Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #49712
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB900 Flash - battery discharge" Previous topic | Next topic
zepirate Registered since 20th Jan 2009Fri 30-Jan-09 01:12 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB900 Flash - battery discharge"
Fri 30-Jan-09 01:14 AM by zepirate

MY

Hi,
I left fully recharged NiMH batteries in the SB900 flash overnight. The next morning the batteries are dead. The flash was definitely turned off. would like to ask if any of you experienced this also? or is there a problem with my flash?
Tried it with anther set of rechargables and the same happened, so that rules out the batteries. I did not have such a problem with other flash units of other brands. So I do not put in any batteries overnight now.
Thanks.

(oops - sorry accidently posted this in the D700 section. How do I move it to the flash section?)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB900 Flash - battery discharge
MEMcD Moderator
30th Jan 2009
zepirate
02nd Feb 2009
pdelany Gold Member
03rd Feb 2009
johnlophoto
03rd Feb 2009
zepirate
03rd Feb 2009
pdelany Gold Member
03rd Feb 2009
hwdx347 Silver Member
04th Feb 2009
Ed911 Silver Member
22nd Jul 2010
Dark Messiah Silver Member
30th Jul 2010
AndrewFromCanada Silver Member
30th Jul 2010
b wang
13th Aug 2010
MEMcD Moderator
13th Aug 2010
sjackal
14th Aug 2010
rmsphoto2009 Silver Member
15th Aug 2010

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 30-Jan-09 04:09 AM
25901 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB900 Flash - battery discharge"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Vincent,

If you are sure you installed the batteries correctly.
Give Nikon Tecchnical relations a call. My guess is there is somthing wrong with the Speedlight.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikon!

Best Regards,
Marty

zepirate Registered since 20th Jan 2009Mon 02-Feb-09 10:31 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB900 Flash - battery discharge"
In response to Reply # 1

MY

I thot so. Thanks Marty

pdelany Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Nov 2008Tue 03-Feb-09 01:38 AM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB900 Flash - battery discharge"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

I have two SB900's and I leave the batteries in them all the time (contrary to advice I've seen here in Nikonians). I've never once had a the batteries go dead on me. I use the strobes at least twice a week too. Sounds like a problem with the flash itself.

Stop and take the picture, you may not get a second chance.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

johnlophoto Registered since 06th Dec 2008Tue 03-Feb-09 02:27 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: SB900 Flash - battery discharge"
In response to Reply # 3

Lynn, US

Never uss anything but alkaline batteries in the 900. More power and they do not cause over heating. I went to a clinic and did about 100 different test and I'll never use rechargables again or anything but duracell coppertops! love them

zepirate Registered since 20th Jan 2009Tue 03-Feb-09 09:18 AM
#5. "RE: SB900 Flash - battery discharge"
In response to Reply # 4

MY

Thank you all for your replies. Visiting the Nikon Service Centre soon.

pdelany Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Nov 2008Tue 03-Feb-09 09:30 AM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB900 Flash - battery discharge"
In response to Reply # 4

Canton, US

I have to disagree. I tried the good old copper tops (out of a brand new package) and overheated. In my experience, fresh, fully charged Ni-MH batteries from Radio Shack last longer and cause less overheating issues for my shooting. I can shoot an 8 hour high school wrestling tournament on one set of batteries without and overheat. That’s about 600 images. I rarely shoot rapid fire.

Stop and take the picture, you may not get a second chance.

hwdx347 Silver Member Charter MemberWed 04-Feb-09 06:58 PM
6273 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: SB900 Flash - battery discharge"
In response to Reply # 0

Maumelle, US

How old are the batteries? Once NIMH age they will not hold a charge overnight. Try ENELOOP batteries.

Hedley
Originally from Merthyr Tydfil, Wales -- now in Arkansas

Ed911 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Thu 22-Jul-10 06:18 PM
216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: SB900 Flash - battery discharge"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu 22-Jul-10 07:36 PM by Ed911

US

I use low discharge rechargeable batteries. Love'em. There are various brands...some hold a charge for longer than others. The Sanyo brand advertises one of the longest times.

