nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Color Correction for Office Lighting

chanrahan

Baltimore, US
176 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
chanrahan Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2004
Wed 03-Feb-10 02:52 PM

Greetings,

I've volunteered to take some pictures for my company to use in some inside publications and website. Almost all of them will be taken in the terrible fluorescent lighting typical in most offices.

I've done a lot of reading on color correction, but I'm having problems putting what I've read into use.

I've calibrated my monitor (using a Spyder device). I'm using the sRGB colorspace both in my camera and in the color management settings for my PC.

All of these pictures were taken with my D700, a Nikon 85mm f/1.8 lens and an SB600 flash mounted in the hot shoe. For the portrait/group shots that I'll have to do, I'll be using off-camera flashes (SB-800 and 2 SB-600) and umbrellas. I don't think that will matter for this color correction test, so I used a much simpler setup. Please let me know if I'm wrong here. All of these pictures were taken at my desk, under lighting similar to what I'll have to deal with around the office.

This first shot is a reference shot. The camera is in manual mode, settings are f4, 1/125, ISO 400, Camera WB set to flourscent, and no flash. The colors in this image are accurate.

Click on image to view larger version

For the second shot, I changed to f/6.3 and turned on the SB-600, which was in TTL mode. I decreased the aperture so that the effect of the flash on the image would be more evident. This image has a blueish green cast when I compare it to the first image.

For the third shot, I added the FL-G1 gel from Nikon's SJ-3 gel set to the SB-600. All other settings remained the same. This image has an extreme green cast to its colors.

For the fourth shot, I added the FL-G2 gel from Nikon's SJ-3 gel set to the SB-600. All other settings remained the same. This image still has a greenish cast to it, but it looks better than the third shot.

For the fifth shot, I added the Rosco 3316 gel from their color correcting kit. This is the best image yet, but there still seems to be an improper cast to the colors when compared with the first image.

Am I on the right track here? Do I just need to find the right gel? Or is the color correction something that I should be doing in either Photoshop or Capture NX?

Any advice is always appreciated.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)

Chris

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Color Correction for Office Lighting

G