nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #48774
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best rechargable batteries for SB-600" Previous topic | Next topic
ABAS Gold Member Nikonian since 11th May 2010Thu 20-May-10 03:27 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best rechargable batteries for SB-600"

Mem Martins, PT

Hi everybody,

I would ike your opinion about the best rechargable batteries for SB-600 flash.

Kindest regards,

Alex.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Best rechargable batteries for SB-600
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
20th May 2010
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
21st May 2010
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
21st May 2010
nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
21st May 2010
Freewheeler10
22nd May 2010
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
22nd May 2010

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 20-May-10 05:53 PM
27262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best rechargable batteries for SB-600"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Alex,

I use Sanyo Eneloop Low Self Discharge batteries with MAHA chargers.
There are a few other brands of Low Discharge batteries available.
The advantage of the Low Discharge batteries is their internal resistance is lower than the standard NiMh batteries, thus they generate much less heat and will maintain a charge for a much longer period of time. Standard NiMh batteries loose 5% or more of their charge per day. The Low Discharge batteries will hold up to 85% of their charge after 1 year. They also recycle the Speedlight a little faster than the standard NiMh batteries.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 21-May-10 01:01 PM
26952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Best rechargable batteries for SB-600"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I'm using Immedion low-discharge NiMH. I get them from the same place that sells the PowerEx C-9000 charger that I use for all of my NiMH batteries, Maha.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberFri 21-May-10 01:14 PM
6032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best rechargable batteries for SB-600"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>I would ike your opinion about the best rechargable batteries
>for SB-600 flash.

Another vote for Eneloops. I buy them (and the Maha rechargers) at Thomas Distributing: http://www.thomasdistributing.com/shop/sanyo-eneloop-aa-2000-mah-4-battery-pack-brultra-low-discharge-nimhbr1-free-4-cell-battery-case-p-287.html?SP_id=50&osCsid=a98rm8a91donrsllit8gi3gna7

Eneloops were one of the first Low Self-Discharge batteries on the market, and they have only 2000 msHrs capacity, so they give less flashes per charge than the higher capacity regular NiMH.

However, now there are some newer brands that have 2100 mAhrs, and I just noticed that Ansmann has a brand new one with 2500 mAhrs capacity. It would be interesting to know if it has just as low self discharge characteristics as the Eneloops.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004Fri 21-May-10 05:39 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Best rechargable batteries for SB-600"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I also use Eneloops, for almost 2 years now, I think.

I have a lot of them, maybe 40+ at the moment. I have 3 SB-800's using the 5th door, so that requires 15. A 2nd set takes me to 30. I do use them for other things, and as "emergency batteries" if I'm out of alkalines for things that should use that type. There quickly comes a point where it's very difficult to manage a large herd of NiMH batteries if they discharge fairly quickly since there is no way to measure the capacity remaining. From a practical point of view I stopped using other types just to simplify this end of the battery problem. When I put a set in a speedlight, I know they will give me 90+ percent of their rated capacity, even if I last charged them months ago.

They also work well in my cordless mice, which run through a pair of AA's in about a month or two. A normal NiMH self-discharges too fast for that application. Also in a Logitech remote that eats a set of batteries in a week with heavy use and monthly with light use. I don't use them in standard remotes and other things where an alkaline will last a year or more.

Nikonians Team
My Gallery

Freewheeler10 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Sat 22-May-10 01:15 PM
1105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Best rechargable batteries for SB-600"
In response to Reply # 0

Englewood, US

Eneloops sure seem to work great here!

Where there is perhaps a province in which the photograph can tell us
nothing more than what we see with our own eyes, there is another in
which it proves to us how little our eyes permit us to see.
____Dorothea Lange

http://gallery.me.com/freewheeler
http://freewheeler10.blogspot.com/

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSat 22-May-10 02:16 PM
8309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Best rechargable batteries for SB-600"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

I prefer Eneloop or Immedion low self discharge NiMH batteries, depending on whether I am shopping at B&H or Thomas Distributing respectively. I prefer Thomas Distributing for my battery/recharging needs.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #48774 Previous topic | Next topic