Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #47491
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB22 with my D5000" Previous topic | Next topic
AJD5000 Registered since 02nd Mar 2010Tue 02-Mar-10 07:38 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB22 with my D5000"

US

In order to use my SB22, (Purchased with my N2020 years ago), on my new D5000, I will not be able to utilize the TTL function. How difficult will it be to use this flash in Auto and Manual mode on my D5000? Or should I go ahead with the SB-600? Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB22 with my D5000
MEMcD Moderator
02nd Mar 2010
AJD5000
03rd Mar 2010
Arkayem Moderator
03rd Mar 2010
AJD5000
03rd Mar 2010
Arkayem Moderator
03rd Mar 2010

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 02-Mar-10 08:39 PM
25048 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB22 with my D5000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Alex,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Getting an SB-600 would be the best way to go! The beauty of TTL (i-TTL) is it is so easy to use ang get predictable and consitantly excellent results.
However Non-TTL Auto flash mode works very well in most situations if you are willing to put the effort in:
I would recommend setting the D5000 in Manual Exposure mode with Manual ISO as well. Set the ISO that you will be using into the calculator built into the SB-22 to determine your Aperture based on the flash to subject distance. Set the Aperture accordingly. Set the shutter speed as desired up to the maximum sync speed (1/200th sec.) And fire away. Keep an eye an your flash to subject distance to be sure that you don't get too close or too far away based on the flash calculator.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

AJD5000 Registered since 02nd Mar 2010Wed 03-Mar-10 01:00 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB22 with my D5000"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the ideas. I will use it as you suggested until I get some $$$ to go ahead with the SB600.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberWed 03-Mar-10 05:06 PM
5954 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB22 with my D5000"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 03-Mar-10 05:09 PM by Arkayem

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>In order to use my SB22, (Purchased with my N2020 years ago),
>on my new D5000, I will not be able to utilize the TTL
>function. How difficult will it be to use this flash in Auto
>and Manual mode on my D5000? Or should I go ahead with the
>SB-600? Thanks

Hi8 Alex,

Welcome to Nikonians!

Marty's post was correct, but I wanted to add some details since I have used the SB-22 (many years ago).

Choose what ISO you will use and set it on flash and camera.

Choose what f/ stop you want to use with the selector switch on your flash (A1=(f/8), A2=f/5.6, A3=f/4, and A4=f/2.8)). Check the range chart to make sure the f/ stop you choose is adequate for the range of the subject.

Set the same f/ stop on your camera.

Set the shutter to any speed at or slower than Flash Sync.

Point and shoot.

The flash will handle its own exposure automatically, but you have to remember that the flash will add to whatever ambient there is, so negative flash compensation will often be needed in bright ambient conditions, depending on what shutter speed you have chosen.

You can also tilt the head to bounce the flash and it will handle the exposure properly.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

AJD5000 Registered since 02nd Mar 2010Wed 03-Mar-10 05:13 PM
#4. "RE: SB22 with my D5000"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks Russ, Funny thing. I own several point and shoot cameras and even though I have owned the N2020 for years, I have always relied upon the automatic features of it, using it as my crutch for not learning about how to properly set up the shots. I purchased the D5000 in a similar manner because of it's automatic features. Using the SB22 is going to force me to learn and apply the manual side of taking a picture. I need to quit saying I don't have time to learn about it!! Thanks, Alex

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberWed 03-Mar-10 05:51 PM
5954 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB22 with my D5000"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Thanks Russ, Funny thing. I own several point and shoot
>cameras and even though I have owned the N2020 for years, I
>have always relied upon the automatic features of it, using it
>as my crutch for not learning about how to properly set up the
>shots. I purchased the D5000 in a similar manner because of
>it's automatic features. Using the SB22 is going to force me
>to learn and apply the manual side of taking a picture. I
>need to quit saying I don't have time to learn about it!!
>Thanks, Alex

Well, flash photography is easy as long as you are in a relatively dim room. Then, the flash supplies all the exposure. So, I recommend you experiement with your flash indoors in regular indoor lighting ith a fairly high shutter speed, so the ambient light will not contribute to the exposure.

It is important to understand that the shutter speed does not affect the flash portion of the exposure (because the flash fires entirely while the shutter is open no matter what shutter speed you choose (up to flash sync speed)). The shutter speed only affects the ambient portion of a flash picture.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #47491 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.