nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

No white walls or ceilings

dclarhorn

Berwyn Heights, US
14415 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002
Mon 29-Mar-10 02:53 AM | edited Mon 29-Mar-10 02:55 AM by dclarhorn

Researching on the internet, it seems most if not all discussions for camera mounted flash strobe diffusion center on bouncing the light off the ceiling and/or walls for a softer, more pleasing light on the subject. That's fine and I do that several ways--with my SB-800 diffuser dome box, or using the pull out white card or my own foam card design I made from one of the DIY methods on the web. They all work pretty well. But as designed, most of the light is bounced.

My question is what method and/or product do you use when you are in large dim ballroom type rooms with no white ceilings? Bouncing the light just results in lost light and making your strobe use more power than necessary.

I do a lot of event work and the methods listed above work okay for me, but still, most of the light is wasted as it is thrown up toward the distant dark ceiling, right? I'm not happy with the results when I point my flash head straight at my subject. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: No white walls or ceilings

G