Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #49634
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why rotate flash head with diffuser?" Previous topic | Next topic
DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 15-Jul-10 03:51 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why rotate flash head with diffuser?"

Phoenix, US

I just got a GF Collapsible LS and all the training videos and instructions say to rotate the flash head 90 deg when bouncing off the ceiling. Why? The LS itself is symmetrical so does it do something different for the flash output or pattern? I don't mind following the instructions but I have a need to know why. I can't really see a difference if I rotate or if I don't rotate in a couple of test shots so far.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 15-Jul-10 04:06 PM
29080 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why rotate flash head with diffuser?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

This is nothing to do with the light output pattern.

Having the Speedlight head turned 90 degrees allows you to rotate the camera to portrait orientation and easily tilt the flash head so that it is still pointing upwards

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 15-Jul-10 05:01 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why rotate flash head with diffuser?"
In response to Reply # 1

Phoenix, US

Thanks, Brian. The light just came on

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 15-Jul-10 09:48 PM
3356 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why rotate flash head with diffuser?"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

Yes, it is really a quick single move of pressing the head release and holding the hinge still with the left hand and rotating the whole camera body around that axis of the flash hinge to instantly go from landscape to portrait or the opposite.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #49634 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.