Back on topic...I leave my batteries in my SB900's all the time...never had a discharge problem...fully charged regular Nmhi batteries will lose a significant amount of their charge in a month or so just sitting in your flash, or battery case. I used to think my flashes were battery hogs...until I switched to low discharge batteries.

Okay, here's something that I didn't think of until just now. One of your batteries maybe bad. I found that to be true with a set of mine...I couldn't tell what the issue was until I put them in my new charger...which had an LED display of each battery...it was only then that I noticed that one of the batteries wasn't charging properly. In my old charger, a green light would come on for a pair and while I did notice that one set/pair took longer to charge than the other pair...I didn't think anything of it.

And new/out of the box parts/batteries can be defective. I recently bought some Everex rechargeables, and a new battery charger...the one that charges each battery separately. I placed all 8 of the batteries in the new charger and consequently noticed that one of the batteries wasn't taking a charge like all the rest. 7 were fully charged and one was still charging, showing only a partial charge. I decided to let it go. It finally charged...but didn't work well...I called Everex and they sent a new AA Nmhi rechargeable. I put off using it since the conflicted one did charge, but the set that it was in never worked/lasted as long as they should and finally wound up replacing it with the one Everex sent. Now everything is okay.

Note: Yep, you could have two defective sets. So, I'd try a set of Alkaline batteries...if it still happens, then I would send it back to the factory. On the other hand, if it doesn't happen with the Alkaline batteries...I'd purchase a new set of rechargeables and try those.)

Just my two cents.

Dark Messiah Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2009Fri 30-Jul-10 08:12 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: SB900 Flash - battery discharge"
In response to Reply # 8

Wymondham, GB

Another "off-topic" vote for Eneloops. I believe that many other companies including Duracell produce the same low self-discharge batteries too.

On-topic.......my SB-900 has never discharged the batteries when turned off.

Please feel free to visit and comment on my Nikonians gallery.

AndrewFromCanada Silver Member Charter MemberFri 30-Jul-10 10:16 PM
1314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: SB900 Flash - battery discharge"
In response to Reply # 9

Victoria, CA

And using rechargeables should be a goal anyway (something like 15 billion disposable batteries are used and thrown out (or hopefully recycled) every year).

b wang Registered since 03rd Jun 2006Fri 13-Aug-10 04:51 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: SB900 Flash - battery discharge"
In response to Reply # 8

Mamaroneck, US

i agree with Ed that the most likely culprit is that you have a single cell that is malfunctioning.

i'd suggest getting a battery tester and testing your batteries before you take them out on a shoot.

i've been using + really like this $30 model from Thomas Distributing
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/shop/zts-minimbt9r-battery-testerbrincludes-free-deluxe-protective-carrying-case-p-564.html?SP_id=&osCsid=a98rm8a91donrsllit8gi3gna7

bill

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 13-Aug-10 07:40 PM
25901 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: SB900 Flash - battery discharge"
In response to Reply # 11

US

If you have one defective cell. Replace the entire set.
You should keep the rechargeable batteries grouped together in sets throughout their service life. Using mismatched batteries is a recipe for disaster.
You can use the other three batteries in remotes or other devices that do nod demand as much power.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

sjackal Registered since 02nd Aug 2010Sat 14-Aug-10 03:22 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: SB900 Flash - battery discharge"
In response to Reply # 12

SG

And about alkalines, they leak so easily.

Over the past few years I had a few battery leakage problem in the hot and humid weather here and all the leakage came from duracell alkalines. Energizer is a better brand for alkalines IMHO.

For Nimhs, Imedions and Eneloops are the way to go.

rmsphoto2009 Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009Sun 15-Aug-10 12:03 AM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: SB900 Flash - battery discharge"
In response to Reply # 13

Toronto, CA

Having escaped a leakage in my SB-900 (I caught it early and was able to clean it out; do a search for related thread), I never leave batteries in my speedlights.

It's just not worth the risk!

Ralph.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #49712 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.