nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Portable studio with Two SB-80DX's?

emachuca

Merida, MX
296 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
emachuca Registered since 25th Sep 2002
Wed 04-Jun-03 01:46 AM

Hi,

I've been reading the posts and answers about multiple flash. I have an F80/SB-80DX/SC-17 sync cable and was wondering how to "replicate" studio ligthing with two SB-80DX flash heads.

If I understand correctly, if I place one flash on the F80 hotshoe, that will be the master flash, and the remote, a slave unit. But what if I want to have the master flash at 45 degress or away from the camera, and the fill flash on or next to the camera? (just like a normal lighting setup)

Say, should I use the SC-17 cable from the hotshoe to hook the main flash remotely (at 45 degress from the subject) and then send back a SC-18 cable from the main flash to the fill flash next to the camera? can I connect the SC-18 directly to the input of the fill flash or do I also need the AS-10? considering both flashes are SB-80DX.

Now the tricky question. With the above arrangement (if it works), if I use Matrix and Program mode, will the main flash behave as a main light and the slave flash as a fill light??? Or should I be worrying about manual setups for flash output and spot-metering?

For a studio portrait I don't mind about manual setups and using a flash meter as there's time; but in quicker situations such as weddings or photojournalism, will it work with Matrix/Program? My intention is to replicate Main/Fill lighting on the go.

Sorry for this lenghty message but I already read the SB80 manual several times and the messages on this forum and searched the web for info and can't still find my own answer.

Thanks a lot!

eMac

There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary code and those who don't.

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Portable studio with Two SB-80DX's?

G