nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #509
View in linear mode

Subject: "Macro, "D" lenses, and the SB-28" Previous topic | Next topic
Mark_D Basic MemberMon 29-Oct-01 12:42 AM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Macro, "D" lenses, and the SB-28"

San Antonio, US

Hey Folks,

I'm new to the Nikon world and the whole "D" lens thing. What I'd like to know is if the distance information plays a part in the flash metering in macro photography. I'm gonna be getting an SB-28 for general flash as well as some close-up work and I'm trying to decide between purchasing a 105/2.8 D or non-D version. I couldn't find any info about this in the Nikon promo catalogs. So, I would appreciate it if someone could explain if the "D" lens would offer any advantage in terms of close-up flash metering.

Thanks so much,

Mark

Life is on a random reinforcement schedule

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jnscbl Basic MemberMon 29-Oct-01 02:03 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Macro, "D" lenses, and the SB-28"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Much more important is that you pay attention to the section of the Speedlight manual covering Close-up Photography. And you will get your best results using spot metering, with the sensor positioned over the lightest part of the subject.
I won't try to answer the "D" mystique, but if I had the chance to buy a used 105mm Micro NON-D for substantially less than a "D" in equivalent condition, I would jump on it.
---scott

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=149771

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 29-Oct-01 02:28 AM
35228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Macro, "D" lenses, and the SB-28"
In response to Reply # 1

San Pedro Garza García, MX

The "D" chip mystique is indeed fascinating. The theory is great. Such chip conveys distance info from the lens into the body and from there into the speedlight.
The practice shows, nevertheless, no easy to notice differences than when using a non-D lens, specially after the Nikon speedlight technology has been so much improved over at least the last 12 years or so.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story
About us

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Alex Basic MemberTue 30-Oct-01 06:59 AM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Macro, "D" lenses, and the SB-28"
In response to Reply # 2

FWIW I use an SB-28 with a Sigma 105 macro lens with D capabilities and the exposures work wonderfully. Don't know if this is down to the D technology in the lens, or the clever old SB28, but the results are good and sell well. Wish I could afford a Nikkor 105 macro though! the Sigma lens is very good, but I do like Nikkors!
JMHO
Alex
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #509 Previous topic | Next topic