Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #49207
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB900 Help" Previous topic | Next topic
Grandslam Registered since 17th Jan 2009Tue 15-Jun-10 05:31 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB900 Help"

GB

I am using my D200 and brand ne wSB900 to help shoot some wedding pics this friday and wondered what settings for camera/flash would be a good starting point.

Planning to shoot a few indoor and remaining outside, I am using Nikon 17-55 and 70-200 lens'.

should for e.g. I shoot at f4 @ 1/60th iso 400?

any help in this area most appreciated

Grandslam

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Tue 15-Jun-10 06:07 PM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB900 Help"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 15-Jun-10 06:08 PM by SRFast

New York City, US

Tim:
If you haven't read Russ McDonald's "Nikon CLS Practical Guide", you should. Here's the link: http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com

As for the indoor settings, set the SB-900 to TTL (not TTL-BL) mode. I usually set my D3 to Manual with ISO 400, WB=Flash, SS=1/60 or 1/80 sec. I set the f-stop to f/5.6 and change it to achieve the DOF I want.

Hope this helps & good luck....JL

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Thu 17-Jun-10 07:26 PM
960 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB900 Help"
In response to Reply # 0

St Louis, US

Tim,

>Planning to shoot a few indoor and remaining outside, I am
>using Nikon 17-55 and 70-200 lens'.

I second the great advice you received. Definitely checking out Russ' blog will be quite helpful.
For shooting outdoors, if your subject is backlit, I would shoot in TTL-BL mode. I have found setting the camera to program mode works best with this combination.
When shooting indoors in TTL, I sometimes turn my flash exposure down by 1/3 to get a proper exposure.

What program mode are you going to be using on your camera? I like to have my camera set on manual and use my flash in either TTL or manual.

Best of luck with your upcoming shoot.

Cheryl

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #49207 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.