nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #49222
View in linear mode

Subject: "sunset, TTL and TTL-BL" Previous topic | Next topic
dandy49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2009Wed 16-Jun-10 02:50 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"sunset, TTL and TTL-BL"

clearwater, US

Hi all,
I am trying my best to learn my SB800. I am getting better knowing TTL and TTL-BL. One question I have is that while TTL is good for flashing the main subject and TTL-BL is good for balancing the subject with ambient, how does one determine which mode to shoot people at dusk with a beautiful sunset? Would you meter for the sky and shoot TTL? Would you do a FV lock on the subject the meter for the sky and shoot TTL? I am soooo confused with this conundrum. Thanks for your input. Daniel

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Lewis Junior Registered since 08th May 2010Wed 16-Jun-10 07:11 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: sunset, TTL and TTL-BL"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

With a beautiful sunset in the backround (sun below the horizn) I always spot meter the brightest part of the sky and lock it in. With the sb800 in TTL mode I lock the flash 'FV lock', compose and take the photo. Now I've only done this once and the results were very good. I still need to practice more. One thing for sure is where I mentioned metering the brightest part of the sky for the backround exposure. In the film days I've taken hundreds of sunset photos and sold many of them. Hope this helps a little.

>Hi all,
>I am trying my best to learn my SB800. I am getting better
>knowing TTL and TTL-BL. One question I have is that while TTL
>is good for flashing the main subject and TTL-BL is good for
>balancing the subject with ambient, how does one determine
>which mode to shoot people at dusk with a beautiful sunset?
>Would you meter for the sky and shoot TTL? Would you do a FV
>lock on the subject the meter for the sky and shoot TTL? I am
>soooo confused with this conundrum. Thanks for your input.
>Daniel

dandy49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2009Wed 16-Jun-10 10:08 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: sunset, TTL and TTL-BL"
In response to Reply # 1

clearwater, US

Thanks for the reply. I don't quite understand "lock the flash FV lock. Do you lock the sky in by pressing the shutter half way or use the AE lock button on the back of the camera? Do you then press the FV button on front of the camera to do the fv on the couple? Thanks again for your help. Daniel

Lewis Junior Registered since 08th May 2010Wed 16-Jun-10 11:01 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: sunset, TTL and TTL-BL"
In response to Reply # 2

Omaha, US

>Thanks for the reply. I don't quite understand "lock the
>flash FV lock. Do you lock the sky in by pressing the shutter
>half way or use the AE lock button on the back of the camera?

I've metered the sky as mentioned and pressed the AE lock button to lock exposure (On my d300 I've set the AE lock button to lock exposure only (Custom Setting f6 (, pg. 306)or simply meter and set the values in M mode.

>Do you then press the FV button on front of the camera to do
>the fv on the couple? Thanks again for your help. Daniel

Yes. With the sb800 in TTL mode compose the picture with the subject in the center of the frame and press the fv button. Recompose and shoot the picture.

I'm pretty new to digital myself but had years of practice using film and less complex strobes. One of the best ways to learn is to simulate this situation some evening just after sundown (doesn't have to be the pretiest sunset)and have someone volunteer as your test subject. Fire off a few shots and readjust your camera settings if necessary.

I'm sure others with more knowlege on the topic could provide additional advise.

dandy49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2009Wed 16-Jun-10 11:17 PM
#4. "RE: sunset, TTL and TTL-BL"
In response to Reply # 3

clearwater, US

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I will be trying it this Friday.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #49222 Previous topic | Next topic