either.

Thanks,

Allen

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: difference between exposure compensation & flash co
jnscbl
12th Jul 2003
jrp Administrator
12th Jul 2003
jnscbl
13th Jul 2003
ajsphoto
14th Jul 2003
Saxofonix
19th Jul 2003

jnscbl Basic MemberSat 12-Jul-03 01:49 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: difference between exposure compensation & flash co"
In response to Reply # 0

US

They are different, but linked. It's a little hard to explain to anyone who has not used manual equipment. Don't know if you have or not. Nowdays, with a full auto AF body, if you change anything like ISO or aperture, shutterspeed, etc., the exposure still comes out OK. So there must be a way to leave the camera in auto mode, but still have human intervention. First is exposure compensation. This will make the overall image, whether flash used or not, darker or lighter than the meter dictates. Second is flash compensation. Use this to increase or decrease the output of the flash only. It does not affect the existing light in the scene. The two can be used together, but remember that exposure compensation rules. If you increase the flash by +1, and decrease the exposure by -1, you have made the "background" darker, but the flash is effectively unchanged. There are many situations where the meter is fooled, and either exposure or flash compensation should be adjusted, but there is little justification for routinely leaving one or the other arbitrarily set. This is all very general information that applies to any brand or model. If you want to see them in action, shoot a roll of slides, keeping notes for each frame as to what you have changed.

--scott

"Less is not more. Enough is enough. Less is less."
David Vestal

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 12-Jul-03 07:29 PM
34330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: difference between exposure compensation & flash co"
In response to Reply # 1

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Thanks Scott.
I found no words to express it as well as you did.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

jnscbl Basic MemberSun 13-Jul-03 01:32 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: difference between exposure compensation & flash co"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I don't know; I think I should have left ISO out ("...if you change anything..."). Depends on the body, I guess.

--scott

"Less is not more. Enough is enough. Less is less."
David Vestal

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

ajsphoto Registered since 23rd Jan 2003Mon 14-Jul-03 12:15 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: difference between exposure compensation & flash co"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks Scott. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me.

Allen

Saxofonix Awarded for his shared expert professional advice on photography at large and most notably on speedlight usage Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 21st Jun 2002Sat 19-Jul-03 07:22 AM
316 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: difference between exposure compensation & flash co"
In response to Reply # 0

Wayne, US

Check this thread out as well ..

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=845&forum=DCForumID7

Neil vN.
http://www.planetneil.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #5193 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.