Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #48100
View in linear mode

Subject: "Experience with Radio Popper customer service (STOLEN P..." Previous topic | Next topic
mzulick Registered since 10th Jun 2009Wed 31-Mar-10 06:59 PM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Experience with Radio Popper customer service (STOLEN PACKAGE)"
Wed 31-Mar-10 07:04 PM by mzulick

Lancaster, US

I thought I would never have to deal with it...I had a delivered package opened and the contents stolen. I arrived home to find the neatly opened box in the entryway to my apartment.

I ordered an extra Radio Popper JrX Studio Receiver for my vacation and had it 2nd day aired to arrive on time.

Needless to say I did not have it for vacation.

I arrived home at 2am (eastern) (from work to leave for vacation) and this was when I found the package. I wrote an email to RP customer service explaining what happened immediately.

That same day at around noon (eastern) I received an email and voice mail from a customer service rep at RP apologizing for the event and asking me to contact them. I did and they essentially stated they (they being the company in general- so it seemed at least) didn't know what they could do seeing as the package was delivered, but would check and get back to me.

I gave them 6 days and called them back- they still stated they didn't know what they could do and suggested I order a new one and they would honor a refund should the entire issue get resolved (package returned or reimbursement by shipper). Not a satisfactory answer, in my opinion.

At this point I was about ready to post my current stock of JrX equipment for sale and never deal with the company again...

I decided I would attempt to help them. Through a contact at UPS, I informed them THEY needed to make a claim and advised them of this. UPS should reimburse for the cost of the package because they left a package in a common entryway at a multifamily dwelling which, as I was informed, they are not supposed to do.

Shortly after I emailed them this information, they called me and said they were working on figuring out what to do with UPS, but in the meantime they were going to ship me a replacement.

This is the last contact I had with Radio Popper Support- the email was sent from <info@radiopopper.com> and stated as follows:

<quote>

Per our conversation over the phone, we will be shipping your replacement JrX Studio receiver from your original order <...> via UPS Ground. A UPS representative will be contacting you in the near future to take a look at the package that you reported as broken into. Again, we greatly apologize for the misfortune of the package being stolen at your doorstep. We would appreciate your assistance in resolving this issue by notifying your landlord of this theft and seeing if perhaps anyone noticed any suspicious activity so that UPS will have as much information as possible in their search in locating the contents of your package. We will be shipping this replacement in the same manner as the original package, with our shipper's release of liability. Because we are replacing the contents of this package as a gesture of goodwill, please note that we will not be able to offer the same service if the instance were to happen again.

</quote>

I have received shipping information and the expected delivery date is a day I will be home ( thank goodness).

I hope it gets delivered and I can put this behind me. I did not want to stop using Radio Poppers because I believe they are a reliable, cost effective, and viable alternative to PWs for me.

*If anyone has better information than what I have posted please feel free to comment and let me know- my intent is to present the least biased, mostly opinion free representation of what happened.

----------------------
Matthew Zulick, NREMT-P

I reside in Lancaster,PA. Please feel free to contact me at mzulick(at)gmail.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

nl Basic MemberWed 31-Mar-10 08:03 PM
833 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Experience with Radio Popper customer service (STOLEN PACKAGE)"
In response to Reply # 0

West Hartford, US

Sorry to hear about your stolen RP. It generally sucks when this sort of thing happens. UPS as a general rule leaves packages on my front stoop, and so far I have been fortunate to have had no theft issues or damaged goods.

I don't know exactly what the liability of the carrier vs the seller is when something like this happens. I would have assumed that UPS was responsible if they do not comply with the terms of whatever the agreement is when you ship with them, presumably available on their website. It has also been my understanding that UPS packages are insured for up to $100 with the shipping cost, and you can purchase more coverage, so I wonder if you could at the least exercise that option.

My experience with Fedex parallels yours with UPS, however. A few years ago, I ordered a textbook online and was able to get it for a very good price, but the only shipping option was Fedex Ground. I rarely order if I have to take shipping Fedex ground, as I have found them totally unreliable for shipping to my house - one night, the delivery guy slipped up to the door and left a non-delivery notice stating that no one was home to sign for the package while I was actually sitting in the house watching him do this!

Anyway, I had the book shipped to my office where I figured my receptionist could sign for it and avoid a missed delivery. When the book did not arrive in a timely fashion, I checked the Fedex website and found it labelled as delivered. You can actually pull up the signature of the person who signed for it from Fedex (after jumping through a bunch of hoops) and there was the signature of someone who's name did not match anyone in my office.

