nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Zoom setting with softbox and other diffusers?

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1302 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003
Wed 14-Jul-10 11:23 PM

In his book, "Using the Nikon Creative Lighting System", Mike Hagen says that one would not want to activate the automatic zoom function of an SB800 if one place diffusion ("like a Gary Fong Lightsphere or Lumiquest soft box") over the flash. However, he does not say which zoom setting one should use in those circumstances.

I usually use the automatic zoom function even though I use diffusers with my SB800s and SB900. Which zoom settings do you use when using diffusers? Wider or narrower than the lens setting? I use the Gary Fong whaletails and Lastolite softboxes (also a small Photoflex softbox on occasion). Have I missed something basic?

I do use a longer zoom setting if bouncing the flash. That is pretty intuitive..just estimate how much farther the light has to travel as opposed to the camera to subject distance.

Tell me what I don't understand about how to use the diffusers with the flashes. I will appreciate your help. This is a bit time critical since I am taking some pics at my Mother's birthday party this weekend.

JDT

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Zoom setting with softbox and other diffusers?

G