Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #485
View in linear mode

Subject: "TTL with SB28" Previous topic | Next topic
Gopinath Basic MemberWed 24-Oct-01 09:30 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"TTL with SB28"

New Delhi, IN

Can any one figure out what could have gone wrong in this situation? I was shooting with my newly acquired SB 28 on Nikon F70 with a 70-150mm non-AI lens. The Flash was set at TTL for non-AI, camera set at aperture priority and lens at f/8 on 100ASA film. The subject i was shooting was 8 feet away, which is well within the distance gauge shown in the flash's display screen. But, the result was: Complete underexposure. Isnt that in TTL mode the flash should shower sufficient light irrespective of set aperture? Im still unable to figure out what went wrong.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 25-Oct-01 12:18 AM
33917 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: TTL with SB28"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Namaste:
Let the camera-flash lead you into the realm of accurate TTL flash. Set your N70 at P, the flash on TTL, fire at whatever aperture/speed it sets itself. You'll see the difference.
In the case you described, f/8 was too small for the flash to handle, even at maximum output.
Question: what do you mean by TTL non-AI? How it can be TTL if it is non-AI?
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

odie Basic MemberThu 25-Oct-01 02:30 AM
206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: TTL with SB28"
In response to Reply # 1

Did you say an non-AI lens? JRP is right, you can't even meter with that camera and that lens.
Unless it was converted!

Ed Basic MemberThu 25-Oct-01 04:03 AM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: TTL with SB28"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Gopinath, I assume you're talking about the venerable 70-150mm f/3.5 Series E lens. There is no "AI" designation on it, no Series E lens has, but for all intents and purposes, it's the same as an AIS lens.

Okay, I'll assume that that's the lens we're talking about. For that lens to work with TTL flash, you will have to manually set the aperture on the SB-28 to the same aperture you set on your lens. This older lens communicates its aperture to the F70 via a mechanical linkage (not CPU contacts) and so the aperture is not communicated to the SB-28. And also why you're limited to only aperture-priority and manual exposure modes (I bet). Manually setting the aperture on the flash will correct the problem.

I have this lens and that's how I use it with TTL flash with an F4 and SB-24. Hope that helps (if my assumption is correct).

Ed

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Gopinath Basic MemberSat 27-Oct-01 05:54 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: TTL with SB28"
In response to Reply # 3

New Delhi, IN

Your assumption is right Ed, I was using the same 70-150mm f/3.5 E-Series lens. I will try out your suggestion. Apologies for double posting though it was unintended.
Gops

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #485 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.