When I called Fedex, they disavowed any responsibility as the package had been signed for. It did not seem to matter (to them) that it had apparently been delivered somewhere else and signed for someone at a different address from my office! They told me they would have to investigate and would advise me of their determination. Several months later I got a letter saying they were basically completely washing their hands of any responsibility. By then, fortunately, the office that incorrectly got my book realized the mistake, and had called me and delivered it to my office for me.

Since then, no Fedex ground for me.

I hope you are able to get your problem resolved more easily than I did!

nl

mzulick Registered since 10th Jun 2009Thu 01-Apr-10 12:32 AM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Experience with Radio Popper customer service (STOLEN PACKAGE)"
In response to Reply # 1

Lancaster, US

It seems as though things are taken care of on my end and hopefully the shipper will even up with UPS in good time.

When UPS breaks their own internal policy (which is there to avoid these things) and there is a loss as a direct result of that violation, at the very least it is a breach of contract. There was an agreement made between the merchant and UPS to ship a package, whereby UPS would presumably follow their internal policy as part of that agreement until fulfillment.

----------------------
Matthew Zulick, NREMT-P

I reside in Lancaster,PA. Please feel free to contact me at mzulick(at)gmail.com

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 01-Apr-10 08:07 AM
3312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Experience with Radio Popper customer service (STOLEN PACKAGE)"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

After a long driver's strike about 10 years ago, UPS changed its procedures to put more pressure on drivers for deliveries without regard to how packages were delivered, just faster. That is when the "just drop it off on the door step" routine started. Of course to make that work the company had to drop its 3rd party insurance and become self-ensuring. At the time I owned a large service center for professional audio equipment as using in recording studios. A real nightmare started that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Essentially UPS just stopped honoring insurance claims that arose from this new "drop at the door" policy. It also caused an increase in damaged shipments due to new driver work rules that allowed, or encouraged them to just drop large parcels to the ground from the truck. When we suddenly started filing claims daily we realized no claims were honored, or even responded to. They did not deny them, they ignored them entirely so there was no one to contract or get some sort of resolution. I gave the business to my employees 7 years ago but I still have over $300,000 in unresponded to claims opened at that time in the weeks before we realized they had no intention of replacing stolen or damaged dear. Our claims went from 1 a month before the new policy to 4-6 a day afterwards. We switched to FedEx but there were many problems with their offered services not quite matching our needs so we started working with the USPS and all our claim losses stopped. We also got free shipping boxes, PO Box delivery etc.
I return to the US every 3-6 months for 2 weeks and often order something on-line that is not available here. I notice their policy of just dropping parcels at doors, fully visible to busy sidewalks continues. I was in the garden doing some work and saw the UPS truck come up, the driver made NO attempt to even look to see that I was standing 15 feet from him when he just through the parcel from B&H the last 8 feet to the door. There was no attempt to knock on the door or ring the bell. It bounced off the door and tumbled on the ground but he had already was around the corner heading to his truck. If it had been a new D3s, and I was not there immediately able to retrieve it, it would have been gone in minutes with no notice on the door of a delivery attempt. I would have not known if B&H had not shipped it. UPS records will have shown it was delivered to the receiver so the loss of the $5000 camera would be that of the home owner. Sure there is tracking but all that says is that they delivered it so it become entirely the home owners responsibility and UPS will not honor claims after it deems it delivered.
Seeing how mail order in the US is driving all the smaller merchants out of every town and city in the country, it is just a fact of "modern" life that there is a lot of losses absorbed by buyers, billions every year and it will only get a lot worse.
This case above tries to put the problem onto the company but since it was delivered they really have limited responsibility. Your loss will be due to UPS actions, not Radio Popper.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mzulick Registered since 10th Jun 2009Thu 01-Apr-10 04:02 PM
#4. "RE: Experience with Radio Popper customer service (STOLEN PACKAGE)"
In response to Reply # 0

Lancaster, US

Just to ensure absolute clarity in my intent for this post:

I am not placing fault with Radio Popper, the fault is all on UPS. I became a tad upset that RP seemed unwilling to assist me with resolution. This issue has been resolved on my end by Radio Popper (and RP will likely receive many more transactions from me because of this). I just hope RP works things out with UPS.

----------------------
Matthew Zulick, NREMT-P

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #48100 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.