nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #499
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon F60 (N60) & SB-28 - too little features to go alo..." Previous topic | Next topic
Nikonman Basic MemberFri 26-Oct-01 05:54 PM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon F60 (N60) & SB-28 - too little features to go along!"

Hello Nikonians,
Today I'm thrilled to own a brand new SB-28 to go with my F3, F801 (N8008) and F60 (N60).

After reading the manual, it seems that the SB-28 has only few capabilities to go with the F60. I was a bit disappointed but never mind. The power it has justifies the price paid anyway, plus the bounce and swivel .

One big annoyance is that I may have to set the aperture setting manually on the SB-28 instead of letting it calculate automatically while using 'Program' mode on the F60. I'm still in the process of digesting the manual but initial understanding of the manual says as the above. Is it true?

Or can somebody cheer me up a bit by confirming that the SB-28 can be just as simple to use as the built-in speedlight. I just spent money equivalent to another brand new F60 or F65 (N60/ N65)body

Thanks a lot.

Nikonman

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jnscbl Basic MemberFri 26-Oct-01 09:30 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon F60 (N60) & SB-28 - too little features to go along!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

With TTL flash, the camera's brain measures the light hitting the film, and turns off the flash. You don't need to set anything on the flash, other than the mode selector. The only reason you would need to enter the information is if you want to be able to see the correct distance range on the LCD of the flash. But many inexperienced flash users ignore this info even if the camera communicates it to the flash (N80). Especially if shooting with the flash in manual mode, you will want to enter the ISO and Fstop, so that you can know what aperture to set, or what power level. Oh, yes, and the N60 won't control the zoom head, so you will want to keep an eye on that depending on the focal length you are using.
---scott

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=149771

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

Nikonman Basic MemberSat 27-Oct-01 05:50 AM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon F60 (N60) & SB-28 - too little features to go along!"
In response to Reply # 1

Hi Scott, thanks for your assuarance. That is exactly what I was hoping the F60- SB-28 combo is able to do. I'm trying out my first roll of film with the flash and will try out all the modes available as well as let it do the calculations itself on 'Program' mode. I'm new to bounce flash and that is one area I want to experiment with too. I'm sure to see better flash picture this time, unlike my SB-12 on the F3 which produces strong shadows. But then the SB-12 is over 18 years old and still going strong. I wonder if the SB-28 will last just as long, or longer

As you mentioned, there is no autozoom function with the F60, as well as rear-curtain and (as the manual says) no red-eye control. But the F60 can control red-eye with its own little flash. Oh well, I guess I may want to upgrade to a 'Category 1' Nikon soon to be able to utilize the SB-28 to the maximum. I think Nikon segmentizes its cameras too much, which in the end confuses users. Even the instructon manual is confusing.

Have a nice day.

Nikonman

jnscbl Basic MemberSat 27-Oct-01 03:11 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon F60 (N60) & SB-28 - too little features to go along!"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Red-eye is not a problem with bounced flash, of course.
---scott

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=149771

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #499 Previous topic | Next topic