Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #479
View in linear mode

Subject: ""Flash compensation" on SB-23" Previous topic | Next topic
FMDan Basic MemberTue 23-Oct-01 09:42 PM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
""Flash compensation" on SB-23"

US

Is there a way to simulate flash compensation with an F4 and an SB-23, even though you can't do it directly on the SB-23 unit?

If I'm doing matrix balanced fill flash and I want to "dial" the fill back by a stop, isn't there a way I can fiddle with either the ISO setting or the exposure compensation to accomplish essentially the same thing as actually dialing back the fill on, say, an SB-28?

If so, is there more than one way to do it and is one way easier than another?

Thanks,

Dan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: "Flash compensation" on SB-23
Ed
24th Oct 2001
FMDan
24th Oct 2001
Ed
25th Oct 2001
FMDan
25th Oct 2001
FMDan
27th Oct 2001

Ed Basic MemberWed 24-Oct-01 02:30 AM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: "Flash compensation" on SB-23"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'm not familiar with the SB-23 but the standard procedure would be to set a higher ISO on the camera (e.g. set ISO 200 for a ISO 100 film for a -1 flash fill). The Nikon Speedlight thinks it's ISO 200 and will provide 1 stop less light. Then, for your ambient exposure, dial in +1 compensation on the camera body to cancel the higher ISO. The flash will not be affected by the "+" compensation on the body.

The trick is to remember to reset everything when you're done with fill flash work!

Ed

FMDan Basic MemberWed 24-Oct-01 12:25 PM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: "Flash compensation" on SB-23"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Ah, yes. I knew it was something like that. So the flash is unaffected by the exposure compensation on the body. I understand. Great, thanks.

BTW, how come nobody says ASA anymore?

Dan

Ed Basic MemberThu 25-Oct-01 03:20 AM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: "Flash compensation" on SB-23"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Oops, sorry Dan, my first reply was misleading. I should have made it clear that what I posted was standard procedure for much older cameras (like the FE2 which offers TTL flash metering) when paired with TTL flash units that do not offer flash compensation. When used with its dedicated Speedlight unit SB-24, the F4's body-side exposure compensation does affect the flash output. But, I don't have experience with the SB-23 and I don't know how it will react with the F4's exposure compensation. I guess what I was trying to say was give the old procedure a try and see what you get in terms of fill flash.

Ed

FMDan Basic MemberThu 25-Oct-01 12:52 PM
#4. "RE: "Flash compensation" on SB-23"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Oh. Ok. Well, I'll give it a shot. Thanks, Ed.

Anyone out there know how this will work with the SB-23 on an F4?

FMDan Basic MemberSat 27-Oct-01 04:50 PM
#5. "RE: "Flash compensation" on SB-23"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hmm. According to Nikon, this will _not_ work on an F4, as the exposure compensation and the change in ISO _will_ cancel each other out as far as the flash is concerned.

They said the only way to do this on an F4 is to, in manual mode, meter for the ambient exposure, then change only the ISO to fool the flash. Then, of course, ignore the meter.

Anyone disagree with this?

Dan

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #479 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.