nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #493
View in linear mode

Subject: "Changes to speedlights for Nikon digital cameras" Previous topic | Next topic
pjmckenna Basic MemberFri 26-Oct-01 03:01 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Changes to speedlights for Nikon digital cameras"

Folks,
  The D1 etc have trouble with OTF flash metering because they have no F to meter off. Apparently the SB-xxDX flashes operate differently when connected to a digital camera compared to when they're on a film camera.
  What is the difference to their operation?
  Apparently they still do the preflash(es?) that are metered off the front shutter but what happens after that?
-P.J.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Changes to speedlights for Nikon digital cameras
jstream Silver Member
26th Oct 2001
meerkat
26th Oct 2001
Johnny
28th Oct 2001
Reply message Monitor preflash...
BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources
29th Oct 2001
Reply message RE: Monitor preflash...
pjmckenna
30th Oct 2001

jstream Silver Member Charter MemberFri 26-Oct-01 05:34 PM
389 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Changes to speedlights for Nikon digital cameras"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Hi,

If I remember right, the difference between the DX and the non DX is mostly electronic (primarily a slight voltage difference). Otherwise the system really works the same. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

will

William A. Rieselbach

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

meerkat Basic MemberFri 26-Oct-01 07:11 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Changes to speedlights for Nikon digital cameras"
In response to Reply # 1

silly-can valley, US

I guess DX add some protocols (while preserving existing ones) for handshake with digital camera.

Say SB50, can compensate 1/3 step on film camera, 1/6 on digital etc.

Meerkat

Johnny Basic MemberSun 28-Oct-01 03:37 AM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Changes to speedlights for Nikon digital cameras"
In response to Reply # 0

Westampton, US

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-01 AT 04:38 AM (GMT)

I believe the 'DX' flashes will take the reflectivity of the CCD into account. I believe it still works in the OTF style (just no film but compensates for the CCD itself).

Johnny

Johnny

---
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberMon 29-Oct-01 07:19 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "Monitor preflash..."
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

The DX flash electronics alows the D1 slr bodies to do the TTL metering during monitor preflash, not during the actual exposure as happens with other Nikon bodies. The DX does not fix the problem of metering reflected light off the imaging chip as the other answers hypothesize...

Moose Peterson describes the issue here:

http://www.moose395.net/digital/d1x0601.html

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

pjmckenna Basic MemberTue 30-Oct-01 09:49 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Monitor preflash..."
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks BJ.

I had presume the SB-xxDX flashes have an extra mode where the camera will tell the flash the amount of energy to release before the main discharge rather than sending a "cut-off" signal during discharge. Mr Moose (sorry, I can's write that without smiling) says some interesting thingsabout flashes but nothing concrete. Then again it may be a Nikon trade secret.

I was surprised that the preflashes are not useful beyond 20 feet or so. Does this imply that 3D Matrix-balanced fill-flash is not possible beyond this distance?

-P.J.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #493 Previous topic | Next topic